How has the past month been for you?

It’s been good thanks. Passed the interview With Lymphoma Action and I attend training to deliver workshops on Lymphoma in January. A little nervous to say the least but a really positive step in my journey! This term is very busy at work so I’m glad the school holidays are here. It’s the only holiday where I refuse to do any work from home and just plan to enjoy time with the family. Hoping the new year is a good one fr all off us X

4 Likes

Congratulations on passing the interview with Lymphoma Action. Its natural to be nervous but I’m sure you will be wonderful once you get into it. Enjoy the festive season with your family and wishing you and your family an amazing 2020.

2 Likes

Enjoy your very special time without any school work. It sounds as if 2020 will be a hectic, exciting year for you. I wish you good health and happiness and keep posting what’s going on for you.

1 Like

Thank you! Special Christmas wishes back to you as well X

1 Like

And special wishes to you and your family! Merry Christmas X

2 Likes

Happy January everyone! :grin:
Hope you all had some lovely New Years celebrations with your loved ones!
Looking forward to hearing about how everyone’s month has gone in the next few weeks :+1:

2 Likes

Happy New Year everyone. We have been planning the activities given as Christmas presents. Hubby has booked tickets to a WBA football match for our grandson and himself, and I will be taking our eldest granddaughter (aged 5) for browse and lunch in the city (maybe going to the museum and art gallery) on the same day. We have a few birthdays in January too, so our grandson is going to a Lego Workshop all day on Friday for his birthday treat. We have also booked a couple of nights in London mid-February.
We saw the New Year in with my daughter’s family and now, after a busy December it is rather nice to have the house to ourselves. For the last 29 years we have taken the decorations down (apart from my crib scene) before the 5th as that is our youngest son’s birthday. He is back in Manchester now, so I think the big clean up will start tomorrow!

1 Like

Happy & Healthy New Year All,
My December has been amazing!
I was on a 5 week cruise from Southampton to Caribbean & back. Bliss, perfect bliss. Well it should have been.
3 days before we sailed my husband fell off a set of step ladders & ended up in A&E. He’d hit his head, broken a bone in his elbow, dislocated his arm & broken his pubic bone. Apparently nothing medical could be done, just rest & mobility. So I pushed all 15 & 1/2 stone around in a wheelchair for 4 of the 5 weeks. We still went. People thought we were mad but I knew 5 weeks on the sofa for him would do our relationship no good at all! Instead I didn’t have to lift a finger, the cooking & housework were done by someone else. It didn’t curtail our onshore activities somewhat but the sunshine was just what we needed.
We returned on 22 December & my daughter & her partner were already back home, his parents & their dog arrived for 4 days on the 23rd, 2 of my daughter’s friends joined us for supper on 23rd too, my son & wife & my 18 month old grandson arrived mid afternoon on Christmas Eve. My recently widowed friend arrived Christmas morning for the day & my dad arrived just a we were sitting down to eat, having been to visit my Mum at her dementia home. All 11 of us celebrated around the dining table.
We were alone on 29th & our cruising friends arrived from Derby on 30th to celebrate New Year. They left 2nd January.
I can hear you all exclaiming ‘she must be mad’ but I love being surrounded by all the special people in my life, friends & family, that’s what I fought for
I must admit to be a blubbing wreck on watching my grandson sit on the bed & open his Father Christmas presents. It all came rushing back, this was my aim. To watch my children grow up & become adults & live their lives Tom the full. To be there to experience these moment & share it with my other half. So important to me.
So as you will all appreciate I’m not doing much at the mo. That’s how come I’m catching up with you & your posts.
Recharging my batteries for my daughter’s 30th at the end of the month.

3 Likes

Hi, yes, I am worn out just reading your post. I am so glad you had an amazing December. I was brought up in a small, quite isolated family unit and so was my husband so we are not as good in big groups, I prefer smaller gatherings although Christmas is a time for larger gatherings. Your 5 week cruise sound absolutely wonderful although pushing that wheel chair sound hard work. I know what you mean about not having to lift a finger, it is not just the physical side, but all the planning and organising that stresses me out and why we have a very simple Christmas? As you say now is the time to re-charge your batteries, and have some ‘me’ time and treat yourself, start 2020 as you mean to go on and take care.

Wow! What a busy time you have had, and I am glad you still went on the cruise. Your husband’s accident sounds rather spectacular, and I hope he is making a good recovery.
Having lived to see 4 grandchildren appear, and to share their special moments I know just how you felt on seeing your grandson open his presents. Magic isn’t it. :heart_eyes:
Coming from a large family I do enjoy meeting up with them, but now find it hard work keeping up with conversations since my hearing loss, and tend to find a quiet corner. You must have hit the ground running once back from the cruise with all your preparations.
I hope 2020 is a good year for you and yours, and I am going to catch up with your other posts xxx

1 Like

Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a lovely weekend! :grin:
Can you believe it’s February?!
How was everyone’s January?

1 Like

Hi Su, I have had a whizz bang January. Early in the month I had my 70th birthday and I was a very lucky girl and received just what I wanted - a new cordless Walkman, a DVD player for our bedroom, an electric toothbrush, which certainly makes a difference to my teeth cleaning and a globe because my geography is sadly lacking. I have celebrated with my son, my husbands family and friends including people celebrating birthdays as well or their 50th, 60th and 70th. Not good for loosing the festive pounds, but I have had fun. I did get this sickness/ diarrhoea bug a couple of weeks before Christmas and a cold and they have bounced back over the last few weeks, but I am recovered now. I had a dexa bone scan and also it appears my skin cancer symptoms have re-occurred and I await both consultants appointments with results. What a whirlwind of a month, I await hearing from other’s??

1 Like

Started January feeling poleaxed, which was probably due to a very busy December, and eating foods which I would normally avoid. We spent the time sorting plans for the coming months, booking trains and hotels where necessary. Of course there are the usual medical appointments which crop up.
We have already had a busy start to February, and it doesn’t look as if it is going to slow down.

1 Like

@Erica firstly, happy belated 70th! :birthday: :grin: I’m so pleased to hear you got some fabulous birthday goodies, very well deserved! Wow, it does really sound like you have had a mixed month, I am so sorry to hear about your recent scan. How are you doing Erica? I can only imagine how difficult the waiting must be.

@Pisces56 it sounds like it has been a super busy on for you? how have you found coping with it all?

How is everyone else? :grin:

1 Like

Hello!

@Erica belated happy birthday! Sounds like you got some lovely presents and celebrated in style! Sorry to hear about the scan results, how worrying for you you. I really hope you hear from your consultants soon with some positive news.

@Pisces56 sounds like you’ve been busy making plans, how exciting! Hope February is busy, but not too busy.

I’ve had a good January. We started some long awaited building work which is very exciting, albeit a little dusty! Should keep me occupied for the next couple of months and then hopefully we’ll be able to relax and enjoy our new space in the summer.

Hi @SuBloodcancerUK x

2 Likes

Hi, @Pisces56 and @SuBloodcancerUK thanks for the good wishes, my birthdays have got better as I have aged. I see the dermatology consultant mid March. You would have laughed when I had the previous op it was under local anaesthetic with one consultant working on my head removing the cancer and another consultant taking the skin graft from my leg and they were chatting away oblivious of me listening. The consultant working on my head was saying I am just cutting through a certain layer on my head, then another layer etc., etc. I thought I only had a thin layer of scalp then skull. However my overriding memory is a lovely nurse offering me an extra warmed blanket, it was so wonderful. Before I was discharged I was told I shouldn’t shower or wash my hair for a month !!!
@MrsGriff, who would have thought you would ever be able to have your long awaited building work done and I expect the whole house covered in dust every day, this is what you call ‘normal’ life events. If you need to vent about the work and dust we are here for you !!.

1 Like

@Erica wow! that sounded like an intense operation! but so good to hear you had a lovely nurse looking after you :smiley:

@MrsGriff how is the building work going? :blush:

Hey Lisa, good to hear from you, and you must be pleased to getting back to normality (Is building work normality? :thinking:) I hope you have plenty of dust covers. Mind you, dust seems to travel places that you never believed it would.
The busy start to February mostly involved grandchildren. Last Saturday I spent the day with my 5 year old granddaughter, her Christmas present from us, and we went to storytelling at Waterstones in Birmingham, did a little shopping, went to Pizza Express for lunch, then the Icon Gallery for a free craft session where we both decorated and made cardboard birdboxes. We loved the glass lift as you could see onto the street, and it played a special composition sung by The Sixteen which had been especially written for the lift! Her brother went with Grandad to his 1st football match at WBA, and he must have been a lucky mascot as they won for the 1st time in 8 matches! We came home on Sunday, but returned to their home on Tuesday as Mum is working away, and Dad was at Uni, so we went to Bethan’s class assembly about Chinese New Year.
Saturday we have our son and his 2 daughters visiting (aged 2 and nearly 1) and as my daughter is running nearby her family might descend on us too. It is also my turn to do the readings at Church. All very exciting, but exhausting too!
Take care everyone

1 Like

Thanks everyone, the building work is going well. We have some walls going up rather than being knocked down now which seems like good progress! I We have a couple more months to go so I suspect it’s going to gradually get more challenging, but I’m so grateful that we’re able to do it and fine a strange bit of normality.

My goodness @Pisces56 that all sounds exhausting, but wonderful at the same time. I hope you have a lovely time with the family at the weekend.

We have a busy weekend - Hugo has 2 birthday parties to go to tomorrow. They are both trampolining ones which is something he would never have been able to manage a year or two ago. Definitely a nice feeling.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend x

2 Likes

It’s fabulous hearing how well Hugo is doing and I hope he enjoys both trampoline parties, and all children emerge accident free. Happy days

1 Like