Booster Jab for Immunocompromised following Third Primary Dose

Hi @Venus, very good questions and I have no idea, but if you find out let us know!!!
The main thing is to look after yourself

Hi Venus, We hope you are keeping well? It is great to hear that you have received your third vaccine and we hope that went okay.
Your questions are very important ones and right now we certainly do not have all the answer, but are working hard in the background to gain some clarity.
Our health care pages inform that ‘We are awaiting confirmation from the JCVI on whether people who have had the third dose as part of their primary vaccination will be subsequently provided a booster dose and at what interval’.
We also up to this point are waiting on guidance for approved antibody treatments & how this will be rolled out. What we do know will be updated on our health care page here- Antibody treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK

Best wishes, Lauran

1 Like

To follow on from my previous post about the National Covid Cancer Survey - the moral is if you don’t succeed first time re-register and hope to be more successful. Today I received the test kit which is one piece of good news.

As for how I am feeling after my 3rd primary dose of vaccination - rubbish! I was told about the side effects but presently full of aches and pains which are not normal for me. I’ve even now ended up with shingles which is messing me up as what I had planned in the coming days is now being put off until my health improves - how long that will be is anyone’s guess.
At least I was able to speak to a GP as well as submit some photos of my rash and I’m now on medication for the next week.

1 Like

As a person who has shingles that flares up every time I overdo it emotionally, physically medically and practically I expect you are feeling rubbish with the rash and then added to that the side effects from your 3rd vaccine as well.
Look after yourself and take care @Venus .
Please let us know how you go.

I had my third primary jab on 25th September which has been recorded as a booster. Anyone know how I book 4th there is no mention of it on his booking site only to book third.

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine I might be wrong but I believe the plan was that boosters would be offered to the relevant people no earlier than 3 mths after the 3rd vaccines.
However the Covid situation is ever changing and I think the government wants everyone to be offered a 3rd vaccine first before thinking about booster vaccines.
We await, but good question.

Hi @ilivesunshine
I am exactly the same as you including having my 3rd vaccine on same day as you and is recorded as a booster. I going to ring 119 to see how it will work but to be honest the thought of the stress to come is putting me off. Im fed up of explaining that because I have blood cancer i have 3 vaccines and then a booster. I might wait til after xmas or the new year before i start the long haul into getting my booster.

2 Likes

Please let us know if you manage to make any progress. Good luck!

1 Like

I think you are wrong

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine I might well be wrong and let’s hope it all works out smoother than the 3rd vaccine roll out.
Please let us know how you both get on @ilivesunshine and @Mandi713 .
I am sure @BloodCancerUK will let us know when they do,

Sorry @ilivesunshine I think @Erica is being realistic given the push to give every adult over the age 18 a third or booster shot and the cost of that process to the NHS in terms of other treatments, ops and tests which will have to wait I cannot see us being offered a fourth or booster vaccine until into the new year ie 3 months + for September vaccines and so on even if they accurately change all those recorded as boosters to third primary vaccines. This may not be an altogether bad thing given the duration of effectiveness of the vaccine. Hopefully we shall be “topped up” and waiting for Spring.

1 Like

1 Like

If you have had a 3rd dose of the vaccine, you can get a booster dose from 3 months after your 3rd dose. We are continuously reviewing and updating our webpage here How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK

At the moment, we’re told people with blood cancer cannot book their boosters online or attend walk-in centres, and instead have to wait for their doctor or GP to get in touch. But given the problems there have been with this previously, we’d recommend is that if you’re coming up to being three months since your third dose, it’s worth getting in touch with your hospital team (or GP if they’re responsible for your care).

2 Likes

I rang gp surgery this morning. Receptionist had no idea what I was talking about but is getting g someone to ring me. Waiting hopefully for the call!

2 Likes

We await @ilivesunshine please let us know how you get on with the call back
Look after yourself

1 Like

Yes let us know @ilivesunshine!

If you want to talk things through with us on support line please feel free to give us a call.

2 Likes

I will be due my booster after 27th December ie 12 weeks after my 3rd primary so i have copied a letter I had received confirming my October jab should be recorded as a 3rd and sent it to my GP requesting they note it their system. The letter said to show it to my GP if my 3rd had been recorded as a booster. I am not really expecting to be called for my booster before January but I thought i would do all i can to help things along.

It is frustrating when the politicians say everyone over 18 will be able to book a booster before the end of January when those who had a 3rd will not be. Feels like once again we are being forgotten about.

3 Likes

I did get a call back. I have to ring again on Friday, hopefully to book appointment for 23rd. The person who rang me back seemed a bit confused . I am not sure she understood this will be my fourth jab. I had to go through everything I had already said on my previous call I will keep you updated.

2 Likes

Agree @Chrispy with your proactive but realistic approach. i do not have any proof that my vaccine which was recorded as a booster is/has/will be, changed to be recorded as a third vaccine and I was never invited for a third vaccine but when my three months are up in mid January I shall be proactive too although I have higher hopes of Haematology than of the GP so good luck you trail blazers.

3 Likes

Same boat here. My third dose was in September so I should be due my booster but I don’t know if anyone is going to contact me because it was recorded as a booster so I’m worried.

2 Likes