Back at work. How it’s working

Another person suffering with sleepless nights. It really is a big problem isn’t it. I just wish there was a magic cure :pensive:

2 Likes

Hi @MoMo, yes, I also go completely blank when I walk into a hospital and when the consultant asks me how I am I say ‘fine’.

2 Likes

So - the school phoned both girls today and answered every question they had. Both came away feeling a little better. I think the key thing they were told was if they felt unhappy in any way it was their right to say “I don’t feel happy about that”, obviously I’m a polite way! So, another positive for now. I’m back in work tomorrow, forgot how exhausting travelling is and getting up early! My body needs to get used to it again :joy: I’m delivering training all dat tomorrow which I’m actually quite nervous about, both because of the social distancing and the lack of confidence I have every time I time I have long periods off work. Still, this time tomorrow I’ll be finished for the week - phew!

1 Like

Oh @Nichola75, I am impressed that both your girls got calls from their school to re-assure them.
Travelling is definitely exhausting and an extra time out of your day, also if you are not sleeping getting up earlier is not good. You are also running a home don’t forget.
After diagnosis I found delivering training personally stressful, exhausting and fatiguing. My lack of confidence quickly leaps in there too.
Take care and take it steady.

1 Like

Hi Nicola

That’s most impressive that the school called your daughters to talk through their concerns about their return to school. My sons school has also been very supportive and carried out an individual risk assessment for him. I hope your first day back at work went well. It always feels a bit daunting as you say when you’ve been away for a while but I’m sure it all went well once you got started.

All the best,

Peter

1 Like

Your sons school sounds great as well! First week done - exhausted!

1 Like

So - second week in and today I’m working from home again which is good as after a full day on a Monday I’m exhausted. People are being great but at times you do have to give them a gentle reminders. I think people forget easily, about how anxious or scared you might feel and when you work in a school it’s easy to forget yourself just how careful you need to be. It’s hard to think about yourself and feel ok with taking time at home because it impacts so many people when you are not there. Still early days. I’ll keep you updated X

4 Likes

I think I’ve been living in a false world as far as work goes as although I’ve been back a month, there have been no students. That’s going to change over the next couple of weeks though and I don’t have the confidence that the students will abide by the rules. We’re not allowed to challenge non-mask wearers in case they have anxiety issues or disabilities but I think the number of people who fall in these categories is tiny and won’t reflect the number of people who will not wear masks, as is the case on buses and trains. For the forseeable future though I’ll only be on site on Thursdays and Fridays and no late finishes. Student numbers will be restricted and time limited.

4 Likes

Hi @Franko, please let us know how things feel and go when the students return. It is always scary when you cannot the people and things around you. Look after yourself and I have found the Blood Cancer UK Please stand back badges help a bit.

1 Like

I have completed a couple of days with students in. We are in small bubbles, in my bubble I am not supposed to walk around the class or go near the students. I am really struggling with this as I dont feel I can teach well with these constraints. We have scheduled times when we can use the toilets. Areas of the playground for each bubble, with staggered breaks.
All necessary, but all very hard.

3 Likes

It’s really hard isn’t it. I forget myself and end up moving towards the children. Sometimes it’s hard not to! Like you said, all necessary but just need to remind ourselves.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine not being able to interact with pupils, especially the younger age group, which I used to teach. My two older grandchildren restarted school this week, and the logistics of the being taken to different entrances at the same time …luckily mum and dad available to take/collect them. They miss not being able to cycle to school, but otherwise are really happy to be back. My 2nd granddaughter started back to play school yesterday, and in the 6 months since she last went was more confident and happy to leave her mummy. We just hope that schools stay open now

2 Likes

I walked out of my box (an area taped on the floor at the front of the class) today when one of the students put their hands up. And a couple of times they have approached my desk. I think to be honest I am going to wear a visor and go closer when I need to. They are special needs and really need the support.

3 Likes

Hi @SP7 and @Nichola75 , I can really understand that you are struggling as you are not supposed to walk around the class or get near students. Do you find all the constraints mean that it is difficult to concentrate on what you are actually teaching?

I find it difficult to concentrate most of the time at the moment. Silly things like you go to pick up a phone and have to remember to wipe it first, you go to have a chat with a child and feel yourself stepping back, they hurt themselves and you have to think about how you comfort them safely. So many rules, off course needed, but really difficult to implement and hard for children to understand.

2 Likes

Hi all, hope you are okay! Just wanted to check if you know anything about current situation and shielding. I’ve been reading guidance related to my work and came across following: “Shielded patients are currently advised not to meet more than one person from outside of their own household…” dated yesterday. It has been worry to follow increasing numbers and sort of expected to hear something about shielding, but this was surprise information… Happy to hear what your views are.
Take care,
Maria

1 Like

Hi @MoMo. Where did you find that information?

1 Like

Hi @MoMo, I hadn’t heard that one. Where was this?

@Nichola75 @Erica this is Government guidance for places of worship. As I work for church, I have to keep reading various guidance’s a couple of times a week, and this one was dated 14 September 2020. It is related to people visiting places of worships whatever the religion, and certainly was a surprise to see that. It basically says that shielded patients should avoid visiting places of worship. Of course, it could be a “old” information and left there by mistake?

3 Likes

Thanks @MoMo, for clarifying where you had seen that guidance. I always await the wonderful Blood Cancer UK de-mystifying NHS and government guidance into plain English for me.

1 Like