Feeling anxious

I am a bit worried going on holidy to tenerife on sunday .first holiday since i was diagnosed (Et) hope all goes well …not sure now if i am doing the right thing …going with family. So fingers crossed. Smiddy :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Hi@SMIDDY,I think I know how you are feeling as were planning a visit in UK to see our UK family in England havent ventured far from home for 2,1/2 years ,we live very rural and I am not immunocompressed,ive got MGUS ,also that happened 2020 , but I have other health issues so i wouldnt want covid .I think we have to go for it ,be careful ,usual precautions and be glad we did.I really hope that you have a fab holiday and also someone else as nervous as me smile :blush: .You would
qualify for antivirals ?

4 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY like most things post Pandemic, once you’ve done something again for the first time it feel better and less stressful and you’ll get used to some sort of normal again. Don’t be afraid to enjoy yourself, you’ll feel a lot better once you’re on your way.

5 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY, I do hope you’re doing okay ahead of your holiday. It’s very understandable to wonder about this and to be feeling anxious- no doubt that the topic of travelling with a blood cancer diagnosis, particularly in times of covid, can be a tricky one for many people.

In case it’s helpful to you, there are some resources available to help you ahead of your trip. We have some information on travelling with a blood cancer diagnosis on our web page here Blood cancer and travel: your guide | Blood Cancer UK, and also here from our colleagues at Macmillan Travel and cancer - insurance, vaccinations, flying - Macmillan Cancer Support. Our webpages about covid antibody and antiviral treatments include a section titled ‘what if I want to travel or go on holiday?’, in case that’s useful.

Have you managed to speak with your haematology team, as they may be able to offer you some advice and help you to feel a bit more confident before you go? If it’d be helpful or reassuring for you to talk things through with us at all, you’d be very welcome to call our Support Team on 0808 2080 888, and we can go through things with you. I appreciate it can be anxiety-provoking, but I do hope you’re able to enjoy yourself. Best wishes, Tanya.

6 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY, I can imagine that you are feeling a bit worried about going to Tenerife on Sunday.
We cannot tell you what to do, but I have decided as @Bannanacake and @Franko sort of say to go for it, but taking reasonable precautions, I cannot control what others do.
I also feel if I do not go out in the summer that I will go into another winter where I have not built up any natural immunity to the world
It does feel better each time I do it, but the world appears to have forgotten Covid exists.
Being with family helps especially if they know my dilemmas and fears.
Fingers and toes crossed for you and enjoy.
Please let us know how you get on

4 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY

I know exactly how you feel. Me and my family are off to Tenerife in a few weeks too, and it will be my first holiday since leukaemia, a Stem cell transplant and the pandemic. I’m nervous about covid at the airport and on the plane (I’ll wear a whole packet of masks :smile:) and I’m nervous about protecting my skin adequately, because I’m more prone to skin cancer now. I’ve bought about 12 bottles of Factor 50, a UV rash vest, and a hat the size of a tractor wheel. Which I have realised I won’t need if I’m under a parasol, as is my plan!

But do you know what? This holiday I DON’T give a hoot about my no longer perfectly flat tummy in a bikini; or whether people will laugh at me when I give surfing a go; or how much I eat for lunch before hitting the beach again, or how I will look in the inevitable photos, or if my son finds me embarrassing when I capsize his lilo or give him a big, sloppy kiss. This holiday is for living it up, because I am ALIVE, and I very nearly wasn’t, and I just can’t wait to feel the sand between my toes, and to dive into that warm, clear water to feel cleansed, vital and full of pure happiness!

So athough you and I and many on this forum have got some genuinely serious concerns about resuming normal activities - at least this is a fab normal activity! Beats doing a Tesco shop. My plan is to take the precautions I can, and to try not to worry once I’ve done that. We’ll be outside mostly, which is safer, and the fresh air, exercise, fun, laughter and warmth will probably be a greater tonic than covid is a threat.

I really do hope you have a fabulous time,

All the best.

8 Likes

Thanks @Fullofbeans I agree, the one good thing that has come out of my diagnosis is that I also don’t care what other people think, it is so liberating.
I want to hear all about your Tenerife holiday @Fullofbeans , enjoy

3 Likes

It’s amazingly liberating, isnt it? I feel I can actually just be me. Thanks, @Erica. Xx

3 Likes

I’m going in a few weeks - feeling just as anxious as you but my daughters are so excited. I suppose it’s a little easier now I’ve had covid. You can still be careful. I think the plane is the main thing for me but I’m keeping my mask on.
Does your family understand your anxiety. Sometimes it’s just good to say it.
@TanyaBloodCancerUK advice and info is really helpful. Please keep us updated on how the holiday goes X

3 Likes

Yes my family are good i dident say anything…my wife guessed… the flight is a concern for me too but hopefully when on my way my grandkids will keep me occupied…also worried i dont have the
Energy…thank you Smiddy x

3 Likes

You have a great attitude… thank you …you have a great time to :sun_with_face::+1:

3 Likes

Thank you for your reassurance… fingers crossed all goes well … its great to here how outher people feel lets you know your not the only one
Smiddy

3 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY please let us know how you get on and how your energy levels hold up
Be kind to yourself and have a rest if you need to

1 Like

Your family sound wonderful and will take good care of you! I hope you have a wonderful time. Please let us know how it goes?

2 Likes

What a positive attitude Fullofbeans enjoy your holiday life is for living :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you, @Elamy - I cant wait!

1 Like

How did you get on with travel insurance? Any recommendations?

3 Likes

Hi @Lynne57 great to hear from you again.
Travel tips - do you have some to share?
I hope this helps.
Please tell us more?
Look after yourself

1 Like

Tried to get an idea of cost but wouldn’t quote me because I hadn’t booked anything! So you have to book and Hope you can afford the insurance?! I hindsight I wonder if I could say yes booked when not actually? So looking for any info from anyone.

1 Like

StaySure and Insure With seem to be quite popular. I used StaySure. All depends on diagnosis, time since last treatment and other questions. Both have similar questionnaires. Think you can get a quote on line. Hope you are doing ok? :blush:

1 Like