Stress before and after checkups

Yes, I definitely agree. Different challenges for everybody. However, so many shared experiences regardless of these challenges and that is so useful and supportive x

3 Likes

Hi Nichola, I am so glad you are finding this site supportive, sometimes it is the similarities and not the differences. Please keep sharing what it is like being you.

2 Likes

Hi Nichola, I hear exactly what youre saying about the age thing. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with CLL, age 40 and itā€™s really hard to get your head around how it might effect people of a younger age. It is confusing knowing how to apply things that you read when the average patient age is around 70! Luckily Iā€™m on AM but dealing with explaining it to my children (age 12 and 14) and what the implications are for work long term is difficult. Do you mind me asking how your children are with it? Have you told them and what do they understand? I havenā€™t managed to tell mine yet but keeping things secret isnt great either. Unfortunately we have a lot going on at home at the moment and the CLL seems to be the least of my problems for the time beingā€¦

3 Likes

Hello maddy, just wanted to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your contribution to this issue. I found your post very enlightening as I am not a mother and it shines a light on another important aspect of being diagnosed with a long term condition. I am sure Nichola will be able to empathise with your situation and I look forward to hearing her thoughts . Best wishes alfie, female 56 ppcl myeloma.

1 Like

Hi Maddy, welcome to our site and I hope you find it supportive, Yes, I am 69yrs old but was diagnosed at 53yrs old. You obviously have a lot going on at home at the moment but you are carrying a heavy secret. If you feel you would like to talk to someone for support the Bloodwise Support Line is there on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message - they say they will get back to you within one working day. Please donā€™t think we are all ā€˜oldiesā€™ on this site, blood cancer knows no age boundaries. Take care and please keep posting how you are doing, thinking and feeling we are all here to support you.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you and your husband found it useful! I can imagine being younger than other lymphoma patients there highlighted there is a gap - have you ever connected with Shine Cancer Support? They support people diagnosed with cancer in their 20ā€™s/30ā€™s/40ā€™s, you can find them at www.shinecancersupport.org.uk

2 Likes

Welcome @Maddy - Iā€™m so glad youā€™ve found our forum! Telling children is a really personal decision, and youā€™re not alone in wondering about it. There is a thread over in the ā€˜recent diagnosisā€™ section you may wish to take a look at, and join in if you feel comfortable. Telling children about a diagnosis.

3 Likes

Hi,

Yes I did. Someone suggested shine to me. Good that there is lots of different support groups out there x

3 Likes

Hi Maddy. Itā€™s hard isnā€™t it. Iā€™m on active monitoring to. My children are 10 and nearly 14. After lots of discussions and thinking we decided not to tell the children. We discussed the pros, one being that if we told them now they may not see cancer as something that always means death. I initially had two operations and radiotherapy and told them I had some bad cells that needed zapping and they found that difficult. I know I could be on active monitoring for years so decided it wasnā€™t worth worrying them. However, itā€™s hard emotionally and mentally sometimes isnā€™t it and I find that hard to explain when Iā€™m irritable or a bit down. I question my decision all the time but hope Iā€™ll know when the time is right xxx

2 Likes

All of the support on here from everybody is so supportive regardless of age x

2 Likes

You know your children best, and it sounds like you made the best decision for yourselves and for them. Active monitoring is difficult to get your head around as an adult, as a child/young adult it can be even harder I imagine.

2 Likes

Hi Alfie, I just re-discovered these mindfulness podcasts which were created a couple of years ago, specifically with blood cancer patients in mind, and wanted to share them in response to your post, as they might be helpful in some way for some people? https://www.abbvie.co.uk/responsibility/improving-health-outcomes/mindfulness-for-blood-cancer-patients.html
Take care, Alice

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with CLL in 2005 and have just finished my first course of chemo having been on watch and wait prior to that. I dread appointments as I have always hated hospital but I now have to accept that they are part of my life and are there for good and bad. At least we dont have to pay out for our check ups etc or some of us wouldnā€™t be able to afford them.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Wishing you all the best in your treatment. There are some articles on Watch and Wait, and also other topics that might interest now you have started treatmentā€¦diet, dealing with fatigue amongst them

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to our community forum, I find it interesting and supportive, I hope you will too. I was diagnosed with CLL in 2003 and I have been lucky enough to be on watch and wait ever since, but that does not mean I get a yukky feeling before, during and after all medical appointments. Sorry about the questions but obviously I am interested. How did you think and feel when you first knew you needed treatment? How are you thinking and feeling now after your first course of chemo?

1 Like

I had day 5 of my 62nd monthly cycle of Azacitidine for MDS yesterday.
Although Iā€™m pleased that itā€™s still working Iā€™m finding it a huge strain, Iā€™m on 5 days of chemo in every 28.
Iā€™ve had 3 counselling sessions which I found absolutely useless.
I felt patronised. I tried to explain my fears and continued stress Iā€™m under, but it all seemed to go over her head.
I left the sessions feeling very angry.
I guess Iā€™ll have to handle my feelings by myself.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Anthony

1 Like

Sounds like a tough time at the moment and its such a shame the counselling didnā€™t work for you. Itā€™s hard enough to seek help
and Iā€™m disappointed that she didnā€™t acknowledge your feelings. Is there an option of using a different counsellor? I found some that I donā€™t have a connection with and thatā€™s very important x

1 Like

Great to hear from you, Blackhat, and I am also sorry the counselling did not work out for you and you did not feel heard. The chemo must be a huge strain.
All I can say is that being a tad nosey I feel better for a breath of fresh air and gentle exercise that I can do helps me and itā€™s free.
Take care and spoil yourself.

Dear Nicola and Erica,
Thank you both for your replies.
I am arranging to see another councillor, a self referral from my GP shortly.
Iā€™m sure I made myself very clear to the other one but I felt there was no understanding or empathy whatsoever.
Maybe Iā€™m expecting too much?
I donā€™t think anyone would have any understanding of what we blood cancer sufferers are going through.
Iā€™m incurable, in fact to put it bluntly ā€œIā€™m on death rowā€
Iā€™m not at all sure any councillor can deal with that situation.
I came away from seeing her feeling very disappointed and angry.
I donā€™t want much really, just help to cope with the continuing fear and stress Iā€™m under.
5 years of those feelings is definitely taking itā€™s toll on my mental state.
I do go for walks, I have to to maintain my mobility but the Peripheral Vascular Disease makes it an ordeal. Before that reared itā€™s ugly head I used to walk for miles to relieve my stress, it worked too.
My social life is non existent as I have Neutropenia and very prone to infection.
Not much of a life really.
Best wishes
Anthony

1 Like

I really hope the other councillor is better for you. Mine is amazing so they are out there x

1 Like