Male Infertility Following ABVD

Hello everyone,

My husband is 34 and was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s in 2012. After 4 months of chemo (ABVD) he was declared in remission and has stayed disease-free ever since. We have been trying for a baby since October 2019 and since then have had IVF using my husband’s fresh sperm which resulted in two pregnancies. Unfortunately, both pregnancies ended in early miscarriage. This summer my husband had his sperm tested for dna fragmentation which showed a moderate-high result. We are staying another round of IVF in January (all being well) and this time will be using sperm that was banked before his chemo. Unfortunately, I have also been diagnosed with high natural killer cells which can cause miscarriage too so there are challenges on both sides. I’d love to hear from anyone who has had children following ABVD or anyone who is going through something similar to us. Thank you!

2 Likes

I cannot even imagine what you are both going through @clhsgirl, but you are in the right place and I am so glad that you have found us and had the courage to post.
Fertility is so often not talked about and I hope others can share their experiences, but whatever happens please do keep posting so we can support you both.
I think the thoughts and emotions you must both be going through must be so mixed and unimaginable. Perhaps you might be having very different thoughts and emotions and ways of expressing them.
The Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you both on 0808 2080 888
The main thing is that you really look after and be ever so kind to yourselves. Perhaps spoil yourselves and do lovely things together.
Please keep posting

Hi @clhsgirl,
Thank you so much for taking time to post this. I’m so sorry to read what you & your husband have been through & I’m really pleased you felt able to start a conversation around this. Do know that we are very much at the end of the phone should you wish to talk things through- 0808 2080 888.

I hope you’re able to receive some support & shared experiences from others.
I wondered if alongside our forum, it may also be worthwhile seeking others experiences with both [Trekstock] & Shine Cancer Support (Diagnosed with cancer in your 20s or 30s? Here's how we can help).

In addition to the above i also wonder if this organisation might be helpful for you both- Fertility Network (fertilitynetworkuk.org).

Take good care, Lauran

1 Like