MGUS and diet

Hi I hope I’m doing this right!

I am feeling fed up and sad to say the least after being diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS). Still undergoing tests. I have been losing weight which I don’t like and people are noticing it.

I am interested in some nutritional advice regarding what to eat, what I can’t eat, and can I take supplements. Would seeing a nutritionist help? My aim is to keep my nutrition healthy and to put on some weight on in the process!

Can anyone advise?

1 Like

Hi @Alice3 ,

Welcome to the forum.
I expect you diagnosis came as a bit of shock, and it takes time to digest the news. I have monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) and was diagnosed coming up to a year and a half ago and still lack motivation most days. I dont know of any specific dietary advice other than to eat a healthy diet. If you are worried about loosing weight you should discuss it with you haematologist, if you have been referred to one, or your GP. There are some information booklets on monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) available from BCUK, Myeloma UK and Macmillan Cancer Support. These can downloaded.
Best wishes
Helen

1 Like

@helenfwallace thank you for responding. Yes it was a shock and still is. Im not sure how Im process it, but to take one day at a time. Thank you for the information. Take care everyone.

2 Likes

Hi @Alice3 great that you have found us @helenfwallace has given you a brilliant response.
The Blood Cancer UK gives some ideas Blood cancer and eating well | Blood Cancer UK
Perhaps your GP might give you some ideas and perhaps refer you to a nutritionist.
However it sounds that you might still be coming to terms with your diagnosis and undergoing tests is exhausting and scary in my view.
After 19yrs I still get anxious before, during and after tests, results and appointments.
I also lost weight after my diagnosis.
So glad that you want to follow a healthy diet, but the main thing is that you look after yourself and be very kind to yourself and please keep posting.

Thank you I have found a nutritionist and she is very good. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention details publically, but am happy to if I can.

1 Like