Advice around High Platelets

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you some of you wonderful people on here might be able to offer me some advice. To give some context I’m a 37 year old male who is fit and active and until anxiety spiralled out of control completed endurance cycling rides.

To cut a long story short had a bit of a stressful year (though didn’t necessarily think I was stressed) was not sleeping properly and ended up going to the Doctor’s for chest pains. Did some tests and one thing that can back abnormal was my platelets which were 603.

I have a history of health anxiety and went on Dr Google afterwards and of course since then the anxiety/stress has spiralled out of control with all sorts of symptoms to the point I have been on Citalopram for 6 weeks and have started CBT.

I just redid my 3 month later blood tests and platelets were up to 643. So now waiting to speak to the GP again.

I understand that stress/anxiety can certainly be a factor in this, and perhaps because it increased after the blood tests, my platelets increased as well.

However I want to know what I should be looking out for or what I should be asking the GP next time I speak to them. As I want to make sure we are looking at all possibilities.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

A great big welcome @dpl1985 and your anxiety comes through on your post.
I think that it is the not knowing that is so anxiety making and perhaps Dr Google might not help.
Perhaps when you see your GP it is keeping the questions simple like:
Is it normal to have platelets that high?
These are my symptoms …, what is wrong with me?
Etc, Etc.

I attach a couple of links here:
Blood cancer symptoms and signs | Blood Cancer UK
Blood cancer: mind and emotions | Blood Cancer UK

What I think though is that any medical practitioner will take lots of things into account in making a diagnosis like symptoms, test results, age, medical history, family history, medications etc. etc.
I hope that your medication and CBT helps you, please let us know.
The Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you on 0808 2080 888.
Please do let us know how you get on at your GP.
Look after yourself and try and divert yourself till you see your GP.

1 Like

Hi Erica,

Thank you for your helpful response, and I will certainly look at those links.

I’m definitely going to write down the questions I want to ask the GP. I think I have a tendency to over-talk in consultations, maybe a product of the anxiety, so end up feeling like I’ve not made the point I wanted to or leave unsatisfied.

I’ll let you know how it all goes.

3 Likes

Perhaps @dpl1985 if you write your questions down succinctly you can just read the question out.
There is nothing worse than feeling you are leaving an appointment unsatisfied, as you are left with those thoughts and feelings.
Yes, please do let us know how it goes.
Take care of yourself

So finally got to see a haematologist and turns out I have the CALR mutation. Not really sure what it all means in the long term, but at least in the short term think I’ll be monitored closely.

1 Like

Hi @dpl1985 at least you have a diagnosis and it gives you time to write down your fears, questions and practicalities.
I am all for active monitoring (watch and wait).
Look after yourself

Good to hear you got to talk to the haematologist and got some further answers. Please do feel free to give us a call on 0808 2080 888 if there’s anything you might find it helpful to talk through with us. I do hope the Citalopram and CBT are helping with your anxiety and stress, as that sounds so tough. Please do remember we’re here to support you however we can.

1 Like