Anyone doing a Walk of Light this year?

Well seeing as a photographer, I paint with light and shadow, I am thinking of doing the Walk of Light this year.
So has anyone done one in the past?
Is anyone in the Newcastle area fancy a walk from the Baltic (great venue, shame about the contents) down the Gateshead quayside, under the Tyne Bridge, over the Swing Bridge down river on the Newcastle quayside (pitstop in the Red House optional as is a slice of pizza further along) till getting to the Millennium Bridge, take in the bridges up river, before finishing back at the Baltic?
Update: Signed up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No, but it is a brilliant, stunning, poignant event and fundraiser.

4 Likes

@Erica what? With your range of eclectic clothing and headgear? Thought you would be the star of the show :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for inspiring me to do likewise! Feeling kind of impatient for 30 March already :rofl::mountain::hiking_boot:

2 Likes

@Duncan well yours does have the travel bloggers Instagram glamour factor :rofl:
For someone who loves the countryside, I have surprised myself on both the distance and location, but with some many iconic landmarks in a short distance and as they say “A mighty river running through it” it makes sense.
I have been looking at the reasons people are walking it, especially the in memory parts, feel slightly strange when people have asked and I reply, in memory of the person I used to be and my marriage.
If people were more aware, the symptoms more known, the medical world more informed of cancers that play hide and seek over time, then perhaps less people would have to go through a life changing moment with less destruction to their personal lives.
Good luck with getting Bertie to carry his own day pack :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I should try it.

3 Likes

@Abaziz0786 it is a great way to highlight this issue positively

2 Likes

@Duncan will raise the SF Golden Gate with these gems, one of which I will be crossing :wink:

2 Likes

British industrial design at its best. Love a good bridge, preferably suspended. If it isn’t reminiscent of Heath Robinson then it’s not elaborate enough!

2 Likes

Your route does sound really interesting, and I happen to think that urban settings can be just as scenic as rural ones, especially when they have beautiful and clever old architecture like where you’ll be walking—possibly me, too. Can’t wait to see your snaps! Still got weeks left to seek out further sponsors :hiking_boot::world_map:

2 Likes

@Duncan you decided on a route yet?

2 Likes

Hmm well that might spoil the surprise! I’m waiting till nearer the time to see for sure which route is most requested, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may well be the trail down from Mount Tamalpais to Muir Beach and the pub :heart_eyes::mountain::beers:

2 Likes

@Duncan carb reload in the middle? :wink:

2 Likes

Ha why stop in the middle when I can stuff my face the whole way?! I am kind of intrigued about ending at the pub though as it’s meant to be “British” as in their menu has some vaguely British foods on it. Have yet to find any chippies over here that serve gravy though tut tut :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Although my local brunch spot does make a mean vegan fish and chips with tartare sauce!

2 Likes

@Duncan that just looks wrong and oversized fries? Will contact the Red Cross to send food to you on your walk ASAP

2 Likes

Ha ha ha not quite the big chunky chips I’m used to from a proper chippy! Have to say, the marinaded tofu works really well as a haddock/cod substitute, and definitely tastier than the bland tilapia that tends to be fish of choice for battering here!

2 Likes

@Duncan shuddering at the replacements, stop calling it fish and chips lol

2 Likes

Ha ha ha I know tofu can be bland when unflavoured, can’t it?! But honestly it’s really tasty if it’s marinaded well, and this place (not “plaice”) makes it really well. Their batter is made with local IPAs. The chips… are adequate.

2 Likes

@Duncan
Left over tofu
recycled :wink:

2 Likes