Immunity

I am uncertain where I am on the immunity scale.
I had my 2 doses before diagnosis, then my 3rd dose 1 week before starting chemo.
I am booked to have my 4th dose around 6 weeks after completing my 6 cycles.
Questions, are the 3 previous doses prior to chemo negated.
Is the 4th Dose actually a 4th Dose or is it like starting from the beginning.
How long, in general, does it take for immunity to return and how do I know when I am back to normal?

1 Like

Hi @KeithH welcome to our forum and Covid really has made things so much more complicated and uncertain for you.
It also quite naturally raises your anxiety levels.
Perhaps the questions you raise about your vaccines are best asked to someone on your medical team who knows your complete medical history.
I have not bothered to get my antibodies tested in any form because numbers of antibodies perhaps does not equate to effectiveness and what is normal etc.
I have found this forum very supportive and so is the Blood Cancer UK support line.
I look forward to hearing more about you.
Look after yourself and please keep posting

Hi @KeithH , I have just had my 4th dose . Chemo doesn’t wipe out earlier doses and it is not a restart .

It is only if you are having stem cell and the treatment that goes with that which wipes out all immunisations from childhood upwards and they will need to be given again including any Covid vaccination .

Hope this is helpful but also double check with your lead nurse .

2 Likes

Hello there @KeithH, thank you so much for posting.
Can I ask what your Blood Cancer diagnosis is and what type of treatment you had?
The immunity gained from a vaccine is generally present about 14 days after the vaccine is given. Vaccines can be given before, during or after treatment. Having a vaccination before treatment gives a better chance of protection. It is very rare that you would start from the beginning and only your Treatment Team could recommend that and it is generally only done after a Bone Marrow Transplant as part of a general re-vaccination programme.
I terms of returning to normal that really depends on your Blood Cancer type, remission status and blood count levels (in particular the White Blood Cells). Again, your treatment team can help you with this when you next speak to them as they will have your blood counts in front of them and it is a really important question to ask.
If you do want to talk through this further, just let me know: Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK
Kind regards
Gemma

2 Likes

Good afternoon, really appreciate your reply.
My diagnosis was Diffuse Large Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1A (right tonsil, removed). I have had 4 R-CHOP cycles followed by 2 Rituximab cycles, the last one 5 weeks ago.
As initially posted I had 2 vaccinations prior to diagnosis and a 3rd vaccination 1 week before I started Chemotherapy. My GP has been in touch to tell me that I should have the 4th vaccination which I have booked and which will be 6 weeks after the last cycle.
After removal of the tonsil (which found the lymphoma) and a following CT scan, there was nothing of concern found. However, I have another scan in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Good afternoon, really appreciate your reply.
My diagnosis was Diffuse Large Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1A (right tonsil, removed). I have had 4 R-CHOP cycles followed by 2 Rituximab cycles, the last one 5 weeks ago.
As initially posted I had 2 vaccinations prior to diagnosis and a 3rd vaccination 1 week before I started Chemotherapy. My GP has been in touch to tell me that I should have the 4th vaccination which I have booked and which will be 6 weeks after the last cycle.
After removal of the tonsil (which found the lymphoma) and a following CT scan, there was nothing of concern found. However, I have another scan in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Hello @KeithH and apologies for the delay in replying. Your next vaccination being 6 weeks after your last cycle of chemotherapy seems fair and your blood counts should be regenerated by that point. Then of course you can get your 5th vaccine (second booster) 3 months after that.
Wishing you all the best for the next scan.
Kind regards
Gemma

2 Likes

Just a quick note in response for best wishes for next scan.
Physical examination and Scan results have suggested that I am now in “complete metabolic remission”
Thank you for your help.
Keith

2 Likes

Dear @KeithH,
That has made my Friday. Fabtastic news and it was so kind of you to let me know.
Please have a great weekend and take good care,
Gemma

1 Like

Wonderful news @KeithH :blush:

2 Likes

Brilliant news @KeithH yes, you have made my weekend too.
Thanks for letting us know and look after yourself.

1 Like