Bone marrow biopsy after effects

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on pain after a bone marrow biopsy please? I had it two weeks ago but am still suffering with pain in the area, my lower back and my hip. There is nothing visible, so I don’t think there is any infection. Is this normal to still be in pain 2 weeks after?

3 Likes

Hi @Hels,
It’s great you’ve got in touch to ask about this. I’m sorry to hear that you’re still experiencing pain. We know that the extent of recovery from biopsy can vary from person to person. Can i ask are you able to feel any relief with mild painkillers at all?
We know that biopsies can mean a slower recovery for some as the test is quite invasive and does involve pressure onto tissue & bone & therefore bruising is deeper and not always visible.

Infection is of course a risk with a biopsy but it can be quite rare. However it’s important that you recognise any changes to your temperature both core body and also the skin around the biopsy site & report these back to your healthcare team.
Can i assume that your pain hasn’t worsened since your biopsy?
I would suggest that you monitor the site and your pain over the next week and if any changes occur or you feel you are still struggling, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with your GP or haematology team ( if applicable).

You are also very welcome to give us a call should you prefer to talk things through at any point- 0808 2080 888.

Best wishes, Lauran

4 Likes

Hey there @Hels, really sorry to read about the pain you’re suffering. I had quite a lot of deep aching pain after my bone marrow biopsy and aspiration. To me it felt like an internal bruise and, like @LauranBloodCancerUK suggested, I found an ibuprofen now and then helped reduce the pain at its initial worst.

As it healed internally I found it helpful to apply CBD lotion to where the incision was (after it had healed over), and I took CBD oil internally—CBD is great for reducing inflammation. Luxurious baths with 10 or so drops of lavender essential oil helped a little too. I wonder if it feels so sensitive due to the strangeness of being bruised in a part of your body that moves a lot? Hope it reduces soon and becomes more tolerable!

I have been taking paracetamol but it’s not really helping to be honest. I tried ibuprofen but im not really supposed to take it, it didn’t help either. I will keep an eye on things and if they don’t improve in a few weeks I’ll contact my GP. Thank you so much for your help, it’s so nice to know im not on my own with this

4 Likes

I’ll definitely look into the CBD and lavender oil. Thank you for that tip. Hopefully it will ease soon.

3 Likes

Oh @Hels @Duncan and @LauranBloodCancerUK @BloodCancerUK_Nurses a great question and I attach a link to the NHS site Medical cannabis (cannabis oil) - NHS (www.nhs.uk) and CBD oil.
Personally I always check things out with my medical team for their advice and to make sure the product is suitable and also not masking anything it shouldn’t.
Look after yourself and please do let us know how you get on.

2 Likes

Oh this is excellent, @Erica! I’m pleasantly surprised the NHS has relatively modern, non-judgemental information about CBD. I totally agree that anything we use medically needs to be checked out first with our medical teams. I should state that whenever I make my health-related proclamations on here!

However, our medical teams aren’t infallible—while my family doctor approves of me using CBD for reducing inflammation, my haematologist started spouting some nonsense about dangerous fungi in cannabis or something when he clearly misread by medical notes and assumed I smoked cannabis rather than applying CBD, which are not the same at all.

Where I live CBD oils and lotions can simply be bought at health food shops (and, separately, cannabis can be bought legally at dispensaries). Current clinical research shows promising results for CBD with conditions where inflammation is an issue, like anxiety, hence why I started using it. It’s also really great for applying externally to aches and pains from exercise or sprains. But yes, checking anything medical first is a must!

2 Likes

Please take care and keep us updated on how you are doing x

2 Likes

Thank you and yes, I will do

1 Like

Hi Hels
I have had a couple of bone marrow biopsies. I too had pain for quite a while afterwards. I just took paracetamol and it did help eventually. Even now I sometimes feel an ache or it feels sore/bruised. I hope your pain eases soon.

Yvonne xx

3 Likes

Thank you. I feel more reassured knowing this is normal for some people.
I’m sure it will ease with a bit more time.

3 Likes

Hi @Hels please do keep us posted how you are doing.
Take it steady

2 Likes

Thank you so much, yes I will do.

2 Likes

Hi @Hels

I have had a number of BMB paracetamol kept my pain at bay. Lasted a couple of days and then bruising along my hip area for a week or so

My concern is pain relief is not touching the pain and if it was me I would be reporting to my team

4 Likes