My nan has CLL, just been diagnosed with diabetes

Hello, i’m new to this forum! My nan has been diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) a few years back, haven’t had many severe symptoms, only aching joints, feeling tired and run down but recently she’s been having palpitations and a ‘fluttery’ feeling in her chest. She’s just come back from the doctors after phoning yesterday for her blood work, and it turns out she has diabetes? I have anxiety and am really worried about this. I know i shouldn’t be, Ive been with her every step of the way, but she lives further away so haven’t been able to see her since last year. Can anyone explain to me or tell me their stories with their Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) & Diabetes.

Many thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @Cybersloth04 and welcome to the forum. I’m afraid I can’t answer your question but understand how this must have been a shock and caused you to worry. It’s also something which has been made even harder by the fact that you are so far away.
What information has she been given by the doctor? Who is supporting your nan at the moment and has she been given much information?
She is very lucky to have you looking out for her :blush:

1 Like

A great big welcome @Cybersloth04 to our forum you are in the right place.
It must be so difficult for you being so caring about your nan, but at a distance, you will still be on the thoughts and emotions rollercoaster.
All you can do is perhaps to suggest to your nan that she writes down all the questions she would like to ask to her doctor.
I am 72 yrs old and I have had Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) for 18 yrs, I also have palpitations (super ventricular ectopic) and I am on medication for it, I suppose I have had it for about 12 yrs.
I live with aching joints, feeling tired (fatigue) and get infections etc.
I do not have diabetes, but know several people (without blood cancer) who manage their diet and diabetes very effectively.
If your nan is given advice about exercise and you are worried about this as she feels tired already, personally although I feel tired I find sometimes fresh air and appropriate walking does actually help me and has got me fitter.
I manage those symptoms daily.
How are you yourself doing and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Look after yourselves and please keep posting, you are so caring.

1 Like

Dear @Cybersloth04, thanks so much for posting and your Nan is very lucky to have you looking out for her. I am really sorry to hear that your Nan has developed Diabetes. The main advice I would give is to ensure that your Nan understands her daibetes and that she feels comfortable in how to manage it? Has she been given any advice in how best to manage her diet from the Doctor? It sounds like your Nan’s Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) is stable which is great so I would say the best way forward is for her to keep active, manage her diet and of course report any health issues to the GP or her treatment team. I would encourage your Nan to keep an eye on her skin and make sure her skin for any breaks or sores as diabetes can effect healing and feeling: Diabetes - NHS. Do give us a call if you need anymore advice or support How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK. Take care Gemma

3 Likes

Hi @Cybersloth04 I hope you and your nan are doing okay? Just wanted to let you both know we have a newly updated Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) booklet which might be helpful - you’d be very welcome to order some copies for free here - Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) booklet | Blood Cancer UK Shop

2 Likes