Mental health concerns - Coping at Christmas

I found local cathedral do online services via Facebook… Durham cathedral…York Minster Salisbury cathedral to name but a few. The church of England webpage do an app that you can download if you want to listen to prayer…called time to pray… you can also watch a daily service online…
I world imagine other faiths would do this as well …it’s more about the community and connection for many who perhaps have no family.
I’ve found it quite beneficial. I also use headspace app…and the calm app is also quite good…
Local community groups and organisations run meetings via zoom…some people aren’t into faith groups for their own reasons.
A lady near me runs yoga classes on line…or via Facebook… worth speaking to the council they can help or point in the right direction. .

3 Likes

Hi @Hmc63, thanks so much for the handy hints, if you are not coping well and in your home it must really bring the support closer and into your home.
Are there any other handy hints people can suggest?

1 Like

God bless , understand same here

2 Likes

I understand you and have had much the same feelings. Not easy at the best of times, no matter what stage you are at with the illness because of the affect on the immune system.

In order to brighten my mood and add some colour and lightness I put my tree and decorates up early. It has helped, I love snuggling down with the lights and colours from the lights and warm colours of the decorations. Do something just for you, a little treat something nice .

Wishing you and you mum peace and happiness. One day at a time

1 Like

Hi @Sandra, what lovely sentiments and you have just shown the try value of support on our forum.
We will support each other through these times.
Enjoy snuggling down.

I did this as well @Sandra. My daughters were so excited as we never put them up in November! I love it when the darkness sets in and the light go on. Makes me smile everytime x

2 Likes

Must admit that I have started to feel better in myself Thanks to this forum. Spent a week just taking care of myself. Watched some old comedy tv on gold…are you being served .and an old carry on film…plus my favorite…Harry potter. Decided not to spend much on presents and help two local charities with gifts they need…an owl sanctuary that rescued wildlife and a dogs sanctuary. Much better idea. Stiĺl not got my tree up.or any lights.

2 Likes

Morning @Hmc63. That’s so good to hear. There’s something unique about sharing experiences with those who understand isn’t there. Whether sharing or supporting, I always feel better after visiting the forum. Self care, and doing things for ourselves is something we all forget to do. We remind others but often forget to take our own advice, so, it was great to read about your week and I hope it’s reminded others of the importance of looking after our own self. It has reminded me and I’m going to take a leaf out it’ll your book, so thank you! Take care and get those decorations up X

1 Like

Wow, I am impressed @Hmc63, and what a wonderful way to spend a week and what a good philosophy over Christmas. You sound a different person.
Yes, chilling out really does work and I am am now fantasising how I would like to spend a week, probably watching free foreign drama box sets on one of the main channels, there are so many on my list.
Anyone else got any ideas?

1 Like

@Nichola75 It seems so many people have decorated early this year! Definitely brightens up the house doesn’t it. Mine is up! :christmas_tree: Are your girls enjoying doing their quarantine journals? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is so good to hear @Hmc63 and I’m really glad you’ve taken good care of yourself this past week. I hope your weekend was just as chilled!

2 Likes

They did enjoy them. I then made them a photo book with all our memories which is such a lovely keepsake. They often go back and read it!

2 Likes

Quiet weekend…got my strictly fix and baked a cake. My new seeing machine arrived …never ever used one…fancy a challenge…going to start walking more …small steps. Do my yoga most days now. Up early again thanks to my 4 legged friend…cup of tea and snooze time. One day at a time is the best way.:blush:

2 Likes

It is @Hmc63. I tell everybody else one day at a time but need to take my own advice! Always wanted to try yoga! Enjoy your day today :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63 and @Nichola75, I also believe in one day at a time, but, yes, I don’t always manage to take my own advice either. I await hearing how your new sewing machine goes, I think it might be too clever to me. I am a Pilates girl myself but either are good.
Has anyone use a sewing machine out there or another hobby that is helping in lockdown?

1 Like

I normally cook, cook, cook! To make Christmas week feel different I went online to The Cook Shop and ordered their box of seven meals for two seven veggies and seven desserts. It was really the desserts I was choosing they are yummy. I have shopped there often but never done it this way and they deliver.

1 Like

Oh @GrandmaJo, I think cooking is very therapeutic and the aromas wonderful and using the Cook Shop, well what a brilliant yummy idea.
Does anyone else think cooking is therapeutic?

Definitely - much easier where I have been off work. Cooking alone, and with my daughters is much more relaxing when you can take your time!

1 Like

Well it’s that wonderful time of day…would be it was summer. 6am.pitch black…and birds singing …local robins …just love them… cup of tea…medication time…have to mention that as it’s part of life.
Since its Sunday morning back upstairs for a lazy morning… I’ve checked on my elderly mum taken her a cuppa…now it’s headspace audio book time…
Not on board with Christmas this year …no decs up I’ve bought a wreath for the door and I’ve bought some Swedish candle lights…just can’t be bothered with the rest of it.
I am cooking Christmas dinner this year and will.make an effort …it’s only for two but as mum is gluten intolerant have to be careful… onwards and upwards…as they say…
Take care of yourselves

1 Like