The Fun (and Nerdy) Musical Guide to Shielding

Hi music list fans, (well 3 of you :grinning:) Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the water, I have a whole lot of new songs to add that in some way relate to self isolation (though a couple a little tenuous)
Wild World, Cat Stevens
Music, Cat Stevens
Music, John Miles
Many Too Many, Genesis
You Canā€™t Always Get What You Want, Rolling Stones
I Donā€™t Like Monday, Boom Town Rats (I was surprised at this one as well, but listen to the lyrics!)
I Still Havenā€™t Found What Iā€™m Looking For U2
The Trap, Main Theme (BBC use it as theme song on their London marathon coverage)
The Other Side Of Life, Moody Blues
Run For Home, Lindisfarne
One More Cup of Coffee, Bob Dylan
In My Place, Coldplay (Yes, you can tell I cannot get enough of them, so we will call this authorā€™s priveledge. - but lyrics: ā€œI was scared, tired and unpreparedā€ and ā€œHow Long must you wait for itā€ - preumably for self isolation to end)
Constant Craving, KD Laing (Presumably to see the outside world again - can anyone help me there?)

(There is a song called ā€˜isolationā€™ by Simply Red, but was not very inspiring)

I better check some of those are not already in. If anyone has further suggestions really happy to hear them. I reckon this list is going to last till the end of lockdown. Must be well over 100 songs with these. WIsh you I could find more relevant Beatles songs. Perhaps 'She Came Through the Bathroom Window" or ā€œLet It Beā€?

1 Like

haha @DavidAmbassador lovely to hear from you! I put a vote in for Let it be :smiley:

1 Like

You got me again on music, @DavidAmbassador and @Blackhat my thoughts on Beatles songs:
All my loving
Flying ( just 'cose I like it)
Get back
Here comes the sun
Iā€™m Down
In my life
The long and winding road
You canā€™t do that
There are just so many songs I love, by so many artists, that it feels unfair to itemise just a fraction of them. I now have John Milesā€™s ā€˜Musicā€™ in my head, thank you.

1 Like

great choices @Erica! Here comes the sun in particular (for me haha)

1 Like

Brilliant thread!
What about Splendid Isolation, originally by Warren Zevon, but a good version by Joel Fisk & The Breakdown (The Quarantine Sessions)

1 Like

Hi all,
I must admit I prefer the Rolling Stones myself.
I only wish I could still dance like Mick Jaggerā˜¹ļø

Good newsā€” clinic is going ahead with monthly cycle number 70 of Azacitidine next week, I must admit I was terrified that they wouldnā€™t. Some cancer patients at hospital have had their treatment suspended.
ā€œI will survive ā€œ

Best wishes and good luck
Anthony

3 Likes

Hi, Anthony, if you could dance like Jagger I would have wanted a selfie of this.
What a relief that your monthly cycle of treatment is going ahead. Some hospitals seem to be getting their act together now and ensuring different parts of their services are isolated from each other. Let us know how it goes.
Good choice of the classic ā€˜I will surviveā€™, I will now be singing it all day.
Stay safe and take care.

2 Likes

Oh, Maple, a good thought there.

Thanks Erica,
To tell the truth I couldnā€™t dance like Jagger in the 60s either.
I could skip jive to traditional jazz though then, legs pumping like a Derby winner. Copious amounts of alcoholic input needed to do that.
Best wishes
Anthony

2 Likes

I had been meaning to post on this topic when I was feeling stronger. There are some great tracks mentioned. I have a wide ranging taste in music, and was named after Louis Armstrong. I grew up with Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simone, Count Basie et al!
As I should have been going to see Crowded House in June my first offering is ā€œEveryone is hereā€. The Finn Brothers also did a track " Wonā€™t give in".
The Blue Jays (Lodge/Hayward from Moody Blues) had a brilliant LP and I am certainly ā€œSaved by the Musicā€ and also add ā€œRemember me, my friend "
From Bryan Ferry ā€œLetā€™s stick togetherā€
Ronan Keating ā€œLife is a Rollercoasterā€ and ā€œI hope you danceā€
Billy Joel " Storm frontā€ for all who ignore warnings !
Wilson Phillips " Hold on for one more day"
Joshua Radin " Brand New Day"

On the classical front I offer
ā€œComfort ye, my peopleā€ from Handelā€™s Messiah
Beethovenā€™s 9th symphony

1 Like

@Blackhat Good news Anthony! :smiley: Hope all is okay with you!

1 Like

like the Ronan Keating choice @Pisces56! very catchy tune too :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Pisces56 Some good choices there, when I was growing up we had one record by Winifred Attwell and a wind up record player. That was until I got into my teens and the 60ā€™s music scene started. We then had a red record player.

2 Likes

Hi again, so happy people are enjoying this discussion! Some really excellent suggestions there. @Erica, I was tempted to discuss the music topic at our meeting today but did not want to hijack it (Was assuming it must be the same Erica!)
I think there is enough there to extend the list considerably! The official criteria is (Sorry this just tongue in check, no offical criteria, just official waffle)
Lyrics relevant
Inspirational
Excellent song (= shameless bias of authour :grinning:)

Have not yet caught up with all the messages (Been busy) but get back to you wonderful people over the weekend

1 Like

We would really have hijacked the meeting !!!

Hi @Pisces56. Glad you are feeling stornger. We have our ups and downs, so we need ride the storm when it is a bad time - yes, I just decided to add the Doors to the list! I absolutely loved the Blue Jays (and before the Moody Blues). I went to see the Blue Jays live once.
I love the suggestions and going to add a few of these and Bryan Ferry. Will update listsoon (might take out the scoring though, as feeling less nerdy today :grinning:

Donā€™t know Josua Radinā€™s song but I do quite like 10CC with same named song

take care

2 Likes

hi @Erica maybe we should suggest this as a topic at the next coffee morning! Or I am just losing my grip? I just had another idea for a variant to this list. stories based on song lyrics.
See below.

1 Like

Hi @SuBloodcancerUK, after much deliberation by the committee, I am pleased to announce your choice will be in the next update. It was a close run thing as there were so many worthy contenders, but how could we reject a Beatles song? :grinning:

1 Like

If anyone is truly bored, I have decided that a ā€˜funā€™ variance to the song list theme would be to write songs based on lyrics. Sorry I cannot give a prize for the best story, but you will get something far more valuable, a thumbs up emoji.

I will not write such a silly story, after all, what kind of fool am I? Iā€™m all shook up. When morning has broken I am so tired, and when I throw those curtains wide, all I usually want to do is get back to the usual things. Like looking at a map and trying to find the way to San Jose (or is that just me?).I explained this to my friend, Major Tom, and all he could say was:
ā€œJust forget about the usual thing. I donā€™t wanna know about the usual thing, you can go your own wayā€
So I did and after just one more cup of coffee, I contemplate all the changes: many, too many are not happy, shiny people.
Things can only get better. When I get knocked down, I get up again. Yes, I really believe its getting so much better all the time. I wonā€™t give in. I am a believer that tomorrow will be a perfect day. Sorry, I have to stop there as a friend of mine, Layla, is acting strange. She came in through the bathroom window. Very strange. People are strange donā€™t you think? In fact, isnā€™t life strange? Or is that just me? I mentioned this to Major Tom, and all he could say is ā€œNothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters to meā€.

(Think I better stop there!)

Looking forward to your stories (or is that just me :grinning:)

3 Likes

Ah You canā€™t do that, perfect! So apt.

1 Like