Anniversary

Next week I will reach my five years milestone. Five years ago my husband and I were on holiday in Lithuania experiencing the most extreme weather- it was -29c when we landed and the warmest day was around-15c. The snow was powder dry it was fantastic and extreme at the same time.
I often visit a hairdresser abroad ( don’t know why) like a new cut once in a while. When I was there my phone rang . I didn’t answer but when I came out there was a missed call. I rang back it was my local hospital. We have an appointment for you tomorrow at 1pm - eh what !! I explained I was on holiday and the nervous sounding lady said ok she would speak to the Dr but wouldn’t tell me anything more . I went to meet my husband and then got another call from another hosp dept we have appointment for you on Tuesday at 3pm.
And so it began …… the week before I had, been for a scan following years of indigestion but what was all this. Yes an incidental lymphoma diagnosis. I actually had a really large abdominal mass.
But 9 rounds of rchop later and 2 extended covid years of maintenance I am celebrating life in all its glory. At the the time I was told it was never curable but could be controlled. So I am really happy that I have got to this day , few bumps along the road with odd scans to check but long may it remain stable and under control. I am eternally grateful to the Dr who checked out my indigestion and found the lymphoma and to my lymphoma team. I have always had fantastic treatment and can’t thank everyone enough especially my husband and wonderful daughters for supporting me throughout.
We are off to the Lake District next week , to have a mini break together with our dog Harry.
I hope anyone else having an anniversary this year of any sort has a wonderful time.

5 Likes

Morning @jules. It’s amazing how we remember those initial appointments so vividly. I’m coming up to six years in February with my 6 monthly check at the end of this month.
It’s so nice to plan something in isn’t it.
I to am eternally grateful to my medical team, family and friends but especially my husband mum and daughters, they really did keep me
going! I have also had the same consultant for 6 years - I know some people are not so lucky.
Enjoy every minute of your trip - you truly deserve it! X

2 Likes

Hi @Jules and @Nichola75 Thanks so much for your post @Jules, yes, it is weird how vividly we can remember the day we were diagnosed when I cannot remember where I put my glasses down 10 mins ago.
I was diagnosed 19 yrs ago and I can replay my diagnosis day and the following days so vividly as if I am looking down on the situation being played out with the words Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) with big zig zags around it and I immediately felt in a bubble with the world going on around me.
Yes, I also believe in celebrating all my little wins and my 'cancerversaries, but perhaps in my own quieter way as my husband could not get the concept at all,
My cancerversary is just before Christmas. and it is a very reflective day and I do get ‘survivors guilt’ for others that have not been as fortunate as me. Then I will cook a meal of foods I like.
My hot chocolate in bed tops off my day.
The Lake District sounds idyllic to me enjoy and celebrate @Jules

2 Likes

Yes will definitely be thinking of you for your appointment. When you mentioned yours last week got me thinking about mine and lo and behold one arrived this morning for Valentine’s Day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::kissing_heart: I’m still every 8 weeks and I also have been very lucky and grateful to have had the same fantastic consultant throughout.
I wonder if now it’s 5 years I may be seen less often :thinking:

2 Likes

Congratulations and have a wonderful holiday, @Jules! What a road you’ve been on. You deserve to live life now - have fun! X

2 Likes

Congratulations @Jules and @Nichola75 (for February). Have a lovely time in the Lake District with Harry! :paw_prints:

3 Likes