Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have got both high and low non Hodgkin lymphoma. I had my final (6th) RCHOP treatment yesterday and have been well all the way through. Although poorly before hand. My partner and I have booked a 19 night holiday to Turkey in early October as I work in a school and we wanted to get a break in before I have to return to work. I am not sure my consultant was too impressed due to risk of infection and I am now worrying about this decision. We will not get any money back if we cancel but have until Tuesday to be able to make any changes such as dates or if one of my children go instead of me. I have thought I will keep out of the pool which will be disappointing but not the end of the world, I will use bottled water for tooth brushing and not have ice. We are all inclusive so it is likely to be buffet food. Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received. I really don’t know what to do and losing sleep. Many thanks
Hi @Tatty and welcome to the forum.
I completely understand why you need a break, especially before you go back to school. It’s a tough one as I think I would be feeling the same as you. As much as I wanted to go I would also be worried if my consultant was concerned. What did he say the risks were?
Can you postpone?
Hi @Tatty welcome and what a dilemma you have, I would be feeling the same as you and @Nichola75.
It would be interesting to hear your consultants reasons and what sort of infections and how you might catch them he is worried about.
I do not wish to add to your worries but do you have suitable travel insurance coverage?
You say you have till next Tuesday to change dates or of one of your children going instead of you. Do you have thoughts on a Plan B?
I attach a copy of a booklet from Blood Cancer UK on travel in case that it is useful to you.
Please do let us know what you decide.
I am so glad that you are feeling well, look after yourself
Blood cancer and travel: your guide | Blood Cancer UK
Thank you Nichola and Erica for your quick responses. My consultant asked about travel insurance which, we have got but was not specific about what he meant. I have left a message for the Clinical Nurse Specialists asking them to get back to lee but this was all only on Thursday and Friday and they haven’t as yet. I think we will need to talk to the travel agents on Monday.
It’s great that you’ve had no problems so far with treatment and entirely understandable that you want a break before going back to work. I believe that chemo carries on working for at least a month after your last treatment so your immune system is likely to be very low still in October and you are therefore very prone to infection. As others have suggested I would discuss your risk level with your CNS/consultant. If I was in your shoes I would definitely try and postpone the trip for at least 3 to 6 months , could you do a trip in the U.K. instead perhaps for now? If you get an infection you may well need immediate hospital treatment with strong antibiotics for it (UK hospitals would have immediate access to your records). Your skin is also very susceptible to sunburn (and skin cancer) so soon after your chemo treatment so you would probably need to stay out of the sun too. A tough decision for you but good luck in whatever you decide.
Thank you all. It has really helped. I am definitely not going decision made so all done now. Thank you again what a valuable resource this is.
I will be viewing topics relating to my on going treatment path.
Thank you again
@Tatty so glad that you have made your decision.
Please do read everything that takes your fancy and you will probably realise that, no matter what our diagnosis is, we still share similar fears, thoughts, feelings and practicalities.
Look after yourself