Lockdown 2. How will life change for you?

How will your life change as a result of last night’s announcement? For myself I don’t feel I can shield again but will continue to be careful going about my life. I’ve got the option of reviewing my risk assessment with work but will continue working half the week on campus whilst we are open. It’s eerily quiet anyway and social distancing is working well. We have also set up a separate zone for students who don’t want to wear masks. I shall miss having a socially distanced pint though. I know that some of you take comfort from shielding.

1 Like

Schools are staying open so I will still go to work. I have my phone appointment with haematologist on Wednesday so will ask advice, but honestly I can’t afford to not work and claim SSP. Feel reasonably safe at work in my bubble, so will just take all measures possible.

1 Like

Thanks @SP7 for raising what is often not talked about which is the financial implications of actually following the advice and looking after your personal safety. Making a claim for financial assistance is often quite difficult and a battle when many of us suffer from fatigue and don’t deal with what personally stresses us well.
It is a real dilemma and something that Blood Cancer UK and other charities are really campaigning about. Take care

Hi
I work in a supermarket and going to work has been stressful anyway. I will not go to a supermarket during the lockdown. Personally I do not feel safe. I’m hoping I will be able to claim SSP, but if forced to chose between my work and my health obviously I will have to chose the latter. Its an awful predicament to be in.

2 Likes

Hi @poppythomas, a great big welcome to our forum yes, you have found us at the right time.
Yes, working in a supermarket must be so scary, you cannot control what others do. It is a predicament.
We will all support each other through Covid times.
If you would like to talk to someone you can contact our Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
Please let us know how things go for you.

I will.just go on as usual…as I have done done since March taking care but trying new things…just baked a madiera cake.
I’m lucky I took early retirement at 55…due to circumstances. I did work part time but couldn’t take orders from.people trying to do my job and couldn’t so I left…I’m lucky that was a year ago I miss work and would have done voluntary work but my medication and the virus stopped that. I care for my elderly mum who lives with me and I won’t risk her health or mine. Let’s hope a vaccine is found soon

1 Like

Ooooohhhhh that madeira cake sounds good, enjoy. Yes, I shall carry on doing what I have been doing since March and as you say our safety is so important. I await hearing more of you culinary exploits.

It sounds like such a tough situation to be in @poppythomas, not surprising it’s been stressful working in a supermarket. Were you put on furlough last time round? Are your employers understanding and supportive? Do give us a call if you want to talk anything through! Take care, Alice

1 Like

Madeira cake was a success…gluten free…for my mum . Surprised myself…making another tomorrow…
Just got my email off Matt Hancock about taking extra precautions…ironic as got my telephone consultation tomorrow with the Haemotology. They’ve already sent my extra medication out for the next three months…very impressed as they deliver it for me… bus have been really good. Just glad my blood test was ok…spent 2 days in the garden pruning all the bushes and planting my pansies.

2 Likes

Hi @Hmc63, I got my email from Matt too. You must be glad your blood test was OK.
You’ve been busy in the garden, it sounds great work, isn’t it nice to achieve something that you can see the benefit of.
Please let us know how your haematology consultation goes.

It was fine…they are a bit concerned with my neutrophils…slightly low and I’m borderline anaeimic this is because of my use of hydroxicarbamide…they have left my meds alone as I’m stable with my platelets. Appt in 3 months…they may then reduce my chemo .
So I’m fine. Hospital already sent out my medication. They’ve been very reassuring
Just need some calm now

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, calm sounds good to me, let us know if you achieve it.

1 Like

Glad you’re feeling reassured. Wishing you a nice chilled weekend.

1 Like

I am in Wales, so been on lockdown 2 for a while, but truth be told, I have been shielding constantly since 11th March. However, I realise that I am extremely fortunate in that I am self-employed and when my work all disappeared overnight, I decided to see it as an opportunity to semi-retire (I’m 56). I am lucky to have savings and those, plus the SEISS has kept me afloat. I also live in a beautiful rural part of Wales with a river going through my garden and a shepherds hut which I’ve converted into an art studio and reading space. I miss my old life and feel as though my identity has been stolen, but just trying to reframe the situation and see the positives!
I can see this existence lasting until 2022, so needed to make a mental and practical shift to cope.

1 Like

Oh @SpaceAngel, a great big welcome to our forum, we will all support each other through these Covid times.
I am sitting here with this picturesque image of your garden, what a view to look out on and as for your shepherds hut, the icing on the cake.
It is really interesting what you say about being semi-retired and feeling that your identity has been stolen, my way of life has been stolen since March, although I realise it is for my own safety. Isn’t it interesting that people often introduce themselves and then say ‘and what do you do?’ as opposed to ‘tell me about you?’
I find reframing situations so useful and in lockdown not saying to myself that ‘she hasn’t contacted me’ as opposed to ‘I haven’t contacted her for a while’.
In lockdown my mind has more time to think and it can go off in all directions if I don’t keep an eye on it.
I look forward to hearing more from you, please keep posting.

Lockdown 2!
Well, not really a surprise with the figures in an upward trend.
I’m lucky I live in a part of West Sussex that has very low rates. However, we did have a scare 5 weeks ago. My husband had a heart attack, luckily the NHS we exceptional in the speed at which they acted. 20 mins for ambulance to arrive, husband triaged & delivered to hospital 30 miles away & stent fitted & back on ward in 2 1/2 hours. Thankfully :sweat_smile:
My son just happened to be local after playing a football match & was here before the ambulance left. He cuddled me whilst the shakes from the Adrenalin kicked in when I knew husband was in good hands. He insisted I went & stayed with him.
Next day, hubby called, all good. Son then informed a player had tested positive! He felt really bad as he’d put my life in jeopardy by bringing me into his home. We were so lucky as all proved negative. But you get that sinking feeling when it’s possible that you could have been exposed. Totally outside my control! It was bad enough that hubby had to go into hospital!
So home again & we’ve been isolating for the last 5 weeks.
Strangely, I’m coping better now that everyone has had to shield. My daughter & partner live in London, so can only talk through window. Son comes over with grandson & we chat through window but it’s boring for 2 1/2 yr olds, who are desperate to come in through the front door. It must be so strange for them. They’re not allowed in to Granny’s house for weeks, then they are, now they aren’t!
I’m so relieved to both be retired & fairly comfortable, without all the worries this brings to youngsters. They must be so stressed & concerned…mortgages, bills to pay, exams, etc.
However, I do miss my kids & grandson. I’ve had to close the bedroom door to the ‘paw patrol’ bed my husband’s made as it makes me sad to think it’s been constructed 3 months & he’s never slept in it.
Sorry, another long & rambling post from me.
But keep safe & well everyone :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Oh, @Corfu80, what a time you have had. I am so glad your husband had such great care with the NHS, yes, I have nothing but praise for them too. I wish him well.
I too am happy with the shielding, emotionally it means I know where I am and now I don’t feel as uncared for and forgotten. Mind you it hasn’t changed my routine.
I really picked up on that sinking feeling you had when you found out that your son, who you were staying with, was in contact with someone who had Covid. I was also in contact with someone with Covid, although I was 2 metres away with a mask on, and it really shock me up too. It really brings it home, literally.
Please keep letting us know how you are getting on.

Hi @Corfu80, whichever way you choose to tackle lockdown 2, it’s a challenge and no need to apologise for a long post, it’s what keeps the forums going! I hate personally hate shielding and will do whatever I am allowed to do, so staying in all the time is not an option. I really struggled with the first lockdown and not mixing with the world. When lockdown ceases then I’ll go back to my careful approach of living life to the full and doing things.

1 Like

The Romans gave the disgruntled population “ bread and circuses “ Emperor Boris is giving us Christmas.
5 day break from lockdown restrictions, a disastrous decision.
It won’t be a happy new year for many.
The Get out and eat campaign spread more infections and the multiple gatherings of households will do the same.
A public sector pay cut, its worth mentioning that MPs are due £3.600 pay rise in April.
Cameron and Blair are protesting about a proposal to cut overseas aid (£13.5 billion) this year,.
The less well off of the population will no doubt suffer wage cuts and hardship yet we still persist in pumping money overseas.
We are being governed by rich public school boys who are totally out of touch with the general population and lining the pockets of their cronies with lucrative contracts at our expense.
Matt Hancock gleefully spoke of the roll out of the vaccine.
Who is going to administer it? Traffic wardens and Serco, it a logistical nightmare.
The much vaunted Track and Trace system doesn’t work either.

2 Likes