Extremely painful blood test!

Hi again everyone!
So this morning I had my repeat blood test to check if my WBC and HG are still elevated after it was noticed on my routine blood test for Homogyzous familia hyperlipidima.

Soooooo…nothing unusal…I have my bloods done 6 weekly, never a problem.

But this morning, as soon as the needle went in it was agony, I could feel every bit of it, 4 bottles later and somehow not throwing up I managed to say “sorry im not feeling too good” I promptly passed out in the chair and came round sweating and very confused.

My question is do you think this may have just been an issue with how it was done or something more sinister, im.getting worried that its because theres something not right with my blood at the moment that made it so painful.

Im now terrified to ever have another blood test, but il need another one again in 4 weeks for my existing medical conditions

My consultant says that if the levels are still high il be refferred for more checks on my blood.

Sorry for waffling on but im having a bit of a panic again

Thanks for reading and any advice

Xx

2 Likes

Hi @Vanesat . That sounds like a horrible experience and I understand how it will make you anxious about your next blood test. We’re you able to talk to your team about the pain?

1 Like

The nurse wasnt really concerned, just asked " was it all down your arm or just at point of entry"
I think my arm was slightly bent whilst she was doing it which may have contributed to the level of pain, im just worried that it could also be because of my elevated WBC, so now im fearing the worst again, which is probably silly, I just cant understand why it hurt that much when its normally a breeze!

2 Likes

Hi @Vanesat, what a scary experience and perhaps one to tell and ask your medical team about.
I do however know that horrible feeling and coming over hot and cold before I passed out in the car coming out of the hospital car park after an unconnected gynae op way in the past. Luckily my husband was driving, but it gave him a bit of a shock !!!
I am not medically trained but I am not aware of it being anything more sinister.
I can understand you feeling scared about future blood tests but that might mean you tense up so it might be worth telling the people taking the blood tests of your feelings.
Take care and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi @Vanesat the others have rightly advised you to talk to your team. It must have been a dreadful experience. I wouldn’t automatically assume the worst but I do hope for a positive outcome for you.

2 Likes

Hi, I am so.eone that normally takes blood. Next time you have your blood test ask to lay down while they do it.

2 Likes

@Newgirl, a good handy hint there.
Can anyone else help with ideas to prevent or alleviate having a painful blood test?

1 Like