Third Vaccine & Booster

Hi can anyone help .
I got my third vaccine last week .
My wife got her booster today both got pfizer
I wonder what the difference is from third dose and booster…thank you … Smidy

2 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY, the link below explains it all much better than I could. Just scroll down. Glad you got it done!

3 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY, @Nichola75 has I think given you the help you are looking for and as she says Blood Cancer UK says it far better than we ever could.
Look after yourselves.

2 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY, I’d also encourage you to read through the article @Nichola75 shared and you might also find this page useful - How to get a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.

This might be helpful:

The third dose

• The third dose is a third primary dose - part of an initial course of three vaccinations specifically for people who are immunosuppressed.
  • The third dose is either a full dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or a full dose of the Moderna vaccine.
  • The third dose is given a minimum of 8 weeks after the second dose. You do not have to wait 6 months to have it.
  • Having a third dose now means you may also be offered a booster vaccination in 6 months’ time.

The booster vaccination

• People who are vulnerable but not immunosuppressed are currently being offer a booster vaccination. The booster vaccination aims to extend the protection they’ve already gained from the first two doses.
  • The booster is either a full dose of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, or a half dose of the Moderna vaccine.
  • A booster vaccination is given a minimum of 6 months after the second dose.

Let me know if you want to talk this through further!
How have you been doing?

3 Likes

Thank you very much I understand now … I am doing fine thanks ,got my blood results today there down a bit but back again in 4 weeks .doc says my bloods are all over the place so check them again before Xmas incase he needs to do something what ever that means…but i am feeling good just very tied at times…thank you for asking and taking the time to answer my post
Smiddy

2 Likes

Make sure you take good care of yourself and let us know how you get on at your next appointment :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY please let us know how your next blood tests go and really look after yourself.

2 Likes

Hi really glad the lovely people here have given you the information you were after. There has been a great deal of confusion between the two so am delighted you have successfully had your third dose. I hope you are okay. Take care :blush:

3 Likes

How are you doing @Panda, look after yourself?

1 Like

I was invited several weeks ago to have my Booster dose of Pfizer vaccine. I have now been invited to have my third dose. Is this OK as I have already had a booster? I am very confused and need to know if it is alright to have both the booster and the third dose???

3 Likes

Hello @Dottibag. We are happy to help with your question. Can I ask which vaccine you received for your Booster dose? If you have had a Booster then you will not need to have the 3rd dose as well and it can be coded/documented as a 3rd dose in the future. The most important thing is that you’ve received a full dose vaccine which you should have done within the Booster programme unless you were given Moderna (which is given as half dose ). If you did receive Moderna please don’t worry but let us know and we can help you manage this. We are awaiting confirmation from the Joint Committee on Vaccines and Immunisation (JCVI) on whether people with blood cancer who have had the third dose as part of their primary vaccination will be provided a booster dose and at what interval that will be. I really hope this helps but do call or email our Support Services Team to discuss this or any other support needed: Blood cancer support | Blood Cancer UK. Best wishes Gemma

2 Likes

Interesting if the JCVI are havering about booster after third dose. The nurse who did my third dose (after a lot of tailchasing!) was very insistent that I should get a booster in six months time. Wonder whether Scotland is working a different scheme?
DickM.

2 Likes

Hi DickM,
Firstly can i say i very much appreciate the ‘Havering’ word! Its a right guid Scottish word.

In terms of a booster ( 4th vaccine) following on from a Third primary- essentially we first need to understand that data, research and the science behind how effective the 3rd dose has been for the immunocompromised community. It will be needed in some detail before any guidance is provided about what comes next. It is likely once this has been established, guidance on a booster will be announced.
We do hope we hear some news on this soon however.

Best Wishes, Lauran

3 Likes

Hi @Dottibag and welcome to the forum. It’s all so confusing isn’t it. You’ve come to the right place to ask questions. Look forward to hearing more about you x

1 Like

Hi and welcome @Dottibag and I am glad to see that Blood Cancer UK have responded to it.
We all share our experiences and support each other on this forum and Blood Cancer UK are also available on their support line.
Please keep posting as I really do look forward to hearing more about you.

Hi thought I’d let you know my bloods were down a bit this time…so pleased ,Doc put my tablets up by 1 and back in 4 weeks …thank you smiddy

1 Like

Thanks @SMIDDY thanks for updating us.
Glad that you were pleased with your blood results and that you are being regularly monitored.
Please keep updating us how you are and look after yourself.

1 Like

Are you feeling better since the bloods have gone down?

2 Likes

Thank you I will do ,thanks again :+1:

1 Like

To be honest I just feel the same ,tired weak legs . Itchie … But not so worried :crossed_fingers: thank you smiddy :+1:

2 Likes