Newly dignosed

Hi all
i’m Dave & was diagnosed this week with Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), got a blood transfusion tomorrow, start my kemo injections in January, being 77 no charnce of a transplant , would like to doknow how people ge on with the block kemo injections every month ?

1 Like

Hi @Cabit I am so glad that you have found us so quickly.
I attach some information from the Blood Cancer UK website on Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).
Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) - what is it, symptoms, treatment and prognosis | Blood Cancer UK
The Blood Cancer UK telephone support line is there for you on 0808 2080 888 (opening hours apply) and we will be about on our forum over the holidays please do use us.
Ensure you ask all your fears and questions to your medical team.
I hope others can share their experiences with you.
Give yourself plenty of time to come to terms with everything.
Really look after yourself and be very kind to yourself and keep posting, I look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

Hi @Cabit I was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) on the 29/11. I’m having EPO injections once a week to try to help with fatigue and because I’m anaemic. It’s early days and like you I’m still trying to understand the implications. I hope there is someone on here that is having the same treatment as you and can help with your questions. I have found they are all very helpful and knowledgeable. Norma

1 Like

Hi @cabit,
I’m so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis of Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). I would imagine you will be feeling somewhat overwhelmed just now with all the information you have been given.
It is great you have found us and I’m sure you will receive lots of support and shared experiences of many others who have been affected by Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). However, As Erica has already brilliantly offered- if you have any questions or would simply like to talk things through, do know that our helpline is very much here for you- 0808 2080 888.

Has your haematology team given you the name of the treatment you are planned to have? As you will likely be aware Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) has multiple treatment options. You can read about these on our information here- Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) - what is it, symptoms, treatment and prognosis | Blood Cancer UK

I am really pleased you have found us & I hope todays blood transfusion goes well- do keep us updated.

Take good care, Lauran

1 Like