Myeloma and confusion

My dad has just been diagnosed with Myeloma, he’s been having memory problems and confusion for around 6 months that have gotten worse since Christmas. I was just wondering if anyone knows if myeloma can cause confusion or memory problems? I just keep thinking that the 2 could be related? Thank you

3 Likes

Hi @Cathyfreeman a great big welcome to our forum, I am so glad that you have found us.
You must both be in shock.
Perhaps this question is best asked, with your fathers permission, of his medical team but I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurse advisors just in case they can add anything @BloodCancerUK_Nurses
The Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you on 0808 888 2080
I always say that family members are the unsung heroes so please take care of yourself as well as you do your father.
Please do keep posting as I would like to hear more about you

4 Likes

Hello @Cathyfreeman . Thank you for making contact. It can’t be an easy time for you, your Dad or family. There could be a link between confusion and myeloma but likewise confusion may be caused by so many other factors. The possibilities of Myeloma being implicated in confusion can depend on the stage of myeloma and/or different treatments. Some forms of myeloma may result in higher levels of calcium being released into the blood stream and this can cause confusion (this can be treated). Dehydration, regular infections (commonly urine infections) or reduced kidney function could also be reasons and can be seen with a diagnosis of myeloma. As already mentioned is it possible for you to get permission to attend an appointment with your Dad to ask the treating team about you Dad’s particular situation?

5 Likes