The Fun (and Nerdy) Musical Guide to Shielding

Perhaps you are like me, sometimes it all gets too much. I have been trying to work full-time from home, trying to keep in touch with news about covid-19, trying to make contributions, whilst worrying about side effects of treatment and just adapting to self-isolation. When things get tough, I have an escape valve which is best desribed as ‘nerdy humour.’ You know, the type of humour which makes your kids cringe.

So one night earlier this week, I decided to write this guide, originally for my own amusement, but then I realised it would be good to share. So here you go, if you enjoy it 10% as much as I did writing it, then I will be happy! I hope it helps ease your pain and takes your mind off blood cancer for a bit.

Music has been an important part of my life, particularly since I was diagnosed with blood cancer way back in the 20th Century. But I am not as old as that makes me sound!
I took up running shortly after recovering from chemo way back in 2002 and have completed every Great North Run (Half Marathon) since then for, as it was then, the Leukaemia and Lympoma Research Fund. Last year I did my first ever marathon at London. It taught me that very good things can come from personal struggles, and the current crisis is reinforcing that.

Training for a marathon is not easy, especially if you are struggling with blood cancer, but the one constant that kept me going was music. Whenever things got tough I would turn to some bit of inspirational music.

So thanks for the music, the songs I’m singing, thanks for all the joy they’re bringing. Who can live without it? I ask in all honesty, what would life be, without a song or a dance what are we? So as the logical deduction of the above is undoubtedly that music saved my life, I really once more say thank you for the music. Fortunately, I do not normally inflict singing upon anyone as that would be cruelty beyond measure.

As my homage to music, I have decided to select some songs that are relevant to staying at home, either because of the lyrics, or because the music is inspirational, capable of helping you forget about covid-19 just for a little time.

Some of these songs are from my own running playlist, but others are there just for the lyrics. I appreciate musical taste is entirely subjective, and even I do not like some of these (though most I do), I am sure you may be able to suggest others so feel free to share here. I am always willing to try out new stuff!

Having given that massive introduction, let’s get going.

In the spirit of Eurovision Song Contest home marking, I have rated the songs (out of 10) by the following criteria:

Relevance of Lyrics (RL): lyrics that mention something to do with self-isolation

Crying Factor Warning (CFW): Otherwise known as “Cringe Factor Warning”, related to danger of crying or of shouting “That is so cringy!”: Remember, crying is good for you sometimes so feel free to indulge (or avoid) according to your inclination.

Fantasy Factor: Power to help you escape COVID-19

We have all the time in the World, Louis Armstrong : The title speaks for itself. I have written to the Government to recommend that when, at the next press conference, the minister concerned is asked “When will all this end?” he simply bursts into a rendition of this song. And finished with “only love”. That should sort them for at least six months. The thought of Matt Hancock bursting into song brings tears to my eyes. [RL: 10; CFW: 5; FF: 6]=21

Stay, Rihanna: I am not sure why Rihanna is so worried. We are all self-isolating, so have no choice. But it’s a nice song so I will let her off. I gave an extra RL point for “ On and On We Go ”. [RL: 6; CFW: 6; FF: 4]=16

Hide in Your Shell, Supertramp: As we crawl into our little shells, let’s remember this fantastic pop group from the eighties. Seems like yesterday. [RL: 8; CFW:1; FF:5]=16

Trouble, Coldplay: Justified entry because a) It’s Coldplay b) the lyrics: ‘ Here I am in my bubble ’ [RL: 7; CFW: 1; FF: 9]=17

The Times They Are a Changin’, Bob Dylan: Admit that the waters around you have grown -Accept it that soon you’ll be drenched to the bone - If your time to you is worth savin’ -
Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone- For the times they are a-changin’ [RL:10; CFW:6; FF:6]=22 {Selected by @Blackhat

Changes, David Bowie: I still don’t know what I was waiting for-And my time was running wild-A million dead-end streets-And every time I thought I’d got it made-It seemed the taste was not so sweet-So I turned myself to face me-But I’ve never caught a glimpse-Of how the others must see the faker-I’m much too fast to take that test–Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes-(Turn and face the strange)-Ch-ch-changes-Don’t want to be a richer man-Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes-(Turn and face the strange)-Ch-ch-changes-Just gonna have to be a different man-Time may change me-But I can’t trace time- [RL:9; CFW:2; FF:6]=17

Tragedy, Bee Gees: In a lost and lonely part of town……I just can’t make it all alone, I really should be holding you, but 6 metres distant is tragedy, tragedy”. Barry, you are not suffering alone. [RL: 10; CFW: 3; FF:3]=16

The Carnival Is Over, The Seekers: It’s not only the Carnival. It’s Wimbledon, football, the Olympics, the London Marathon and worse, far worse, the Eurovision Song Contest. Not to mention filming on the next episodes of Casualty and Line of Duty . And to anyone who is mumbling to themselves “Every cloud…”, shame on you. [RL:9; CFW: 8; FF: 5]=22

Don’t You Worry Child, Swedish House Mafia: After those last two, perhaps you need a little cheering up. So here you go: Get dancing!! Don’t you worry, Eurovision will come back again next year (Sorry) [RL: 9; CFW: 1; FF: 9]=19

Flames, David Guetta and Sia : Now that you are nicely warmed up, this will really get you going: One step in front of the other, keep on moving, we can do this . Go, go, go, don’t stop moving. You are exercising, aren’t you? And if that doesn’t work for you, try Titanium . [RL: 5; CFW: 5; FF: 5]=15

Tell Me Lies, Fleetwood Mac: I thought the lyrics weren’t relevant, but then I heard: If I could turn the page in time, then then I’d rearrange; just a day or two; Close my, close my, close my eyes…Although I’m not making plans; I hope that you understand; There’s a reason why;
Close your, close your, close your eyes [RL:9; CFW:5; FF:6]=20

Sounds of Silence, Simon and Garfunkel: One good thing is that there is far less noisy traffic, enjoy the silence, [RF: 7; CFW:3; FF:5] = 15

Find the Cost of Freedom, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: This is song has an ethereal, haunting spirit. Short, but oh so sweet. And so appropriate for this list. [RL:10; CFW:5; FF:7]=22

Tubthumping, Chumbawamba : I get knocked down, but I get up again, you’re never going to keep me down . That could cover a lot of things. We might have been knocked down initially, but we are going to bounce right back. Anyone who has been diagnosed with blood cancer is used to doing this. Well done! Be careful not to take the drinking part too literally however. [RL: 10; CFW: 1 FF: 1]=12

Good As H…, Ariane Grande* : Another jaunty one, and part of the trick is convincing yourself that you are feeling good. [RL:2; CFW: 5 FF:6]=13

Land of Confusion, Genesis: Now, did you read the news today?-They say the danger has gone away-But I can see the fire’s still alight-They’re burning into the night-There’s too many men, too many people-Making too many problems-And there’s not much love to go around-Can’t you see this is the land of confusion? [RF:10; CFW:5; FF:8]=23

Clocks, Coldplay: Confusion never stops -Closing walls and ticking clocks -Gonna come back and take you home -I could not stop that you now know, singing - -Come out upon my seas -Cursed missed opportunities -Am I a part of the cure? -Or am I part of the disease? [RL=6; CFW=4; FF=8]=18

Battle of Britain Theme : Might not suit everyone, and I am not usually a fan of war films, but the music is inspiring. As some are saying we need to rekindle the wartime spirit to get through this, perhaps it will help a little. Once we finally get through this thing, just imagine the spitfire doing the victory roll. [RL:1; CFW: 8; FF: 8]=17

Day Tripper, the Beatles: Yes, I know we are not allowed to go outside, but we are allowed to dream about it, aren’t we? Dream on, we will soon be there. [RL:3; CFW: 3; FF: 8]=14

This Girl, Kungs & Cooking on 3 Burners: Yet another one to get us moving, it might not score well on my criteria, but it would be a ‘10’ for good to exercise to. I feel my mood lifting already! [RL:3; CFW: 1; FF: 5]=9

Human, Rag’n’bone Man: I am only human after all, don’t put the blame on me [RL:9; CFW:1; FF:3]=13

Fragile, Sting: None of us really need reminding How fragile we are. More so than ever. [RL:10; CFW:8; FF:2]=20

Fix You, Coldplay: I chose this because a) It’s Coldplay and b) it’s Coldplay. We all need a little fixing right now, just let this song help you. [RL: 10; CFW: 9; FF: 6]=25

Perfect Day, Lou Reid: You made me forget myself. Just do not follow the advice about going to the park. (unless you living 500 miles from the nearest human being. Instead dream of the perfect days to come. [RL:7; CFW:3; FF:8]=18

Angels, Robbie Williams: So when I’m lying in my bed-Thoughts running through my head-And I feel the love is dead-I’m loving angels instead-And through it all she offers me protection-A lot of love and affection-Whether I’m right or wrong-And down the waterfall-Wherever it may take me-I know that life won’t break me-When I come to call, she won’t forsake me-I’m loving angels instead-When I’m feeling weak-And my pain walks down a one way street-I look above-And I know I’ll always be blessed with love-And as the feeling grows-She breathes flesh to my bones-And when love is dead-I’m loving angels instead [RL:10; CFW:10; FF:8]=28 {Chosen by @Erica.}

Wings, Birdy: Oh, lights go down-In the moment we’re lost and found-And I just wanna be by your side-If these wings could fly-For the rest of our lives [RL:8;CFW:10; FF:8]=28
I Will Survive. Gloria Gaynor: You cannot beat the shear unadulterated cheese factor of Gloria Gaynor booming out that she will survive. We will all survive this thing together! [RL: 8; CFW: 10; FF: 6] =24

Sweet Caroline: Neil Diamond: This is pure fantasy. It deserves a place, even if the lyrics are nothing to do with self-isolation. Good Times Never Tasted So Good. My mood has gone up another ten notches [RL:0; CFW: 9; FF:10] =19

I’m Still Standing, Elton John . Well actually Elton we are mainly sitting on the sofa, but you’ve just changed this, thanks. Another survival song [RL:3; CFW: 4; FF:3]=10

High, Lighthouse Family: Don’t you think it’s time doing what we always wanted….one day we’re going to get so high. Speaks for itself. [RL:6; CFW: 6; FF=4]=14

Another Day In Paradise, Phil Collins: If we can just pretend, even for a minute, it will help enormously, I promise. [RL:4; CFW:6; FF=10]=20

Alright Now, Free: Another one that speaks for itself [RL:7; CFW:3 FF:4]=14

Our House, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: You are going to be in it for a while, so savour it. [RL:10; CFW:1; FF=2]=13

In My Room, Beach Boys: Now is the time to explore every crevice of your room and Lock out all your worries and fears. So what better background music to do this than the dulcet tones of the Beach Boys. I might even get to clearing the room out (eventually). [RL:10; CFW: 1; FF:8]=19

Solitaire: The Carpenters: Does what is says on the tin: we are all playing this game now. [RL:10; CFW:1; FF:7]=18

Nothing’s Going to Stop us, Jefferson Starship: Let the world around us-Just fall apart-Baby, we can make it–If we’re heart to heart-And we can build this dream together-Standing strong forever-Nothing’s gonna stop us now [RL=6; CFW:7; FF=6]=19

Proud, Heather Small: What have you done today to make me feel proud? Probably quite a lot.[RL=5; CFW=7; FF=4]=16

One Day Like This, Elbow: Throw those curtains wide, one day like this a year will see me right . We are even told to laugh politely at repeats. How appropriate. Try to enjoy each and every day, it’s so cheesy, and I love it!! [RL:10; CFW: 10; FF:10]=30

Don’t Look Back in Anger, Oasis: If the last song crossed your cringe barrier, here is the perfect antidote. After all, we cannot turn the clock back so let’s look forward to better times ahead. [RL:6; CFW:0; FF:6]=12

Everybody Hurts, R. E. M.: The clear winner in the CFW rating competition. Remember to have a box of tissues handy. Perhaps not the most uplifiting song in this list, hence the CFW! [RL:7; CFW:10; FF:0]=17

Band On The Run, Wings : Stuck inside these four walls, sent inside forever, never seeing anyone, nice again, like you…If I Ever Get Out of Here, thought about giving it all away to a registered charity. Come on Paul, cheer up, we will eventually be able to stop self-isolating. Still he must have foreseen this. But I like the part about the registered charity, we should ask Paul if he can help Blood Cancer UK, I am sure he is a kind person [RL:10; CFW:0; FF:8]=18

Don’t Stand So Close To Me, the Police: Paul McCartney was not the only one who foresaw this. Well done to Sting and Co. The lack of mention of 2 meters is a little disappointing however. [RL:10; CFW:0; FF:1]=11

It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I feel fine), R.E.M : Need I say more? [RL:10; CFW:1; FF:1]=12

Alone Again (Naturally), Gilbert O’Sullivan: Pure corn. [RL:10; CFW:10; FF:0]=20

Stayin’ Alive, Bee Gees: Yet another song about survival. How strange! [RL:10; CFW:6; FF:4]=20

I Want To Break Free, Queen: We all do Freddie, but patience, paticience. [RL:9; CFW:1; FF:8]=17

Crazy City, Barclay James Harvest: Running alone in the crazy city-Look at the face of once were pretty-People then wonder what happened-To make it that way-Stop awhile, take a smile-Know that you’re living in today-Up and down, look around-No need to hide yourself away-Out in the country’s where I’m going-Back where the tree of life’s still growing A song that Nostradamus himself would be proud of. Not only anticipates the need not to hide ourselves away during self-isolation, but realises many would try to flout the rules by escaping to the country. Uncanny. [RL:10; CFW:1; FF:5]=16

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, Diana Ross: A song all about overcoming adversity. What better inspiration than that? [RL:10; CFW:8; FF:7]=25

Everywhere, Fleetwood Mac: My interpretation is that this is a homage to video meetings in the Internet. Now we can meet friends and relatives, no matter near or far. Yes, I know it was written years before the Internet, but I will call this dramatic license. {RL:7; CFW:3; FF:4]=14 {Chosen by @Erica}

(They Long To Be) Close To You, The Carpenters: Why do stars fall from the sky every time you walk by? Most likely because the person is not observing proper social distancing. But why are you out anyway? [RL:8; CFW:4; FF:6]=18

Blowin in the Wind, Bob Dylan: Some of the best lyrics ever written, in just about every song he wrote. He deservedly won the Nobel Prize, and, an even higher honour, a place on this list.[RL:6; CFW:4; FF:10] =20 {Chosen by @Blackhat}

Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd: I appreciate Pink Floyd is like marmite, but please do try and give this a listen. It is a long one, but has the power to make you drift and dream away! [RL:10; CFW: 1; FF:9]=20

Miracles, Coldplay: I chose this because, well, you get the picture. [RL:5; CFW:3; FF:7]=15

Set Fire to the Rain, Adele: I will come clean, I had to find a way of getting an Adele song into this list. Justification? Shivers down the spine, it’s off the scale for CFW factor. [RL:2; CFW:10; FF:9]=21

I Talk To The Wind, King Crimson: Said the straight man to the late man-Where have you been-I’ve been here and I’ve been there-And I’ve been in between–I talk to the wind-My words are all carried away-I talk to the wind-The wind does not hear-The wind cannot hear–I’m on the outside looking inside-What do I see-Much confusion, disillusion-All around me–I talk to the wind-My words are all carried away-I talk to the wind-The wind does not hear-The wind cannot hear– [RL:9; CFW:1; FF:9]=19

Shake It Out, Florence and the Waves: Just shake out all the bad thoughts, come out strong. [RL:7; CFW:2 FF:7]=16

You Raise Me Up, Secret Garden: When I am down, and, oh, my soul, so weary
When troubles come, and my heart burdened be…You raise me up to walk on stormy seas-I am strong when I am on your shoulders-You raise me up to more than I can be [RL:8;CFW:9;FF:8]

Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd: I thought this song was most appropriate whilst I was taking painkillers for joint pain. [RL:9; CFW:2; FF:10]=21

The Boy In the Bubble, Paul Simon: Part of a superb album, well worth a listen as we sit in our own bubbles. [RL:10; CFW:1; FF=6] =17

This Is My Song, Petula Clark: Is this song really relevant to this list? Probably not, but always sends shivers down my spine, so comes under the ‘uplifting’ category. Amazingly, it was written by Charlie Chaplin. Yes, that one. Why are the stars so bright?-Why is the sky so blue? Probably because the weather is going to be fantastic when we have to stay home. Reminds me of studying for exams. [RL:2; CFW:5; FF:7]=14

Question, the Moody Blues: Why do we never get an answer when we’re knocking on the door?. Simple answer Justin, social distancing. [RL:7; CFW:7; FF:8] = 22

In the Air Tonight: Phil Collins: I do not need to tell you about the relevance of these lyrics, it’s almost spooky. [RL:9; CFW:1; FF:4] = 14

Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Elton John: I never realized the passing hours of evening showers -A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams -I’m strangled by your haunted social scene -Just a pawn out-played by a dominating queen -It’s four o’clock in the morning -… -I’m sleeping with myself tonight -Saved in time, thank God my music’s still alive - -And I would have walked head on into the deep end of the river -Clinging to your stocks and bonds -Paying your H.P. demands forever -They’re coming in the morning with a truck to take me home -Someone saved my life tonight, someone saved my life tonight -Someone saved my life tonight,….So save your strength and run the field you play alone - - [RL:8; CFW:2; FF:3]=13

Ordinary World, Duran Duran: What has happened to it all?-Crazy, some’d say-Where is the life that I recognize?-Gone away-But I won’t cry for yesterday-There’s an ordinary world-Somehow I have to find-And as I try to make my way-To the ordinary world-I will learn to survive [RL=7;CFW=5;FF=6]=18

Love the One Your With, Stephen Stills: A sensible policy right now, even if you can’t be with the one you love! [RL=7; CFW=2; FF=4]=13

Alive, Sia: Listen as Sia booms out, I will survive…I AM STILL BREATHING….I AM ALIVE!!! [RL:10; CFW:6; FF:6]=22

Help! The Beatles: Help, I need someone…Help me if you can I am feeling down…and now my life has changed in some many ways…my independence vanishes in the haze…every now and then I feel so insecure…Help me if you can… I do appreciate you being round As good now as is it was then [RL:10; CFW:4; FF=8]=22

Only Time, Enya: who can say, only time. Profound, Enya. [RL:8; CFW:7; FF:6]=21

White Flag, Dido: I defy to listen to this one without shedding a manly (or womanly) tear!. Keep on fighting, we will beat this, there will be no white flag. [RL:9; CFW:10; FF:7]=26

Wonderful Life, Black: Once more a song reminding us that life is precious. Simply beautiful, [RL:8; CFW: 10; FF:8]=26

Sick Boy, The Chainsmokers: They Say That I am the Sick Boy. Let them say what they want, you are proud, and you are strong! [RF:9; CFW: 5; FF:4]=18

Don’t Panic, Coldplay: It might be hard to agree right now, but we live in a beautiful world. [RL:5;CFW:1; FF:10]=16

Mission Impossible, Main Title Theme: It can sometimes seem like Mission Impossible, but as you will recall, the hero always triumphs against all odds, as we shall. [RL:N/A; CFW:1; FF:10] =11

Against All Odds, Phil Collins: We will come through this, against all odds. You can feel the struggle against adversity in the melody, and the eventual triumph. [RL:8; CFW:9; FF:6]=23

Run, Snow Patrol: A song about redemption, pure inspiration. We’ll run for our lives. [RL:8; CFW:10; FF:6]=24

I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself, Dionne Warwick: Yes, I understand that Dionne, we are all struggling a little with this, but you have just got to try. Firstly develop a routine, then find a new hobby, how about writing some song lists? I can really recommend it. [RL:10; CFW:2; FF:3]=15

Eye of The Tiger, Survivor: Yet another song about survival. [RL:8; CFW:3; FF:4]=15

True Colours, Cydni Lauper: You with the sad eyes-Don’t be discouraged, oh I realize-It’s hard to take courage-In a world full of people-You can lose sight of it all-The darkness inside you
-Can make you feel so small-Show me a smile then-Don’t be unhappy-Can’t remember when
-I last saw you laughing-This world makes you crazy-And you’ve taken all you can bear-Just call me up-'Cause I will always be there-And I see your true colors-Shining through-I see your true colors-And that’s why I love you-So don’t be afraid to let them show–Your true colors-True colors are beautiful-I see your true colors-Shining through (true colors)-I see your true colors-And that’s why I love you–So don’t be afraid to let them show-Your true colors-True colors are beautiful (they’re beautiful)-Like a rainbow [RL:10;CFW:10;FF:9]=29

Helplessly Hoping, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Haven’t all of us been doing a bit of this lately? Perhaps our hoping will become less hopeless soon. [RL:9; CFW:6; FF:7]=22

We Can Work It Out, the Beatles: We will find a way to overcome these difficult times. [RL:10; CFW:7; FF:5]=22

I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues, Elton John: Bernie Taupin wrote some cracking lyrics, didn’t he? And in this case, highly relevant ones: Don’t wish it away–Don’t look at it like it’s forever-Between you and me I could honestly say-That things can only get better-And while I’m away-Dust out the demons inside-And it won’t be long before you and me run-To the place in our hearts where we hide-And I guess that’s why they call it the blues-Time on my hands could be time spent with you-Laughing like children, living like lovers-Rolling like thunder under the covers-And I guess that’s why they call it the blues [RL:10; CFW:5: FF:4]=19

Counting Stars, One Republic: The better nights are coming, time to take up a little stargazing. Everything that kills me makes me feel alive….I’ve been training hard [RL:6; CFW:2; FF:10]=18

Run Boy Run, Woodkid: Rekindles the feeling that we want to escape. Keep running (at home). [RL:7; CFW:2; FF:10]=19

Caught in a Trap, Elvis Presley: Seems an obvious one now! [RL:10; CFW:2; FF:7] {Selected by Mark}

The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics: You can interpret the lyrics as either nostalgia for when we could go out for a coffee at our favourite cafeteria, or as a joyous celebration that we are going to live each and every moment the best we can. Either is acceptable! [RL:9; CFW:7; FF:6]=22 {Selected by @Erica}

Search for the Hero, M People Love this song, thanks to @Blackhat for suggesting it. [RL:10; CFW: 4; FF:8]=22

Take 5, Dave Brubeck: As Blackchat mentioned he likes jazz, this is in your honour. Good to put the kettle on and listen to this. [RL:N/A; CFW: 1; FF:9]=10

Living In The Past, Jethro Tull: Once I used to join in-Every boy and girl was my friend-Now there’s revolution, but they don’t know-What they’re fighting–Let us close our eyes-Outside their lives go on much faster-Oh, we won’t give in-We’ll keep living in the past–Oh, we won’t give in-Let’s go living in the past–Oh no, no we won’t give in-Let’s go living in the past- [RL:6; CFW:1; FF:7]=14

What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong: On a day like today, staring out at beautiful blue skies, I can believe that Louis was right. [RL:8; CFW:8; FF:7]=23

Thank You For the Music, ABBA: As the list draws to a close, how appropriate to once more show our appreciation for the music, and ABBA. [RL:9; CFW:8; FF:8]=25

Heroes, David Bowie: Last but not least, for all the frontline workers, NHS, Social care, you name it, we love you! [RL:10; CFW:6; FF=6]=22

4 Likes

@DavidAmbassador Thank you for sharing this post!! I really enjoyed reading it and I think others will too. It’s definitely good to have some lightheartedness during these worrying and uncertain times.

Hopefully others will follow suit and share what songs are helping them get them through shielding!..

1 Like

Another reason I decided to post( wasn’t sure if it was appropriate) is that, by amazing coincidence, just this morning I learnt that Mark Noblet, also an ambassador, is sharing some songs he selected on BBC Radio 6. So I might add some from this. One obvious one which I forgot is “Caught in a Trap”. So adding it now, thanks Mark! :grinning: (I will add, selected by Mark to the ones I use from his)

3 Likes

Hey David,
Good thinking, although my taste is different from yours, I’m sure I’m older too, 75.
I’ve built up a playlist on Spotify that remind me of the most happy times in my life.
Traditional Jazz is my thing, I was a teenager in the 60s (glory days)
I like all the Seekers songs and Gloria Gaynor, I will survive.
In the Mid 70s I worked in the music industry and at the yearly bash, Pinnacle Records who I worked for had a stand along with other record companies at Cannes.
There I met the Seekers and Elton John, and at a black tie do in the evening( I got in as saying I was a roadie) I saw Gloria Gaynor sing from the wings, far closer than the toffs in the audience.
I love all songs by ABBA too, sheer poetry. Bob Dylan likewise.
I also sat next to Elton John on the plane back to Heathrow, shared a drink and chat. He had hair then and didn’t dress like the Queen Mother.
I was out for a walk yesterday social distancing of course.
It made me chuckle a bit as I used to dress beatnik style in the 60s and people often used to cross over the road to avoid me.
My mother refused to be seen out with me!!
Music is my pleasure too ( John Miles) a beautiful song.
Best wishes David and thanks for sharing
Anthony

3 Likes

Such a nice post @Blackhat, thanks. I think I need to find a Bob Dylan song to add to the list. Blowing in the Wind is a contender, but I will have a think about it!. Fantastic you got to meet the Seekers and Elton John. Pleased you like some of the songs but of course everyone has slightly different taste. Very open to further suggestions to add to the list!

2 Likes

Backchat, I just thought of an appropriate jazz song which I like, Take 5 by David Brubeck. Thanks, going to add it.

1 Like

Hi David,
I was going to mention Blowing in the wind.
Bye Bye Miss American Pie.
Couple of old New Orleans jazz standards
Over in the glory land.
Just a little while to stay here
Walking with the king. I sang this with the long dead trumpeter Ken Colyer at the Croydon Jazz Club in 1962.
Eve of destruction by Barry McGuire this was banned in Australia when I was there in 1965.
In the year 2525 by Zagger and Evans
Where have all the flowers gone
Keep right on to the end of the road.Harry Lauder
Bad moon rising. Credence Clearwater Revival
Search for the hero inside yourself. M people
I could list a lot more, not necessarily gloomy, just tunes that revive memories of my past.
One tune that makes me really emotional is Thank you for the days. By the Kinks. A constant reminder of my ex wife who I still love but I’m happy to still have her friendship, I’ve known her for 45 years, married for 28 with 4 children.
Absolutely nothing to do with the rest of this message, my apologies
Best wishes
Anthony

2 Likes

Hi @DavidAmbassador, @Blackhat and @Alice_BloodCancerUK, ooohh a music post, the love of my life. Emotionally I connect with Freddy Mercury, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, Eva Cassidy and Roberta Flack to name a few.
My funeral music comprises of, in no particular order:
Seasons in the Sun - Westlife
Morning has broken - Cat Stevens
Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac
Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
Live the Life - Rod Stewart
Pure love - Rod Stewart Time
The first cut is the deepest - Rod Stewart
Time - Freddy Mercury
These are the days of our lives - Queen
Heaven for everyone - Queen
Let it grow - Eric Clapton
Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton
Three times a Lady - Lionel Richie
Angels - Robbie Williams
The Living years - Mike and the Mechanics
Tonight I celebrate my love for you - Roberta Flack
Days -The Kinks
A whiter shade of pale -Procul Harem
I am now singing every single song in my head. I await others contributions.

2 Likes

Some fantastic suggestions @Erica @Blackhat , going to add a few of these. Doesn’t it just make you feel good?

1 Like

Hi @DavidAmbassador, @Blackhat and @Alice_BloodCancerUK It sure does make me feel good. I could add so many songs to my list.

Feel free @Erica :grinning: and @Blackhat, and anyone else who fancies it!

1 Like

Thanks Alice, I really enjoyed doing it, keep thinking of new ones!

1 Like

Hey David,
One song to put on your playlist
The times they are a’changing . again by Bob Dylan
Best wishes Anthony

2 Likes

Sorted, it will be in! :+1:

1 Like

Antony and @DavidAmbassador, the days sure are a changing. I am singing Bonnie Tyler songs in my head today.

Sorry David, @blackhat and I am going down Memory Lane and I am replying to his post under What is the effect of being in COV-19 isolation having on your close relationships.
Oh, I love song Brighton Beach and The first cut is the deepest, although I had the PP Arnold version.
A lot of Freddy’s songs that I liked were very knowing after his HIV diagnosis
My husband, who apparently looked like a Yeti in the Sixties, used to book bands for his Uni, some before they were famous.

Hi @Erica, @blackchat, so glad you are enjoying this. I cannot stop adding new songs, nearly up to 100 now! I have found this so therapeutic New one to add: Changes, David Bowie. Now why didn’t I think of that before? :grinning: This will be a ‘real list’ on my online play list.

1 Like

Oh, @DavidAmbassador and @Blackhat, that’s another classic song that I cannot stop singing now in my head.

fantastic thread @DavidAmbassador thank you so much for starting :smiley: keep them coming everyone!

1 Like

thanks @SuBloodcancerUK

1 Like