Non Hodgkin lymphoma

Diagnosed in October 2022, commenced chemo in November 2022z I have had no treatment since March 2023.
Recent scans thankfully remain stable and bloods good.
I am also under Urology, as this is where I was first referred. Diagnosed after various scans with benign cysts in kidneys .
Referred recently by Urology for review scans which resulted in chest scan, result awaited.

Husband and I hoping to go to New Zealand asap to visit son & family, and have a letter from Haemotology/Oncolgy to say I’m fit to travel long distance. They will see me again end of April.
The oncology appointments put visit on hold again.
Has anyone with similar issues travelled long distance with non issues and how did you find getting travel insurance.
Grateful for any information.

1 Like

A great big welcome @Torri and I bet you would like to visit your son and family in New Zealand.
Perhaps it might be best to carefully consider the oncology departments reasons.
Travel insurance is notoriously expensive for Blood Cancer patients.
Perhaps you need to tell the travel insurance company of all pre-existing conditions.
It is worth shopping around.
I attach a recent thread on travel insurance and a link to Staysure that has had a link with Blood Cancer UK.
Travel Insurance - Living with and after blood cancer - Blood Cancer UK Online Community Forum
Good luck and please do let us know how you get on.

I’ve only done European trips since my treatment finished (Jan 2021) but I used Insure With as my insurer for “single trip” insurance with them (they were set up by a cancer survivor). fully disclosed my Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) (and other medical conditions). It was fairly expensive but not too bad. (I know Blood Cancer U.K. also have an arrangement with Staysure for a 20% discount but would suggest you still shop around as quotes vary hugely). You may find that the route you take there ie the specific countries you may touch down in for layovers, may also influence the cost of insurance.

(I too have family in New Zealand )

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

2 Likes

Hi @CaroleCW and @Torri yes, @CaroleCW good point I should have said to shop around and I didn’t.

1 Like

I have fond memories of New Zealand and I visited Auckland, Wellington and just got across to the South Island but only Picton at the very top.I remember lying on the top of a hill near Picton looking up at the southern hemisphere stars.I had my Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma then with hindsight but it was still under the misdiagnosis of Eczema or Psoriasis,I can’t remember which of the two at the time,so I didn’t realize what it was and it was at the pre tumour stage so not life threatening at that point.I think that travel insurance for New Zealand would be very expensive assuming that you could get it.

1 Like

Thank you so much ti each one if you who have replied.
Oncology/Haemotology team happy for me to travel. Unfortunately then got appointments for CT scans from Urology, so awaiting outcome from them.
Thank you for ad use re Travel Insurance and suggested insurers.
I will be sure to declare all medical issues and tryst and pray I will get go ahead from Urology. I will keep you updated as To know more.
Again thank you for your welcome and support and I wish each of you well and continued health to do the things you wish to do. X

2 Likes