How are people coping with the heat?

Hello. How are people coping with this dreadful heat? It’s really affecting me physically so I haven’t been going out as much. Shielding in my room which attracts all of the sun and heat all day long hasn’t helped. I’m constantly having to mop my brow. Heat seems to have been a running theme through my cancer journey with the summer of my diagnosis being the one of record temperatures. When my life frees up the heat seems to go away!

3 Likes

I never deal well with the heat and night-time is the worst! The back of our house holds the heat during the afternoon and evening. From FB posts some people seem to have taken to sleeping outdoors under a gazebo. I have been keeping curtains closed around the house according to where the sun is, and that is helping

1 Like

It really has been unbearable. We are in Devon and are lucky to have the sea breeze! Are you able to get out and find a cool spot outside or is it too hot to venture out?

1 Like

Nighttime’s are just awful aren’t they @Pisces56. Perhaps we should all try sleeping in a gazebo!

2 Likes

It’s absolutely awful.
I get the sun blazing on my bedroom and lounge, I’ve closed the windows after 7am after having them open since 4am today.
When I got up at 4am it was 27 degrees in my lounge.
Fan been running and temperature up to 26 degrees already!!
I can’t go outside as my chemotherapy makes my skin extremely sensitive to sunlight.
Another day indoors with cold wet flannel on my head🤡

1 Like

Have you tried a bowl of cold water near the fan as it helps circulate cold air rather than the hot air that is present in the room?

1 Like

I certainly have, all the time we have had the high temperatures
Best wishes
Anthony

2 Likes

I have to keep a towel permanently by my side as I can’t bare it. I remember when I was in hospital 2 years ago and we had that record spell of hot weather that people were saying they came to visit me because it was cooler in the hospital than outside!

2 Likes

Hi @Franko, @Pisces56 and @Blackhat. I have just bought my two daughters a gel pillow which can be put in the fridge to make it even cooler. It’s great for high times and they have said makes them feel a lot cooler.

2 Likes

@Nichola75 I saw those pillows advertised this weekend and wondered if anyone had tried them. You will be able to tell when I have got one as the hot spell will come to an abrupt end :joy:

2 Likes

@Pisces56, let’s hope your hot spell ends soon. Let me know :joy:

2 Likes

20.35 and we have rain and a thunderstorm. Still very sticky though so I am going to repurpose my wine cooler(the sort that is soft and bottle slides into it) which I don’t use as I can’t drink now :sleepy:

2 Likes

It’s been relentless in south east London with not even a drop of rain. The last few nights in particular have been very uncomfortable. It’s been slightly bearable early in the morning if I’ve popped out for some milk or bread. Those pillows sound good. Better than my wringing wet ones after an attempt at sleeping. You’ll get to use your wine cooler for wine again and it will be all the more pleasurable when it happens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been a puddle for the last few days!. My internal thermostat is bad at the best of times but at the moment it is hopeless. Luckily we have a shady garden - perhaps sleeping outside would be good!

2 Likes

Hi, @CarolO, Yes, my internal thermostat is also bad. To be honest our flat is not too bad apart from one side, but I am keeping the blinds down which is helping and going out for a walk early in the morning. It gets a bit hot in the kitchen when I am cooking though. My hair tends to drip though and I keep on towel drying it and when it dries it sticks out in all directions. I like @Pisces56’s idea with the wine cooler. If I still had a hot water bottle I might try filling it with cold water and keeping it in the fridge till I used it.

1 Like

I just held it to my chest and it worked a treat Erica. @ Franko I occasionally have a small glass of white, but as I now suffer from gout, and have heart and lung issues I cannot afford to have an attack, and am on permanent medication. Tomorrow I have my annual blood test to check liver, kidneys and thyroid

1 Like

Let us know how you get on @Pisces56. Going to be another hot day so I hope you manage to stay cool x

1 Like

Hi everyone, glad this thread has been started!! I find the heat really drains me, work is hard for me any way so this heat is making it even worse as my energy levels aren’t great since my treatment. I find myself hoping for a grey day so I can feel a little better but I have to be careful what I say because a lot people love it and talking about how they are sitting out in it etc when all I want to do is find the coolest place possible! And if I have a few bad nights sleep that just adds to it!!! Anyone else find the heat more draining since their diagnosis?

2 Likes

Morning all! 5 minute drive to surgery, knock on well signposted side door, nurse takes me into room, hand gel, into another room where another waits, does my bloods (so busy chatting didn’t notice her take them), back to first nurse for more sanitiser, then home. They are taking no chances with this patient as doctor has requested a full screen.
Another hot and sticky one, but I did enjoy the free lights show last night. Lots of cool water in order today…the question is whether it is internal or external

1 Like

Hi @Pisces56, thanks for the update, your appointment sounds well organised and safe.
No thunder, lightening or rain here, I am convinced I live in a desert oasis here. I shall be mentally imaging your cool water dilemma, whatever works for you I say !!!

1 Like