3rd vaccine issues

Hi all,
I’m encountering a problem getting my 3rd dose vaccination, and I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

I’m in the immune-compromised group, and my consultant has written stating this, and specifically asking that I be re-vaccinated. However, when I roll up at my local vaccination centre, they say that I have all the right paperwork, and that they are very willing to give me the jab, but that their computer system doesn’t have a function to allow them to record third jabs, (I think it’s the National Immunisation Management System, NIMS for short). They say that a software update is imminent which will allow them to do this, and that I should “keep checking in”. However, it’s been like this for three weeks now. Has anyone else encountered a similar response?

Also, has anyone else actually managed to get a third jab? If so, how did you manage it?

I’d be very grateful if anyone can shine any light on this. I have no current immunity, and I am getting soooooooo bored with continuous shielding.
Best wishes,
Nick

3 Likes

Hi @njames879 I am still awaiting my GP getting the system up and running too.
The Blood Cancer UK website is giving us up to date information as they get it.
Please keep updating us and I know what you mean about getting sooooo bored with continuous shielding.
Look after yourself.

1 Like

Sorry you have had all that hassle Nick and thanks for posting as it updates us all as well as to how it is! I haven’t taken any action yet to get my third dose, I am the right blood cancer and treatment to have it but not heard yet from consultant, gp or nhs! - waiting for my regular consultant appointment in two weeks to see the state of play and reading your comments and problems encountered makes me think no point doing anything just now, so frustrating Nick isn’t it on something that should really be simple for a relatively small amount of people getting a third dose - i know it makes me feel I just don’t have the energy to do all that’s needed to get what you need!! And yes all it means is our shielded careful life continues whilst all life around us has returned it seems to “normal” and left us behind and forgotten! All the best Nick keep us posted

2 Likes

Hi @Jilly20 I know just what you mean about just not having the energy, which is a key symptoms of most of our conditions.
Look after yourself

1 Like

Likewise. The GP has not got any vaccines. The local vaccination centre isn’t set up to do it yet. Unable to book on line. Brick walls everywhere. I’ve had a lot of reasoning behind why the 3rd dose isn’t already in my arm but no practical solutions around it as the systems aren’t working for people in our situation. 22 days since the announcement and it is one long battle, however, boosters are already being done.

1 Like

Hi @Lababe as you can see on here you are not the only one encountering problems, hang in there and let us know if you do have any luck and I think luck is the right word to use.
Look after yourself

1 Like

I live in Wales. I contacted my Gp re the 3rd vaccine, as my antibody test, following treatment with rituximab, which finished last November, shows no antibodies
I was advised that I would receive my vaccine at a mass vaccination centre. I contacted the NHS vaccination line and was advised that they are currently vaccinating NHS and care staff, and they will contact me in due course.
I appreciate the need that NHS and care staff need to be prioritised for the booster, but I am disappointed that as part of a cohort with little or no immunity, we are not being offered our third vaccine now, as promised

2 Likes

I’m in Scotland and I have been given an appointment this week at a hub for what is described as a co- vaccination. I have no idea what that is though. It’s not organised through the g p so they can’t advise. It’s organised through the health boards I believe. I will probably wander along and try and work it out.

1 Like

Appointment now booked at a local GP hub for October. I have been assured that it is classed as the 3rd dose but will confirm that again at the time. Consultant also says letters are coming out from the hospital too. Reminding the GP practice of my immunocompromised status appears to have worked for me as they rang me to inform me and to make the above appointment.

1 Like

That’s grand. Well done you! It’s sometimes a days work getting it sorted but worth it.

1 Like

Hi @Cameo4me I am so glad that you have found us and now you know that you are not alone in your frustrations over 3rd vaccines.
The Blood Cancer UK website is giving us up to date information but unfortunately practically the system is slow to get off the ground.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi @Skyesue great to hear from you and please do let us know how you get on when you wander along to you hub in Scotland.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

Oh @Lababe we look forward to hearing how you get on, October is only just around the corner now.

Like you I completed chemo (with rituximab) last November and have no antibodies to the vaccine. I’m hoping that there has been some T cell response but am basically still shielding anyway. My GP has no idea when they will be ready to give the 3rd dose. Whilst very frustrating I’m trying to be rational and work on the basis that the longer the gap after chemo the better the chance of the 3rd dose actually working. Of all the lessons learned from having lymphoma I think patience has been the greatest!

1 Like

I’m very concerned re this 3rd primary dose as also after chemotherapy with Rituximab I have “no antibodies detected” I had emails from my GP practice saying they had no information on 3rd dose apart from the initial press release which we all know about. On 17 September I learned of NHS letter of 2nd September C1399, from Blood CancerUK, to all practices giving full implementation instructions which I emailed to my practice. On 20 September practice manager replied saying I had been put on list for vaccine. I replied asking for confirmation that this was for the third vaccine and not the booster. No reply received so feel pretty sure I’ve just been listed for the booster and if one has the booster jab it’s no longer possible to get the 3rd primary according to comments on the other Blood Cancer forum for the third vaccination. Is it possible to go to the vaccination dosing centre and get a 3rd dose presenting C1399 and Blood Cancer letter? Forum member waggy post no.126 on “third vaccination” says he presented evidence that he was eligible and received the jab.

1 Like

Hi @MountainGirl I like your thinking and yes, I agree the biggest lesson I have learnt is to be a patient patient and it is not one of my virtues !!
Look after yourself and please let us know if you hear anything.

Hi @Addax it is so, so confusing and as you have read even the NHS appears confused and there is a discrepancy depending on your location and local NHS provider.
Please keep us updated.

I do think that there is a systems issue here. As I understand it, the IT geeks have not updated the system to allow the NHS staff to enter the details of a third primary vaccination. So, at the moment, if they go on the system, all the vaccination centre staff and the GP’s see is the capability to enter first and second primary vaccinations and the booster shot. Some staff don’t know about the third primary dose and assume that we are asking for a booster shot. Some do know about it, but are very reluctant to give the shot without a means of recording it. That’s understandable, because if there turns out to be a problem with a particular vaccine batch, they want to be able to quickly trace everyone who has had that batch.

I’ve been assured that this functionality is going to be available very soon, but I can’t get any firm information as to the actual upgrade date. If anyone out there has actually had the third primary dose, (not the booster). Could they message me, as it could be a geographical rollout. I’ll post any information (anonymised if requested) on this forum.

Best wishes,
Nick

2 Likes

Hi Tee Pee,

For what it’s worth, and maybe to help you judge the timing of the third dose……

I had R-CHOP chemo followed by two years of maintenance Rituximab. This completed in March 2020. I had my first jab in January 21 and my second in April 21. A spike protein test a couple of months later showed no detectable antibodies, and a T-Cell test, (see www.tspotcovid.com) showed no T-Cell response either. It would appear from a couple of posts in this thread that Rituximab, despite all its huge benefits, really doesn’t play nicely with Covid vaccines, or at least with the Pfizer vaccine, which is the one I had.

So, it’s now 18 months since my last Rituximab, and I’m really hoping that it’s drained out of my system so that a third jab will give me some protection.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Nick

2 Likes

Thanks @njames879 for all your information. We await.
Look after yourself.