Please help - platelet count high

Hi, sorry I don’t know if this is the right place to post. I’m just really anxious as I have anxiety anyway. My doctor spoke to me and I have a platelet count of 475. I had suspected covid back in March and haven’t been feeling well all year but was slowly getting back to normal but got these blood tests done just to check. My white blood cell is normal but on high side at 11. And CRP is 4. She was very focussed on bowel cancer and said we need to check bloods again in 6 weeks but I’m worried as have signs of blood cancer not bowel cancer. I am knackered (though getting better) occasional tingling headaches. However I am very stressed and do have IBS which I understand can raise platelets so just wondering how high other people’s were?

1 Like

Hi @Sarah84, a great big welcome to our forum, don’t worry whether you have posted in the right place or not, the important thing is that you have posted.
It must be a really anxious and stressful time for you, the not knowing is always the worst.
It sounds as if you have had a rough year, not made better by Covid and the lockdowns.
It sounds as if you have lots of questions for your doctor, I have now realised I have to ask the questions about my thoughts and fears too.
Unfortunately on this support forum we are not medically trained and doctors take a lot of factors into account before making a diagnosis.
I have found I have to write down everything I want to cover before I see my doctor as I get into the surgery and my mind goes blank. I also have to write down replies and ensure I understand my doctors thinking and explanation.
We are here to support you if you get a blood cancer diagnosis and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Please take care of yourself and let us know how you get on.

Hello Sarah sorry you are having a worrying time as I do appreciate how getting results out of the norm is not easy - as Erica said go with the doctors guidance and get all your concerns listed down to be able to ask and understand. Just as a bit of comfort do know that a platelet count of 475 is only a tad over normal levels and something that can happen to anyone especially after infection let alone Covid - so try not to over worry just now and see how the next couple of blood tests go. Keep coming back here and we will be glad to help and support.

1 Like

Hi @Sarah84. I think both @Erica and @Jilly20 have given you really good advice. Please take care and let us know how you get on. Remember, the support line is there if you need it :blush:

1 Like

Hi Sarah, please don’t be worried - that platelet count is still within the normal range and many of us would love our WBC to be at 11! Sounds like you are just a bit run down and stressing - I know IBS is stressful in itself as my mum had it. A blood test in 6 weeks will show if you have anything to be concerned about, but in the meantime, try to be kind to yourself and relax.

1 Like