Household Members of people who are immunocompromised now on priority list for Covid-19 vaccine

Hi everyone

I’m new to forum but have been a reader from this website for around a year.

I was passionate about the campaign to vaccinate households as I’ve recently had a stem cell transplant and yet my husband is still having to work in a shop.
There wasn’t any advice on furlough for partners of the most vulnerable either. I feel like we are the forgotten group.

The reason for my post is I received a letter from the house of commons yesterday after writing to my MP with the help of BCUK.
The letter just basically said thanks but no thanks.
The excuse was: we are not certain that vaccines prevent transmission.
However, in the news this week the astrazeneca has been studied that it can prevent transmission, so is it worth writing again?

2 Likes

Welcome @Mand to posting on our forum. At least you got a response from your MP, it is up to you to decide whether to write back to your MP or not but perhaps what have you got to lose.
I hope you have found this forum supportive, I certainly do and don’t forget if you would like to talk you can contact our Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk. There is also a lot of information on the Blood Cancer UK website about shielding and furloughing.
I really look forward to hearing more about you, take care and stay safe.

Hello everybody. Just an update on my own situation as wife of someone who’s had three types of lymphoma and had chemo and immunotherapy last year.

I tried and failed to book a vaccination through the NHS website as they’re not automatically being offered to spouses of CEV people in our area. I was going to wait in the car when he went for his jab tonight and he was going to ask if they had any spares. But the vaccination centre rang him this morning to offer an earlier appointment so he asked about me and after answering a few questions, they’ve actually booked me in.

It’s a small local centre so I don’t know if this makes a difference because it means they know already that they’ll have extra doses today. I still don’t think it’s a fair system at all. It goes against the grain to push myself forward like this and I know many won’t do so. A central decision needs to be made for everyone with a CEV housemate. But I hope this is helpful to anyone in the same situation.

1 Like

@Jill1 You are obviously a caring person, but I am really glad you have had your vaccine as a wife and carer, it makes so, so much logical sense. I have grown more of a voice of the years. Take care both of you.

1 Like

Thank you, Erica. I have found a bit more of a voice in the last couple of years. Always easier to advocate for others though.

1 Like

My husband accompanied me to my jab appt but they wouldn’t play ball.

1 Like

Hi @Corfu80, taking your husband with you was worth a try!!
Take care and stay safe.

I am sure many of you, like me, are concerned and anxious about the pending relaxation of lockdown. I have had my vaccination but until we know how much protection they provide it is difficult to have a great deal of confidence in them, especially when there ae still millions of adults that need to have theirs.

Clearly being on treatment exposes your risk even further and therefore I am surprised that those within our households are not applicable for the vaccine at the same time as us. I appreciate there is guidance around paid carers and those who are sole carers for the disabled being able to have it. I would be interested to hear of anyone whose spouse has managed to get the vaccine and how. Equally, does BCUK have any updates on this please?

1 Like

Hi @Hopefulness

That’s great that you have had your vaccination now. I have also had mine and was so pleased when I was called for it two weeks ago. In terms of the effectiveness there is a really encouraging report in today’s Independent which details some initial research on the effectiveness of the vaccines based on those who were vaccinated between December and February. It reports that both Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines are significantly reducing the severity of Covid cases in those who have been vaccinated. You can find a link to the article here:

In terms of carers being vaccinated I think this is varying across the U.K. In Northern Ireland family members who are carers can now get vaccinations. I suspect this will also be the case in the rest of the U.K. soon if it hasn’t already started.

Overall more good news coming out now particularly with the rollout of the vaccinations.

All the best,

Peter

1 Like

Does anybody know if my husband and stepdaughter will also get the vaccine if I am eligible to get it being in the clinically vulnerable group?

1 Like

Not at the moment, unless they are in any of the other priority groups. This link is really useful and answers all off those questions

How are things with you?

2 Likes

Yes I think they said at one stage that they would do all of the household but then changed their minds. Blood Cancer UK have been pushing for this so all hope is not lost.

3 Likes

I really think they should. I would feel more secure knowing my husband and stepdaughter were vaccinated too.

2 Likes

Hi @TM1972 I think the government realised that for every one clinically extremely vulnerable there was 0,1, 2 or more people living or caring with that person.

1 Like

It’s the same sort of logic as vaccinating care staff at the same time as those in care homes.

2 Likes

Hi @Hopefulness Thank you for creating a topic on this! I hope you don’t mind I’ve just grouped all the vaccinate household members topics in one thread so that it’s easier for everyone who’s interested in this topic to see all the different posts about it.
Please be assured that we will continue to push this issue with the decision makers within the government and will be sure to keep people in the blood cancer community updated.
May I ask how you’ve been doing?

1 Like

Thanks for your response Peter. I feel I should be clear, I am referring to the effectiveness in BC patients and not within the general population. I don’t want to come across as sounding negative, I am completely of the mind that some protection is better than none, but as yet there is no evidence within BC patients.

2 Likes

Thanks Alice, I completely understand and apologise I did not see this thread before posting my own. I have been doing fine following my Vaccination thank you, no issues with it whatsoever.

1 Like

No need to apologise at all! Really good to hear!

1 Like

I am really concerned. Jenny Harries says it’s too early for children to ‘hug their granny’ despite vaccination, yet CEV people were in the over 70s JCVI category and face potential prosecution if they don’t return their kids to school on March 8. What protection is there for us if we decide it’s not safe?

1 Like