Bone marrow biopsy

I am new here. Still doing checks. My blood result is abnormal. I am going for scan and bone marrow biopsy. Can someone tell me their experiences during this diagnosis.
My blood result showed a paraprotein on my bone marrow. I have no pain or experiencing any symptom presently.

4 Likes

Hi @Valentine,
Thank you for sharing this with us & a very warm welcome to our forum. I hope you find this a really great place for support.
I am sorry to hear that you are going through a worrying time. I do hope you are coping okay?
We appreciate how difficult this time can be so please do feel free to call our helpline at any point should you wish to talk things through- 0808 2080 888.
May i ask do you have your next scan & bone marrow test scheduled in as of yet?

In case it is helpful in any way Valentine, our information webpages do talk through what to expect for some of these tests- Blood cancer tests | Blood Cancer UK.
You will no doubt have many questions now and in the near future so please do know that we are very much here for you.

Take Care, Lauran

3 Likes

Hello @Valentine
I have only had one. I think the thought and anticipation often makes it stressful and worse than it is. I felt a slight sting when the local anesthetic went in and some pushing but it’s quick and is over before you know it. Do speak with your team before as they can provide sedation if you need it - I hear many people say they find going to the dentist worse. There is no loud drilling in your head for sure.
The bruising and afterpain was a bit sore, so top up on the paracetamol.
Keep us informed.

4 Likes

Hi @Valentine I am so glad that you have found our forum, welcome.
My route to diagnosis (via a gynaecologist) is different to your investigations.
What I do relate to is your uncertainty of a diagnosis and I think that the not knowing, uncertainty and waiting which are all horrible.
Also what I find scary are tests that I have not had before.
@LauranBloodCancerUK and @Jules have given you great responses.
What I have found is that if I tell the medical people who are doing the tests of my anxiety they have all been lovely and relaxing helps.
The Blood Cancer UK website has some wellbeing and meditation techniques if that sort of thing helps you.
Look after and be kind to yourself and please let us know how you get on.

4 Likes

@Lauren: many thanks. I will be having my scan on Sunday 4/12/22 and biopsy on Tuesday 6/12/22.

2 Likes

Good Morning @Valentine,
Thanks for getting back to me. Your next appointments really aren’t far away now but i appreciate every day this will be playing on your mind. So do be kind to yourself over the next week or so.
Also do remember if you have any questions around this- our support line is always on hand to talk things through with you- 0808 2080 888.

Best Wishes, Lauran

2 Likes

Hi @Valentine
I hope all will go well with your scan and biopsy. I’ve had a few bone marrow biopsies. The best nurse told me to concentrate on counting down from ten very slowly in my head whilst keeping really still and it was all over long before I reached zero. I agree with @Jules that paracetamol helps and its probably not as bad as having dental treatment - certainly over more quickly. Then look forward to a nice cup of tea when it’s all done.
My experience of diagnosis is that if a condition is found, a treatment plan is started quite quickly. I found that once I knew what the situation was, it was easier to get my head around it whereas uncertainty can be quite exhausting.
Wishing you all the very best.

2 Likes

Hi @Valentine good luck with your scan on the 4th Dec, please do let us know how you get on.
Look after yourself

Hi Valentine

I have had 2 bone marrow tests in the past 8 weeks and I have found them both quite bearable. In my opinion they were not sore but more slightly uncomfortable.

You are aware of some pushing and pulling, you can ask for some more local anaesthetic during the procedure if you feel you need it.

Please let us know how you get on but honestly I think you will be fine , it’s always daunting awaiting these tests. Take care , will be thinking of you :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Fifimac a great big welcome and you have already shown one of the advantages of our forum by sharing your experiences.
I look forward to hearing more about you.
Look after yourself

1 Like

Hi Erica

Thank you for welcoming me into the Forum , I was recently diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia at the start of October.
I have had one round of Chemo & have now started my 2nd.

Thinking of everyone going through similar or same illness, hopefully we can all try to help & support each other via this Forum.

4 Likes

Hi @Fifimac
As others have already said- a very warm welcome to our forum. I am sorry to hear that you are currently going through treatment. I hope you are coping okay?
Your support within this space is already so valuable but please do also know that we as a support service are also very much here for you in any way we can be- Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

Take Care, Lauran

2 Likes

@Valentine Welcome to the forum, you’ve come to the right place. As others have said, it is naturally a worrying time, but I think you already made an excellent choice to discuss it here. Regarding the bone marrow biopsy, over the years, I’ve had many. It will be natural to feel a little anxious, it is mainly because you do not know what to expect. Let me reassure is that it does not take too long. You will normally have a local anaesthetic. You may or may not experience some pain, everyone is different, but as I said, it does not last too long. I’ve met some people who do not even ask for an anaesthetic (Their pain threshold must be different to mine). I would not recommend not having a local anaesthetic however. I hope it all goes well for you.

1 Like

Was yours lower back hip bone area Jules, mine was? I tried to put it off but, even a nervous wee didn’t work. It wasn’t pleasant but bearable. What was good was looking at the sample they’d taken before sending it to the lab.

1 Like

Hi
I’ve had 8 bone marrow biopsies, if you are offered gas and air (entinox) say “yes please”, I had the first six without it, bearable but much easier with it. Good luck

2 Likes

It was yes @Billy1mate . I think if you are very slim ( I’m not :crazy_face:) they sometimes will use your sternum.

I never thought to ask too look at the sample wish I had now . I do like to do things like that.

Wishing you well

1 Like

Hi Lauren

Thank you for your lovely welcome message & reply.
Has anyone heard how Valentine got on with the Bone Marrow biopsy ?
Thank you in advance :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Valentine I just wondered if you have any results yet and how you are doing with the festive season approaching?
Look after yourself

1 Like

Hi, I had my second one last week and awaiting results. There is no pain as you have a strong dose of a general anaesthetic. There is an unusual sensation before the procedure is quickly over. Nothing to worry about!
Ray

1 Like

Hello @Radius. Good to hear from you. Hope you’re doing okay. That’s great that you experienced no pain from your bone marrow biopsy. However, I have had numerous ones over the years and each one has been bearable but in no way could I say it was pain free! I was given local anaesthetic but that cannot completely numb the bone from where the samples are extracted. As I have said elsewhere, my bone marrow is fibrotic and I think that makes the procedure more challenging. I wish you well with your results. Warm wishes. Willow

1 Like