Aml diagnosis

Hi, my gorgeous dad has just been diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) only yesterday and our lives have been turned upside down.

Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone had any words of advice, wisdom, support.

seem like all we are hearing at the moment is negative

thankyou
nicola x

3 Likes

Hi Nicola, i wish i had some words of wisdom, knowledge or advice. But i don’t, i was just so taken by you saying “my gorgeous dad”. Im so glad he’s that to you - i had one of those too. I just wanted to say that I’m so sorry for the situation you are so newly facing and that my thoughts and every good wish are with you. I could tell you that you’re not alone, that others stand with you, that asking qts is a great idea, the importance of listening and making notes, but this will feel empty perhaps. Its all true but that takes time to get your head round. For now, its information overload, frantic thoughts and fear- they all have their place. For now, i wish you well and hope you know this is a safe space to be you, just you.

2 Likes

Hi @NickyD I have responded to your other post.
@judesadventures has given you a very good response.
It must be so overwhelming for you for you at the moment.
Be ever so kind to yourselves and spoil yourselves.
And yes, we are here to support you

I’m really sorry that you’re going through this. I’m pleased you are posting - it has really helped me since my husband was diagnosed in October.

I don’t have an answer for you unfortunately, but you can do this, one moment at a time. It is overwhelming, almost an entirely new language and unfortunately it is a fast moving blood cancer so time is of the essence in most things.

We have however had some wonderful moments together. Things that have helped me; posting on here, talking to people, allowing and accepting my emotions which can behave like a yo yo, taking care of some of the more practical elements - choosing care options, thinking about our finances etc.

Sending good thoughts and strength to you all. Unfortunately there is no magic button to press to reach the end of the Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) roller coaster however perhaps in a strange way I have found blessings in this too.

4 Likes

Hi there Nicola

Sorry to hear the news about your gorgeous Dad. I echo what the others have replied. An Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) diagnosis really is a rollercoaster of a ride. My gorgeous 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) last April. Feel free to read my discussion post on here.

A good thing is you have found this forum. It is a wonderful, safe space to share and seek information. The @BloodCancerUK-SupportTeam are amazing. So are the individuals who input and share on the forums.

As @judesadventures said - do ask lots of questions and be kind to yourself as you travel on this journey with your gorgeous Dad.

Sarah

2 Likes