Covid vaccination in 2023

Hi All, I wonder if anyone knows what the vaccination programme is for CEV people in 2023. I have had 6 in total and had the last one in October. Does anyone know whether we will be offered a 7th?
Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum.

3 Likes

Morning @Strad.
I’m the sane as you - had 6 but not sure if I’ll be offered another. @BloodCancerUK_Nurses, do you know more?
I hope you are keeping well?

2 Likes

Hi @Strad,
Thank you for your question. I hope you’re keeping okay?
It’s totally understandable you have questions around this. We know this will be a key question for many people who received their last vaccine dose around the start of the last booster roll-out in September.

At the moment, the JCVI haven’t announced their guidance around this yet, so at the moment, 7th doses are not available and you are up-to-date with covid vaccines if you have had your autumn booster.
However, please be assured that this is something we’re monitoring closely, and when we hear more information, we will be sure to update the blood cancer community on our social media channels and our covid vaccine webpage.

Please also know if you have other queries please don’t hesitate to contact our support line at anytime- 0808 2080 888.

Take Care, Lauran

7 Likes

Yes I’ve seen some people on other forums booking in for a 7th vaccine as the NHS England online system appears to allow for this as long as 3 months has passed since previous jab, and it’s then just pot luck whether the vaccinator notices its 7th jab or not. Obviously not what’s intended and as you say, the JCVI haven’t yet advised on if and when the next round of boosters should be done and what vaccine type should be used for it. Think NHS England need to get some messaging out soon though as it’s an issue that’s top of mind for a lot of CEV people (although also recognise it will be yet one more strain on an overloaded NHS to roll it out ….). Definitely keen to know myself when I’ll be able to get a spring booster .

5 Likes

Thankyou Nichola75. Apart from a couple of bouts of bronchitis I’m doing well. It seems everyone I meet has either got, or has had, a chest infection. I do hope you are well.

2 Likes

Thank you Lauren. That is very helpful and I’m sure there are many others who will be grateful for any further information about vaccines this year. I asked my Consultant about ?receiving antivirals in the event that I test positive for Covid and he said the guidance changes so I’ll keep a lookout for that too. I hope you are well.

3 Likes

Hi @Strad,
If you ever need any support with anything covid related we do have lots of information on our webpages which talks through how you can access antiviral treatments across nations should you ever test positive- Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.

Our webpage offers this simple info graph which can be helpful, but do also know our helpline is always here should you ever have any concerns around testing positive- 0808 2080 888.

Best Wishes, Lauran

4 Likes

Hi, l am new to the forum, l have had smouldering myeloma since October 2019.
I have just had my 7th vacination. NHS website let me book my appointment and l went with a screenshot on my phone of the recommendations of the JCVI and the pharmacist reading my history was happy to give me the 7th jab. This was four months after the last.
I have had excellent service during covid having had covid twice and had the anti viral drugs twice in the last 6 month’s.
Its worth a try to get your jab, for those of us whose antibodies aren’t great.

4 Likes

Hi @Jane63 a great big welcome to our forum and thanks for showing one of the values of it by sharing your experiences.
You certainly have had excellent NHS service during Covid times.
I look forward to hearing more about you, look after yourself

1 Like

Hi, I was wondering if there has been any official announcement about a 2023 Spring Booster Campaign and who is entitled.

Helen

1 Like

I will copy this to @BloodCancerUK for you, I am sure they will let us know when there is any updated information.

1 Like

Hi @helenfwallace, thank you for your question, and I do hope you’re doing okay. In case it’s helpful at all, I’ve pasted the most recent information we have on the campaign from our website, below ( How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK )

"Spring and Autumn boosters in 2023

On 25 January 2023, the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) advised the UK government that:

• people who are immunosuppressed (including people with blood cancer) should have a booster vaccine in Spring 2023
  • people who are immunosuppressed (including people with blood cancer), AND other people who are high risk, should have a booster vaccine in Autumn 2023

Following this advice, we expect the UK government and the NHS to roll out Spring and Autumn boosters in 2023. It’s not possible to book one yet, but as soon as you can, we will update this web page with links for all four nations of the UK."

We will indeed update our channels when we receive any further information. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you wish to talk anything through at all (0808 2080 888).

Best wishes,
Tanya.

3 Likes

Hi @TanyaBloodCancerUK

Thank you for this.
I have MGUS. Sometimes those with MGUS are included and other times not.
Best wishes

Helen

2 Likes

Thank you Tanya. This is really helpful. I will keep looking out for notification. Very best wishes.

1 Like

Thank you Tanya for this information, cannot wait for Spring.

1 Like