Self injections practical help

Hello! As part of a family member’s treatment they have to regularly inject themselves. The injection sites have become sore, bruised, hard an painful so I’m looking for practical tips to help out. Maybe ice or numbing cream? Are there any tricks you use or have been told about? The consultant has advised of other places to inject but we are concerned these will start to hurt too.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi
Not a medical answer, but it sort of depends if it’s subcutaneous (just under skin) or intra muscular.
If it’s under skin then pinching skin together very lightly before injection and massaging around area very lightly after helps. I’ve found arnica gel helps (avoiding tiny open area of injection site), so does aloe Vera gel. Ice (but needs to be wrapped in something like clean tea towel or flannel) cools and gives temporary soothing.
Wishing them well xxx

3 Likes

I have to inject myself and had a choice of thighs or abs… apparently abs is a lot nicer… I was advised going in at a 20 degree angle facing away (so plunger is close to belly button)

Pinching or grabbing a itch was also recommend by the nurse and by following these I’ve not had any problems.

Hope you find something that’s works… I think it’s a lot easier doing it to yourself. I would be less confident injecting someone else… so hats off to you.

Ps mines subcutaneous

3 Likes

Thank you! We’ll try arnica, I really appreciate your help. x

2 Likes

Thank you! Really appreciate your help. x

2 Likes

Hi @Pixie a great big welcome to our forum and I am glad you have found us for your family member.
It’s a really good question to ask and sometimes forum members can have handy hints.
If you would like to talk to someone at the Blood Cancer UK support services the number is 0808 2080 888.
How are you yourself doing @Pixie?

2 Likes

@Pixie I’ve injecting myself into stomach area since March 2020. At first it became bruised and painful so I change the area to give break the other area. Tight pinching of the injection site helps when injecting and quick release helps too. It’s also important to tell medical team nurse if it’s impossible to inject so that they can check the technique etc.

3 Likes

@Pixie

If you have a local gp I’ve heard they or a nurse would be happy to do it for you or give you guided advice. Was offered to me

2 Likes

I have to inject Interferon Alpha to try and combat a rare lymphoma called Mycosis Fungoides and I don’t like it but I think it’s better just to do it rather than take a long time.I pinch the skin,aim the needle and shut my eyes!So far it hasn’t produced any adverse effects but once a lot of blood came out so I’m guessing that I hit a blood vessel?

3 Likes

I had to self inject for a while and did it in my ab. I injected into the side of my abdomen and alternated sides each day so that one area didn’t get all of the impact. That seemed to cut down on the amount of bruising.

3 Likes

Thank you for your help! It’s much appreciated. x

1 Like