Husband's recent diagnosis

Hi
Just wondering if there are any other youngish wives of husbands diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) who would be willing to chat?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Seasidepanda92 a great big welcome to our forum.
I don’t fit your criteria but I just wanted to say that we are all here for you and to support you and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you.
Look after yourself as well as you look after your husband and please keep posting.

2 Likes

Thank you, i am sure we will both use this forum a lot as we travel along this scary path!!

2 Likes

Hi @Seasidepanda92 I think most of us share this scary roller-coaster path and yes, it would be great if you both joined us, we are here for you both.
You are right when you are younger there are different issues to contend with.
Be kind and spoil yourselves and keep posting.

2 Likes

Yes! 3 children, a dog, jobs, no local family support! I think life just got a whole lot more ‘interesting’ for us!! But we are a very strong team, seem to be getting great medical attention, and if anyone can do this thing, we can!!
All the best, and thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi Me again @Seasidepanda92
Being a wife and a carer is the hardest job in the world, nobody asks how the wife is doing, you are just as much on this roller-coaster as your husband, but you are also trying to keep everything running smoothly at home and also the practicalities.
It really comes over that you are a strong team and if your husband is getting great medical attention that helps so much.
Perhaps don’t second guess each others thoughts, feelings, and needs just keep communicating.
You don’t say how old your children are but some of us have found that children sense when something is wrong from an early age and including them, with appropriate language, can make them feel safe and secure.
You have a lot going on so you might have to ask and receive help from people you have not even thought of yet.
Look after yourselves

2 Likes

Our youngest is 10, so they are all old enough to have a fairly good understanding and know exactly what is going on. Bringing them up, we have never shielded them and as a result they are very strong kids! They will be absolutely fine and will certainly keep us going!!

2 Likes

Brilliant, treat yourselves as a family and I am sure they will help you out with chores

1 Like

Hi @Seasidepanda92 how you are all doing and feeling now?
Please do ask any questions, we really share our experiences, but the Blood Cancer UK nurses advisors are also available and don’t forget if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you.
Be kind to yourselves

Enjoying a month of living our normal crazy lives as his recent blood test showed no further decreases, so thats good, for however long that might last!!
Still awaiting the final genetic results and the referral to the transplant centre.
We both feel much better for now, thanks for asking!!

1 Like

Hi @Seasidepanda92 I am so glad that you are enjoying a month of living your normal crazy lives and your husbands blood tests are stable.
We are here for you both and if you need to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you both.
Keep living your normal crazy lives and enjoy, be kind to yourselves.