Mental health concerns

Ive been in therapy for past 7 years and though it was hit and miss at times… (something reminiscent of Goldilocks and the 3 bears) I found a counselor that really helped. It was nice to take an hour out of the week to discuss everything and anything that was either making you happy or sad or any emotion really with someone disconnected from your life. No need to feel guilty or question what you say may sound or how it makes the other person feel and no chance of any of this being talked about or gossiped about. I think it’s really important to lay some expectations of what you want and also for you to ask how the counsellor works in methods as with any professional sometimes if you leave it to some they’ll do whatever is easiest for them rather than best for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for this good advice @Rammie18 .

2 Likes

Oh @Hmc63 that was such a courageous move, I am so impressed and what a positive response you got from your doctor.
Personally I found that counselling really helped me, it certainly wasn’t a quick fix.
Please keep us posted and yes, keeping fingers crossed for you.

1 Like

@Hmc63 I can feel the relief in this post.

1 Like

Yes @Kirsteen I find CBT so useful to give me practical tools I can use in different situations, therapy is not about being told what to do, for me it is about those tools.
Great news and so courageous to make that self referral and now going for one to one sessions

2 Likes

@Rammie18 I so agree with your post, I will always be work in progress.

2 Likes

Hi @Nichola75 , after having a walk today’s beautiful sunny afternoon, I decided to have a unusual combination of treats. Some left over mulled wine from Christmas along with a hot cross bun - a delicious combined treat of Christmas and Easter together!

3 Likes

Oh @Kirsteen what a lovely afternoon you have had, I am so impressed and jealous !!

1 Like

That’s good to hear! An unusual combination makes it an even better treat and what’s better than Christmas and Easter rolled in to one! Wonder what your next one will be!
My day off tomorrow so ready for my treat to! :blush:

2 Likes

Do enjoy your day off today, @Nichola75

2 Likes

I had a nice lunch with a friend on Wednesday but otherwise it’s been a hard slog and I’m ready for the weekend.

2 Likes

Well ive had my first face to face session today and found it very helpful. She worked on my emotions …set m some goals to work towards and although i felt drained when i returned home i felt better for it
I have managed to.go.out 5 times in the last week…so its getting eadier
I go back to see her in 5 weeks .
Tthink.its my anyeurism that ruptured has caused me anxiety …accepting ive changed and moving on …is the way to progress.
Felt like i got somewere today

Thank you for all your replies

Stay safe

5 Likes

Hi @Hmc63. It’s really good to hear from you. I’m so glad the session went well. Like you, I always feel drained but a lot lighter after my sessions. I make sure I do something nice afterwards which always help.
I bet you feel so much better for getting outside a bit more. Such am positive step so well done!
I’m sorry to hear about your anxiety because of other medical issues. Is there anything that can be done to help?
A really positive move forward. Stick at it! Sending lots of special wishes :blush:

2 Likes

@Hmc63 a big step to take today and anxiety plus all your other emotions sounds a good place to start working on with manageable goals.
Perhaps part of the drained feeling is actually talking about things and relief.
I am also finding it easier to go out the more I do it, but you have done so well going out 5 times last week.
I bet your aneurism rupturing has caused you so much anxiety and I expect it is very scary.
Gosh I agree accepting we have changed and looking at skills to help us move on is definitely the way forward, I must take a leaf out of your book.
I am so glad that you felt that you have got somewhere today, I think that you have taken a giant leap, Celebrate and look after yourself and keep posting, please.

1 Like

Thanks brilliant

You will always have good days and bad days but we often to acknowledge the good days and the not bad days or the wow really proud of myself I survived the day days as much as the bad days.

Always be kind to yourself and be aware of personal achievements regardless of size, importance or relevance

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I’ve been feeling really low over the last couple of weeks. My husband has developed a range of symptoms which is worrying to both us. We don’t know if these are related to his recent radiotherapy for prostate cancer, his ET or neither of these. Our GP has been very supportive and my husband will be having a lot of tests to trying to find out what the cause is. I really appreciate having such a good GP but all the waiting for appointments and results affects my anxiety. Also I’ve been on a waiting list for one to one CBT for over 7 months and I’m now wandering it I’m actually going to be offered counselling! I will phone them to find out about it. The current situation with all restrictions being lifted and the fact that this pandemic has been going on for so long doesn’t help. It does feel as if it’s one thing on top of another at the moment.

1 Like

Hi @Kirsteen. It’s only natural that you are feeling the way you are, especially as there is so much going on for you to be anxious about.
It’s a shame you haven’t reached the top of the list for CBT. 7 months is a really long time so I would definitely chase this up. Did they say approximately how long the wait would be?
I’m glad you were able to share on here. Is there anything you do that eases your anxiety?

1 Like

Hi @Kirsteen,
I’m so sorry to hear how you have been feeling lately. It does sound like both you & your husband are going through a really tough time it is completely understandable that you will feel down. COVID + life is difficult enough for many, let alone dealing with uncertain health issues as well.
Please do note that if you ever want to talk things through our support service team are always just a call away- Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK
As others have mentioned it does sound reassuring that your husband has a supportive GP and is able to investigate to find the route cause of his symptoms. I do hope they are able to reassure him soon & also that he & you begin to feel somewhat better.
Kirsteen, please also note that if during out of hours you feel like things are becoming too much & would like to talk to someone the wonderful Samaritans would be happy to support you- Samaritans | Every life lost to suicide is a tragedy | Here to listen. I’m so sorry your CBT is such a long wait, i think calling them to better understand the wait is a great idea and also in the meantime if you do ever want to talk things through with mental health practioners, the MIND helpline is a great service- Helplines - Mind.
We do appreciate how tough life can be right now so please don’t struggle alone- we are always here for you!

Do Take Care, Lauran

3 Likes

Oh @kirsteen it really sounds tough for you at the moment. We have been isolating for so long now it seems relentless.
As a carer it is so hard to see the person you care for developing worrying symptoms and the waiting for tests and results is really anxiety making at the best of times.
Yes 7 mths to wait for CBT is a long time perhaps it is worth chasing it up.
We are here for you and so is the Blood Cancer UK support line if you would like to talk to someone.
A good GP is such a bonus.
Be kind to yourself you are an unsung hero being a carer, be kind to yourselves and spoil yourselves

1 Like

Thank you@LauranBloodCancerUK, @Nichola75 and @Erica for all of your kind words. I phoned my local support services about the CBT waiting list. I was told that the wait will be ay least 6 more weeks but they can’t give me a specific date. Still I do feel better having spoken to someone and knowing
at least I’m still on their list. We also spoke to my husband’s oncology department and have sorted out for him to have an in person appointment at the end of this month rather a
telephone one so they can actually examine him and check out his symptoms. He also had a chest X-ray, ECG and a range of blood tests yesterday and was told his heart and lungs are fine which is a great relief. However I know that some of my anxiety has been caused by the fact that my husband got in touch with our GP practice at the beginning of December but couldn’t speak to our GP as she was on leave. It then seems as if the doctor he spoke to filled out the wrong form. There was then a delay in us finding this out due to it being difficult to access services because of the peak of the Omicron outbreak. Now our GP has done urgent referrals so just hope all appointments come through soon.
As I said yesterday, I’m so grateful we have such a good GP and in future will wait until we can get appointments with her rather than dealing with other doctors!

3 Likes