Recently Referred - What To Expect?

It sounds like you have a really good medical team which i think, goes a long way in supporting our well being. At least you have a plan. Please keep us updated on how you are getting on.

2 Likes

Thank you @Nichola75 ! Yes, in the past I’ve had consultants and medical staff for other conditions and they’ve…well, let’s say left a lot to be desired. It’s so important to be able to trust your health care providers and feel respected and treated properly, so I’m incredibly thankful so far!

2 Likes

Hi @Erica,

Thank you! Yes, I certainly feel so much calmer now, and actually feel able to trust this consultant going forward. It’s so important to have faith in your medical team, so I’m really happy!

I’m very glad to have a clear plan of next steps, which does take the anxiety out of the wait somewhat (though you’re 100% right, the not knowing is without a doubt the worst bit). I’m also incredibly thankful to everyone here for being so kind, supportive and reassuring - you’ve all made such a positive impact, so really, thank you ever so much!

2 Likes

It’s such a supportive place for all off us X

2 Likes

Hi @plutoeli. Any developments with the extra tets that your consultant requested?

1 Like

Hi @Nichola75 ,

Thank you for checking up on me!

I had the blood tests taken on the 15th, but unfortunately the results still aren’t back yet - our local practice usually has to send the less common tests off to a bigger hospital, which means results can be slow to get back, so I’m hoping that’s the reason they’re not back yet!

1 Like

Hi @plutoeli, please do let us know when you track down your blood test results.

1 Like

Great to hear from you. Hopefully you won’t have to wait to much longer

1 Like

Hi Eli. Did you ever hear any more about your blood test results and low wbc? I’ve been referred to haematology as I’ve had a low neutrophil and wbc count the last 6 months. I’m only 21 and pretty worried, I wish I was as positive as you! X

2 Likes

Hi @Mdm2020 I do hope you’re ok. It’s perfectly natural for you to be worried and you’ve come to the right place for support as many people here face the same sort of issues. Have you discussed your fears with your medical team? Also the brilliant Blood Cancer UK Support Team are always on hand for a chat. Do let us know how things go and I hope you are able to get reassurance.

3 Likes

Hi @Mdm2020, a great big welcome to our forum I am so glad you have found us.
Yes, I expect you are very worried, it is scary times. You have entered this new world of abbreviations and medical appointments. I was in shock with my fears, thoughts and emotions all over the place for ages.
My diagnosis threw my whole world and what I had mapped out for myself.
I was diagnosed 17 yrs ago and life is really great today, although we are in lockdown.
However I always get anxious before medical appointments. I am on ‘watch and wait’ or ‘active monitoring’.
Do you have support from family and friends?
I find it helpful to keep a diary of events and how I am feeling. I also write down all my fears, thoughts, feelings, symptoms, questions, practicalities, medical history and medications to all medical appointments. I also make sure I cover everything at medical appointments and if I don’t understand something I ask for clarification until I do.
We are here to support you and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact the wonderful Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
I look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Hi Franko, thank you for your kind words! It’s nice to know there are other people who understand my concerns. My doctor has been great, it’s just a shame it’s taken 6 months to get a referral but I do understand. Hopefully it’s something benign but only time will tell. How are things for you? I will keep you updated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Erica, that is some really great advice - I will take that on board, so thank you! I’m sorry to hear you were diagnosed but it’s great to hear how well you are doing 17 years on, do you mind me asking what your diagnosis is and how old you were? I understand your concerns, I’d feel the exact same. I have a really good support network fortunately, a great family, friends, and boyfriend so I am very lucky. Thank you for your kind words, I will update you when I know more myself! Fingers crossed for something benign. X

1 Like

Hi @Mdm2020, my diagnosis is CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia) and I was 53yrs old when I was diagnosed, I only went in for a gynae op !!
I am so glad that you have a great family, friends and boyfriend, in hindsight I would say keep communicating with them and don’t forget because they care about you they are probably having the same fears, thoughts and feelings as you, but also feeling so powerless to make it better or to know what to do and how to be.
I have found sometimes I need to share with people who can really understand what I am going through.
Don’t be hard on yourself you have posted on this forum and that takes great courage,
all your fears, feelings thoughts are so natural.

1 Like

Hi @Mdm2020

Welcome to the forum from me too. It sounds like you have good support and it’s good that your doctor has referred you to a haematologist. I also have issues with low wbc and neutophils and can guess how you are feeling. It’s good you have your referral now but I suggest make a list of questions you want to ask when you have your appointment and write down the answers. I found this was a help. As Franco said hopefully you get some reassurance when you have your appointment. In the meantime remember we’re all here on the forum to help and there is also great support available from the helpline.

All the best,

Peter

2 Likes

Hi @Mdm2020, I have been thinking of you a lot.
Perhaps at your age there must be so many things whizzing round in your head.
Things like your hopes and dreams that you had for your future life, life expectancy, further education, careers, travel and insurance, relationships, when do I tell people and employers, family, fertility, financial issues and just making any plans.
I hope that I have not put worries into your head but if you are anything like me they are already there.
Some of these nobody in the world ever knows the answer to, but perhaps others are for your medical team or to talk about with your loved ones and all of them are for you to share about on this forum, we perhaps understand as others cannot, we are here for you. If you are having any of these thoughts, I bet your loved ones are too and I really wish we had had really good communication and a sharing of our thoughts and feelings.
Look after yourself, we are all very special people on this forum !!!

1 Like

Hi @Mdm2020!

I’m afraid I’m still waiting for results…I’m starting to think they’ve gotten lost, or been sent to the wrong department or something. I keep phoning my poor GPs surgery to ask but the receptionists don’t really seem to understand my worry or why I’m so keen to know the results - hopefully they’ll turn up soon, though.

I’m so sorry to hear you’re in the same boat - it’s really daunting, and at first I was really quite freaked out and anxious. I’m really lucky that the haematologist I spoke to seemed to on-the-ball and reassuring, although now still waiting for results I find myself anxious again!

Hopefully for the both of us things will get sorted out soon! I was really worried for my appointment before hand, having never seen a haematologist before, but it was actually completely fine and I left feeling much more reassured and confident in knowing what any next steps were.

I really hope that your appointment goes well, and I’m sending lots of support! As others have said, please let us know how you get on - I’ve got my fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes

That must of been such a shock, I’m glad you seem to be doing so well though! You’re right, I need to remember that. I agree, I feel it has been so helpful already speaking to you guys and receiving some really nice replies on this forum - I appreciate it. I have a telephone consultation on the 25th of this month with haematology so I suppose I will know the next steps from there! X

1 Like

I have already been worrying about those things, you’re right. It is difficult but I’m hoping it’s something benign or an unknown cause, I guess only time will tell. Thank you for the support. Xx

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind words! I will be sure to make a list of questions like you advise, otherwise I know I’ll have a mind blank when it comes to it. It’s nice to know people understand - everyone on this forum have been so wise and supportive so thank you! I’m sorry to hear about your low wbc and neutrophils - did you ever find out the cause?

1 Like