Any wisdom

For the past 2 years my lymphocytes have come back above 4’000 (I’m not certain what the actual limit should be) I read 4’800 but also 3’000.

Lately I have been ill and my counts were really high. It has lead to a blood film which stated “persistent lymphocytosis” my primary care doctor isn’t concerned. She says this does not mean cancer and more so infection.

I have now another appointment in July for CBC again.

I googled what persistent lymphocytosis mean and it says likely Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)

My question is, how is the “persistent” determined? From the one slide does it show much older cells? Or is this still possible to be reactive ?

Any wisdom I would be grateful. I am really so confused at present

2 Likes

Hi @Bubbles9 welcome to our forum and one of the troubles with blood tests are that they can mean so many things.
I cannot help you medically but what I do know is waiting and not knowing are the worst feelings.
It must be so scary for you.
While you await your next appointment in July it will give you the opportunity to write down all your fears , symptoms, questions other medical conditions, allergies, medications, family history etc.
I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and I was diagnosed 18 yrs ago and I have been a very lucky girl and never had any treatment, some people have treatment immediately.
I am on active monitoring (watch and wait) with blood and other tests at regular intervals.
Look after yourself and be kind to yourself.

3 Likes

Hi @Bubbles9. As with Erica I can’t help. It can mean so many different things. Are you just under your gp or a hospital consultant?I just wondered when you might get the opportunity to ask your questions as Zulu is quite a long time to wait.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply.

18 years wow that’s amazing.

My doctor has told me nothing in the blood smear suggested lukemia and she gave me anti viral treatment.

My lymphocytes are 4’400 and were 4’800 last year.

Before this 3’100

I cannot comment on how they are when I am not unwell as not been tested when healthy.

Were your lymphocytes defined as persistent during routine bloods? How was your Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) found? Has it just stayed steady?

1 Like

My primary care GP.

She says that it is not indicative of leukemia and I shouldn’t worry.

:pensive: I just don’t understand the “persistant” in the report.

I will no doubt make another appointment and ask again before July. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @Bubbles9 I had a routine cervical smear test, pre cancerous cells found and I had a minor op and continued to feel very unwell, fatigued, hot flushes, infections etc and the gynaecologist did blood tests and said ‘I have never had to tell anyone this before, but you have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), I cannot help you, go and see your GP’, and I was out of his office just repeating those 3 words in case I forgot them. I also thought as he could not help me my days were numbered. So I came home and wrote my will ad funeral music.
My blood tests have fluctuated over the years.
You might get 2 or more people with similar blood results and the GP’s/consultants might suggest different ways forward because so many other aspects are taken into account like the results progression, lymph nodes, age, other conditions, medications etc.
Perhaps for peace of mind you might want to write everything down you would like to ask and then make an appointment to see your GP before July.

1 Like

Hi @Bubbles9 it’s good to hear you’re planning to make another appointment to find out more. You’re well within your rights to ask your GP to talk you through the reason/s they’re not concerned around the persistent lymphocytosis. Please do give us a call on 0808 2080 888 if you might find it useful to talk through the different questions etc you might find useful to ask.

2 Likes