Concerned about the possibility of having blood cancer?

PLEASE DELETE if this is not appropriate to post here :slight_smile:
23M, 5’10", 70kg.Over the last 4-6 weeks, I’ve experienced an array of peculiar symptoms. The most prominent among these is unexplained bruising all over my body. My friend first commented oh my god where did you get those from!! And I had these two bruises the size of baseballs on my legs that were black and blue, no clue where they came from (about 6 weeks ago). Since, I’ve found massive bruises between my thighs, on the back of my legs, on my hands, the backs of my arms, my chest, and for 90% of these, I cannot recall any incident that might have caused them. I also developed these welts on my neck that looked like blisters with a small red rash around them which took about 10 days to subside.

Secondly, my appetite has drastically reduced, to the point where I practically have to force myself to eat. I lead an active lifestyle, exercising intensively 5-6 times a week, and maintain a balanced diet. It’s highly uncharacteristic for me to not want to eat. I have lost a bit of weight. Additionally, I’ve found myself short of breath, not only during workouts but also during simple daily tasks like walking around the house.

I’ve also been experiencing unusual night sweats. Over the past two weeks, I’ve woken up multiple times to find my sheets (especially around the top half of my body and head area) thoroughly soaked through. to the point where I will need to get up and lay a towel down, or move to the other side of my bed because its so wet. I sleep in cool temperatures with my fan and airconditioning on so this never happens. Last week I had persistent headaches which I can pinpoint around the temple areas. These still come and go regularly.

I’ve been feeling pain on the left side of my body, particularly just below/ to the side of my pectoral muscle. This pain radiates around that side and extends down the ribs a bit. It’s almost always there, especially pronounced when I lie down or sit.

I’ve also been extremely fatigued. While I do take a few medications that can make me tired (anti-epileptic meds), it’s uncharacteristic for me to need afternoon rests and naps as frequently as I’ve been taking them lately. I genuinely have no energy. I get some aching pains and tingling sensations in my legs as well, also aching in my lower back occasionally.

I have a BCG Vaccine scar (completely healed) from when I was an infant on my left shoulder that randomly became inflamed and purple out of nowhere about a week ago after 20 years as well. So random, even the GP is confused.

About a week ago, I had some blood work done. Everything came back normal except for the low lymphocyte count. My primary care physician is concerned because they find this combination of symptoms to be unusual, we are not sure where to go from here.
Should I just monitor myself over the next couple of months? Does this sound anything like what you displayed?

Can your blood results be normal ‘early on’/in general?

My cousin died of Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) at 32 and cancer is very prominent in my family, so it is something that is in the back of my family and I’s minds right now unfortunately.

I also do not currently have any viral/bacterial infections and do not have covid.

Has anyone experienced a similar set of symptoms and, if so, what were you diagnosed with?

3 Likes

Hi @hadleigh00

First of all, welcome to the forum, although I’m sorry symptoms have led you here. You must be feeling very worried and confused.

You’re right to highlight fatigue, breathlessness, bruising, weight loss, headaches and night sweats as symptoms which are cause for concern. I must stress I’m not a doctor, but I am an Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) patient familiar now with some blood cancer symptoms.Obviously, several things could cause these symptoms, but they are sometimes signs of something more serious, like a blood cancer.

My advice would be to go back to your GP as soon as possible and say you are concerned that these symptoms are the same as the symptoms for a blood cancer, and that you have a family history of blood cancer. I’m not saying you have a blood cancer - it could well be something else - but it’s so important to get this checked out immediately, because acute blood cancers can progress quickly.

If for some reason you cannot see your GP, I should go to an Urgent Care or A and E dept, and tell them what you have told us.

I hope this doesn’t alarm you. It is always wise to get unusual symptoms checked out straight away, and then doubly checked out.

Please let us know how you get on.

Very best wishes.

2 Likes

@hadleigh00, you could also ring the Blood Cancer UK Helpline on 0808 2080 888, to talk to one of the experts here, for further advice.

2 Likes

Hi @hadleigh00 so sorry to hear you’re experiencing these symptoms and to hear of the loss of your cousin from Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML).
We would totally agree with @Fullofbeans and encourage you to be persistent with your medical team in finding out the cause for these symptoms - you could ask them if they will consider ordering a repeat blood test for you in a few weeks if they haven’t already booked one in for you.

You may find this signs and symptoms page useful in your conversations with your GP. Creating a symptom diary so that there is a timeline can also be helpful for GPs in understanding what next steps might need to be taken.
This webpage talks through a list of questions which some people find useful to ask their healthcare teams - Blood cancer symptoms and signs | Blood Cancer UK.

• I’m worried about blood cancer – is that something you can rule out?
  • Do I need a blood test?
  • Do I need a lymph node biopsy?
  • Do I need any scans?
  • Do you need to take a urine sample?
  • As my symptoms might be blood cancer, can I be referred for tests on the two-week suspected cancer pathway?

We have information about the types of blood tests used to confirm or rule out blood cancer, here - Blood cancer tests | Blood Cancer UK so you may want to use this in your conversations with your GP.

If you want to talk anything through, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 0808 2080 888.
Alice

1 Like

Hi @hadleigh00 and welcome to the forum. I can only reiterate what other members have told you so far. Definitely go back to your GP and get things checked out and definitely give the support line a ring to talk things through.
Please keep us updated on how you are doing x

1 Like

Hi @hadleigh00 a great big welcome to our forum, it sounds very naturally a very anxious time for you.
Yes, as others have said go back to your primary physician.
They need to know the combination of symptoms you have and their severity and ask them to rule out a blood cancer as you have family history of Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML)
We are very complex beings as you have demonstrated with other conditions and medications.
Your symptoms might not be blood cancer at all, but you probably just want a diagnosis so you know what you have got and what can be done about it.
@Alice_BloodCancerUK has given you great questions to ask.
Others have given you great advice.
Really look after and be kind to yourself and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Severe and unexplained bruising was one of the symptoms my wife had before she was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). I myself haven’t had any problems with bruising but I’m not sure if that is one of the symptoms of Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).

2 Likes

Hi @MikeW I believe it is quite well documented that bruising is a symptom of Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and you have given a good example that we are all diagnosed as individual holistic beings whether or not we have all the text book symptoms.
Look after yourselves

2 Likes