Booster Jab for Immunocompromised following Third Primary Dose

I’ve had my booster but the question is now, has the Omnicron Variant found a way around it?So far nobody seems to know.They say that they can tweek it if it has but it might take months and then they have to manufacture the vaccine and then get it all out to the injection places.

3 Likes

At least @Kevan7 the worry about the Omnicron variant is universal and affects everybody so I imagine they will act as swiftly as they can. It appears to be over things that only affect the immunosuppressed (like the third vaccine) when they seem to drag their feet

3 Likes

Hi Alice,
Many thanks for your posting. Where can I find the JCVI announcement you have made available ? I ask because my GP practice may not be au fait with this recent information and I shall want them to be prepared to offer me my 4th jab booster before Christmas.
Regards,
Yva

1 Like

Hi @Yva and welcome to the forum. It’s been so confusing hasn’t it. It’s great to have you on the forum. I look forward to hearing more about you :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Yva I am so glad that you have found us and I am sure @Alice_BloodCancerUK will get back to you, but I think if you press on the word ‘here’ where she says We’ve updated our webpage that might answer your question.
There is not much time before Christmas for surgeries get organised for 4th jabs. Our GP nurses are fully booked up already with their routine appointments and other vaccinations.
There is a lot of useful information on the Blood Cancer UK website plus details of their support line if you would like to talk to someone.
I look forward to hearing more about you, look after yourself.

1 Like

Many thanks to you both for your wecome and suggestions. Much appreciated. As is the clarity and level of detail in the information provided by Alice. However I can’t find the reference number of the JCVI’s November announcement concerning the 4th jab or Booster for the Immunocompromised. Perhaps I won’t need it and my GP’s may well be up to speed by now but as you point out they are in for a hectic few weeks.
Cheers Yva

2 Likes

Hi there
Having had my third jab, listed as a booster, I have written to both my haematology dept at Addenbrooke’s, Cambridge, and my GP practice, saying the booster should be redesignated as the third vaccine and I should be given a fourth jab ie the
Booster

2 Likes

Hi @patmroberts a good idea to put it in writing to all.
What do others think?
Look after yourself

Hi @Yva This webpage may help - JCVI advice on the UK vaccine response to the Omicron variant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
We are currently waiting for the NHS to clarify how people with blood cancer will be invited or book their booster doses. Considering the problems that have happened with the third primary dose roll-out, we are doing everything we can to get answers quickly. We will update our website and social media as soon as we know more about booking your booster.
Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Yes, many thanks, Alice.
Yva

2 Likes

My dad doesn’t use mobile technology and is also a WM lymphoma patient. He was Sent a letter from N H S with vaccination details. Not sure why as I live in same area, suffer from same condition and didn’t get a letter. Thought it might be because I have the NHS app? Maybe your gp can provide you with evidence?

2 Likes

Hi @MSullivan I just do not think the NHS is that joined up, I think it is more about age and GP or consultant based. But what do I know.
Please let us know how you get on and look after yourselves.

1 Like

Great to hear that @Alice_BloodCancerUK, lets hope that with the help of Blood Cancer UK Gov can learn from its mistakes and ensure a smooth roll out of 4th or booster vaccine. This of course will depend on the reclassification of all those boosters as third vaccines however I’m not banking on them achieving the fourth vaccine at three months after the third as there still seems to be some doubt about whether they will achieve their target of a booster for all adults by end of January - we will wait and see if we get a fourth vaccine before six months are up after our third esp if it was labelled a booster.

4 Likes

Thanks Alice. I was told it was Pfizer but not given a card. So it was 3rd primary dose

2 Likes

Whoops, hadn’t quite finished. Sorry for very long sentence!
I have my phone consultation with Adds on Tues, so will see what they have to say then.
Cheers
Pat

1 Like

My GP hub which is running booster vaccinations is allowing people to book directly if their booster is due…………but not those who have had a 3rd primary dose, they, ie me, have to wait to receive a text or letter. My dose is still recorded as a booster although I have a card with 3rd primary dose written on it. I’m not convinced I will receive my booster without me making some contacts of my own, as last time. You never know I may be surprised!!

2 Likes

Since having DLBCL and being treated with Rituximab as one of many and being informed that the effectiveness of the 1st and 2nd Covid vaccinations has been rendered ineffective what is the probability that we may be offered a 4th Covid vaccination before we get offered the booster jab.
Or are we likely to see the Antibody jab being developed by AstraZeneca being offered to us.

1 Like

I am not aware of 4 vaccinations. I have had my 3rd vaccination and hope for a booster in 6 mths @Venus.
Who knows what will happen in 6 mths time and I hope for antibody tests by then too, no matter who produces it !!!
Look after yourself.

1 Like

Hello @Venus, thank you for posting on the Forum. Can I ask whether you have had a letter or text to say that you are eligible for the 3rd primary dose COVID vaccine? If not please refer to our web pages where you can find information on how to access this here: https://bit.ly/3kjkPGC. Our vaccine efficacy pages are updated regularly so please have a read here: https://bit.ly/3ocuJLl and I would encourage to speak to your clinical team about your antibody status.
We are awaiting confirmation from the Joint Committee on Vaccines and Immunisation (JCVI) on whether people with blood cancer who have had the third dose as part of their primary vaccination will be provided a booster dose and at what interval that will be. For those who have recently had their third dose and then also have received an invitation for the booster, it has not been recommended that they have a subsequent (booster) dose at this time. I really hope this helps but do call or email our Support Services Team to discuss this or any other support needed: Blood cancer support | Blood Cancer UK. Best wishes Gemma

2 Likes

Initially when I rang my GP surgery (4th October) to enquire about a 3rd primary Covid vaccination I was told it would only be a booster but after some arguing about my status one of the senior practice GP’s said I would qualify for a 3rd vaccination and thus an appointment was booked in for 30th October. In the intervening 3 weeks I received letters from both the NHS and the GP surgery stating that persons like myself would in fact be entitled to receive a 3rd Primary Covid Jab.

Since reading that the effectiveness of the two jabs previous would have been rendered ineffective considering my treatment for DLBCL with Rituximab as one of many drugs/toxins I thus posed the question whether those in a similar position would then be offered a 4th vaccination in say 8 to 12 weeks and then a booster 6 months after that or are we likely to be offered the Antibody jab being developed by AstraZeneca.

As for the National Covid Cancer Survey and the “brick wall” I encountered - the first time I registered for the home testing kit I was told I was unsuccessful and even instructed to ring 119 (Test and Trace) they said I didn’t qualify as I didn’t work in the NHS. Well I registered again and thus wait and to see if I get the kit delivered to ascertain what my level of antibodies really are - interesting times ahead hopefully.

1 Like