No touch thermometers

My husband has a new diagnosis of Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). I would like to have a good, reliable and accurate no-touch digital thermometer on hand. The one I have bought is absolutely useless. Will not calibrate (I’m sending it back!)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I don’t want to be panicking at a reading, only to find it is inaccurate, or, more importantly, missing a raised temp because the thermometer is useless!

1 Like

Hi @SueD your post is very timely. I was at our hospital today for some treatment. It felt very safe and everyone masked and I had several basic checks first.
I was expecting to have my temperature taken by a gun thing pointed at my forehead as it had been on my last few visits, but no, a disposable thermometer under the tongue. Things just go full circle don’t they.
Sorry that I haven’t actually helped you much, look after yourselves, I hope others will help you more.

1 Like

We just got one from aliexpress.com. It sounds like what you’re looking for. It’s called Non Contact infrared thermometer UXA03. Hope that’s useful. Look after yourself too and best wishes to you and your hubby

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll take a look. The one I’ve bought just will not accurately calibrate so I don’t trust it to be reliable!

1 Like

I brought this one for my folks as the one I got from Lloyds pharmacy was rubbish…

Forehead Infrared Thermometer, AGM Non-Contact Digital Thermometer, Temperature Test for Adult, Children and Objects https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HCDMNVL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_NYA1T6TVJJ4ZZN9NJ817?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

We just use regular digital thermometers from the chemist.

1 Like

The Consultant at the hospital told us to get an ear thermometer, as she said they give the most accurate readings, she didn’t recommend the forehead ones. We got one from Boots it was about £30.

2 Likes

Hi @Kent welcome to our forum and I have an old fashioned glass thermometer with mercury in it like my mother use to use.
I look forward to hearing more about you, look after yourself

1 Like

Thank you, Summer,

I’m now waiting for one to arrive which is both ear and no-touch. Our Practice Nurse suggested it (not a specific brand, just one that does both!)

Hopefully, it’ll solve my problem!

1 Like

Hi @SueD please let us know what you think of this thermometer.

1 Like

@Erica

Hopefully, I’ve successfully uploaded photos of the thermometer. Much happier with this one!

On the evidence of my initial use, would be happy to recommend (will update you if that opinion changes!) :grinning:

1 Like

Looks good to me @SueD thanks for the photos

1 Like