Household Members of people who are immunocompromised now on priority list for Covid-19 vaccine

Hi @lousyT

I understand your concern about this issue. My youngest son will also be returning to school soon and the only way we have been able to manage this when he was at school before Christmas is keep him isolated from me and my wife when he comes home. He stays in his room and eats at a separate table from us keeping at least two metres apart and uses a separate bathroom. We’re lucky that we have the space to do this and that’s not going to be possible for many people.

In terms of protection if you feel things are not safe, do you mean protection from being fined if you keep your child off because of concerns about Covid. I am not sure what the legal position would be here. I would suggest talking with the school as soon as possible and explaining your concerns and stressing the high risk that this can present to your health. I found my sons school to be very receptive and put in place additional measures to minimise any risk of him contracting the virus including excusing him from PE and games.

I’m not sure if this helps a lot but I wanted to share our experience and approach.

All the best, Peter

1 Like

Hi @lousyT, I can understand your concern, it is a dilemma perhaps for your whole family to discuss. Perhaps all you can do is to talk to your children’s schools and take all ‘reasonable’ precautions at home, it is a dilemma. Let us know how you get on and I think there will be a whole new thread starting on this issue.

Hi Peter thank you. Unfortunately my daughter is still in primary so I feel it would be bad for her mental health not to be able to hug or get close to me as she needs that comforting feeling. She is also an only child and has always struggled with friends at school. She was authorised to be off for one term, but was forced to go back in for another, even though she had done plenty of work, which we uploaded daily. We didn’t expect work from school as I’m able to help her as I currently am not working. School eventually threatened us with reporting to the local authority education welfare team and sadly many CEV people have experienced this. It really is a tricky situation for everyone. I’m glad that you felt that your school supported you, it’s a shame when it feels like it’s driving a wedge between school and parents.

1 Like

Hi Erica, thank you. Unfortunately as we were threatened with referral to the local authority education welfare team when infections were really high here, I doubt they will take a different stance this time. I don’t really feel it’s right for me to distance from my daughter because of her being a primary school child who is quite needy for affection.

1 Like

Hello All,
It’s a real quandary…will I be protected/won’t I? Can I pass it on even though I’m inoculated, etc.
Well, I’ve now had my 2nd jab. Took 2 paracetamol an hour before & I’m pleased to say, apart from a slightly tender arm, to be expected, I was fine!
Our GP surgery are tearing through their list, I’m pleased to say with a very high uptake.
My hubby had his first on 25th Feb.
So, my 2 weeks will be 8th April, my son’s 34th birthday. I shall be going round to see him that evening with a birthday cake & candles :birthday:. I shall be receiving a cuddle from both him & my grandson. I’ve been in limbo land for long enough…this is the most protection I’m going to have had, I’ll be 13 yrs post AML & 12.5 post SCT. I fought like to remain to watch my family blossom & grow, & I’m going to be amongst them.
I was originally told my life expectancy was 10-15yrs, later at around 7 yrs I was told that the new statistics available showed that the method of SCT I received has not really shortened my life expectancy. So a year out is very valuable to me…I’m going to start living again!

1 Like

Hi there forum family,

We hope you’re all doing okay? We know that this topic has understandably been a significant issue for many within our community- and we just wanted to give you an update on everything we know so far:

With regards to the matter of vaccinating household members of people who are immunocompromised, NHS England are due to issue guidance to GPs about the next steps soon. Once this guidance has been issued, household members should contact their GP directly in order to book their vaccination.

We are clarifying with the government as to whether people in the support bubbles of those who are immunocompromised, but not household members, are included in this vaccination priority change. We’ll continue to keep the blood cancer community updated on the latest developments.

Currently, only England has confirmed that it will be adopting this new guidance from the JCVI. We are seeking confirmation from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and will continue to keep our social media channels and web-pages updated.

We will be sure to keep you all posted everyone :+1: and as said, we also really encourage keeping a close eye on our website and social media channels too.

Su

2 Likes

Hello. I just wanted to say thanks for the work you put into this campaign. I’m so pleased the issue was picked up and remedied.

4 Likes

My thanks too. My household is slightly odd. Two out of four members of the household are shielders (under the new definition) and another one is in one of the older age groups, so 3 of us have had vaccines. By Wednesday all 3 of us will have had both doses. But the fourth member of the household is significantly younger than us and she isn’t interested in having the vaccine. She seems to have the attitude that the virus won’t touch her because she’s young and in good health. I know I can’t really tell anyone else whether they should have the vaccine or not but I feel slightly uneasy that she may unwittingly either contract the virus or pass it on to the other three of us.

1 Like

Hi all, how is everyone getting on with this? Have your household members who are 16+ been able to book their vaccinations or has anyone found issues with this?

2 Likes

Hi there,

I am keen to go ahead and try to get my son vaccinated as a household member, although its a bit complicated with our situation as my son is away at university in term time, but is back now and will be back in mid June for the summer. He’ll be living with us, and working in a shop so we are keen that he has the vaccine in order to protect my husband. Having got some very good advice from Bloodcancer UK, apparently all blood cancer patients, and anyone else with immune issues, should be getting a letter from their GP saying to phone and book the household members for their vaccinations but you need that letter first. So, as ever, we are left waiting for paperwork!!! We are reluctant to contact our GP surgery as we know how busy they are with the whole vaccination programme but I have a GP appointment next week so will ask about it then. The whole process seems to rely on GPs identifying those who have suppressed immune systems and sending out the letter. It seems a lot to put on the GPs when they are so stretched already. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had their letter yet.

1 Like

Hi @Mandypandy please let us know how you get on with getting your son vaccinated.
Does anyone else have an offspring in a similar situation?

Hi @Mandypandy that’s really interesting and useful information about getting other members of the household vaccinated. I hope that you’re able to get your son sorted for his vaccine soon and put your mind at rest.

1 Like

I’ve had an absolute nightmare with this. I have emailed and called so many people and am no further forward. I cannot get my sons (16 and 18) vaccinated. I literally don’t know what else to do. I’ve even contacted the BBC! There is no provision in place for those under 30 that can only have Pfizer. There is no ability to get them sorted out and nobody seems to take responsibility for it. I am at my wits end.

1 Like

Hi Mandy. No letter here and no vaccine either. In fact, I was told categorically in surgery in Saturday that the GP practice is not responsible for getting my sons vaccinated. There seems to be a particular issue with anyone under 30 that can only have Pfizer - the system simply is not organised in a way to deal with this. I have written to my local MP and to the BBC today. I don’t know what else to do!

1 Like

Hello Su. There is a real problem here if you have people in the household under 30. They cannot have AZ and there seems to be no ability in the system to specify Pfizer only ( and it seems a Pfizer shortage too). I am at my wits end. It feels like pushing water uphill. I appreciate that everyone is working hard but it just hasn’t been thought through, and it certainly hasn’t been followed up.

1 Like

Hi @Lisa_Hughes, thank you for your comments on the forum highlighting the issues and the email we received. Your frustration are valid Lisa, rest assured that this specific issue has been raised with management and our policy team.

If there is anything more we can do to help and support you please do reach out to us.

Best Wishes
Bav

1 Like

Hi @Lisa_Hughes, a great big welcome to our forum and I am so pleased you have found us as what you are highlighting is that your sons, aged 16 and 18, are falling through the net.
It must be so frustrating for you trying to fight their cause and just hitting a brick wall.
By highlighting your plight here Blood Cancer UK are now aware of this loophole and they can raise it at a higher level.
Please keep posting how you are getting on and if you get any responses from your GP and the BBC.

Hi @Lisa_Hughes, I’m so sorry you are having so much trouble getting your sons vaccinated. What nightmare for you. My understanding is that there is now another vaccine available other than the Pfizer. Its the Moderna (not sure how to spell it). I don’t know if that will make it easier for us to get our children vaccinated. We still haven’t received a letter from your GP surgery but I have an appointment for something else later so I will make enquiries while I’m there. It feels as though we always have to fight for everything. Its madness. Well done for writing to your MP. I think thats the way to go. I may do the same if I am dissatisfied after my appointment today.

3 Likes

Hi @Mandypandy, please let us know how you get on today at your GP.

2 Likes

Hi @Erica, well I asked the GP about the letter we should be receiving in order to get my son vaccinated but the GP hadn’t heard about it and knew nothing about it. I think she was a locum GP. She suggested I spoke to the receptionist when I phoned in later to book up for blood tests. So I did that. The receptionist hadn’t heard of it either and told me they were only doing 2nd vaccinations at the moment anyway. She said my son would just have to wait until his age group were called for vaccinations. So I explained again how he was entitled to have his vaccination early due to my husbands blood cancer. So she asked her supervisor who told me to phone 111 or 119 and ask them as they can’t help me at the surgery. I haven’t phoned the numbers because I know the advice is that the letter will come from the doctors surgeries. Its very frustrated but we are left just waiting for the letter to arrive. Its not so urgent for us as my son isn’t coming back to live here until June when his uni course finishes for summer. But I feel for everyone else who is trying to get household members vaccinated and I feel its sad for Bloodcancer Uk as they have campaigned so hard for this.

1 Like