Feeling very low

I was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia in July this year. I’ve had the treatment and will now continue on my TKIs medication and I’m definitely feeling much better then I was.
I’ve been told it’s rare for someone my age (37) to have this type of leukaemia and I’m suffering with a few things that I’d love to talk with someone who’s the same age as me or maybe you’ve had it for a while and can offer some advice. I’m a personal trainer for work and my joins have really been affected. Getting down to the floor seems a mission and my keens are badly affected! I’ve spoke to medical professionals and they all say this is normal for my diagnosis. I’m feeling really down about my cancer at the moment. When I was first diagnosed I was positive that I would beat it with positivity and it wouldn’t change my life but recently I’ve had to notice how much it’s affecting me and my mobility. I have suffered with depression in the past and always used exercise to keep me happy. I know I can continue this and love my job but I think it’s just dawned on me that I will need to change the way I do things now.
If anyone has any advise I’d be so grateful or if you have the same diagnosis I’d really like to hear how you are coping?
Thank you

4 Likes

A very Warm Welcome to the forum Helen.
So glad you have found it.

I am a bit older than yourself I was diagnosed at 47 and was a regular runner so I found it difficult too when my life was turned upside down. But I found other experiences through yoga and this has been beneficial and I have really got the yoga bug from yoga on the beach throughout the summer to a yoga retreat . So I am sure you will find your niche.I am sure someone on the forum will have something to share too.

I also took up knitting :yarn: Tom Daley be scared be very scared ! ( not for the swimming mind)

But don’t forget if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm, but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message and they say they will get back to you within one working day.

Look forward to hearing from you on the forum Helen.
Jules

4 Likes

Hi @HelenRose another great big welcome and as @Jules says it is great you have found us.
I was diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), at the age of 53 yrs, 18 yrs ago.
Oh, I remember the struggle to get down on the floor and even worse trying to get up again!!!
I have to admit pre diagnosis apart from a typical work/looking after a son and his social life/running a house etc. lifestyle I never did any exercise.
Today I am an avid daily walker and a Pilates bunny.
Pre Covid I did daily pilates classes and dance classes.
I also have a curvature of the spine, osteoporosis, and have fractured and compressed vertebrae from a few years back.
So over the last 18 yrs I have built my fitness up from nil to walking 10 mls yesterday.
Yes I manage my fatigue daily but also have a good social life.
Perhaps it is early days for you, you and your body have been through a lot medically, emotionally and practically in the last 5 mths.
Be ever so kind to yourself and check all symptoms out with your medical team.
Slow and steady wins the race and please keep posting we are here for you.

3 Likes

Hi Helen…a tough time for yourself

My condition does not impact me as much as yours but the main thing i did was to try and do to much…the same things as i did before.
Its early days but you will get used to the fact you just wont/cant do that anymore.

You are obviously a fit lady so doing a bit less is not going to make you unfit.

I hope you find that level that suits you…i walk a lot rather than hard Physical exercise.

It will come naturally to you …you will find your happy level as time goes on.

Wishing you all the best…Lee

4 Likes

Hi and a warm welcome. Your fitness level going into this must be amazing. I expect you’d look at Tai Chi and QiGong and think them tame. However, I find both very helpful in multiple ways. Some of the benefits really surprised me - for example I’d never thought my breathing wasn’t good but after just 3 weeks somehow the way I breathe seemed so much improved. There is a shortage of teachers here. I wonder whether that is generally true? Made me think that this could benefit you but also be added to your repertoire of teaching and through you benefit others? I think doing something new not just being aware of what we used to be able to do and now can’t is a great help. My other salvation is quilting. Having something to concentrate on which is creative seems to give my brain a rest from thinking about any worries. I bought an expensive quilting machine during lockdown 10 years after my 10 year diagnosis/prognosis which seemed slightly foolhardy but I am so glad - one of my best ever decisions. I know early stages after diagnosis are difficult but since mine I’ve seen those thrown into a panic by diseases that progress more quickly (and their loved ones reactions to that) and having time to think about my life and understand more through groups like this might turn out to be an advantage over those situations. My joints seem to be worse in damp weather so though there are worse days there are easier ones, too.

1 Like

Hi @HelenRose Hi @HelenRose I have been thinking of you, especially as I am going to Pilates this morning. and just wondered how you are feeling and doing at the moment.
The Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you if you would like to talk to someone.
Take lots of special care of yourself and be very kind to yourself.

Hi @HelenRose

Bit of a late reply but I was looking through the forum for information, advice etc and found your post.
I was also recently diagnosed with CML (last week) and am also 37 so if you need someone to talk to who is the same age then let me know. I’m certainly not as fit as you but I had put down the aches in my legs and knees down to playing to much badminton but it certainly seems that it might be something to do with CML.
I don’t really have any advice at this stage for you being so recently diagnosed, but it might be helpful for both of us to compare notes to an extent being similar ages as treatment goes on?

anyway hope your doing well and dont feel obliged to reply etc,

Andy

1 Like