Is the covid vaccine mentioned at your routine appointments? Let us know!

We want to hear from the blood cancer community about whether Covid vaccines are being mentioned at appointments.

Is Covid vaccination a topic that’s been raised by those involved in your care? Let us know below :point_down:

4 Likes

Hi@Alice_BloodCancerUK
I had a non blood appointment with the Practice Nurse yesterday and was asked if I had had my booster,which I had locally in the Community early October. My It was arranged by NHS,had about 4 weeks notice so that was very good and well organized.

3 Likes

Thank you @Bannanacake that’s useful to know!

3 Likes

@Alice_BloodCancerUK yes it’s been mentioned by my GP on a telephone review and 3 locum consultants over the last 4 appointments

4 Likes

Ive been getting regular text messages saying I’m legible and slots are available.

Both GP and Haemotologist have asked but this tends to be when any symptoms that I’m feeling are discussed

4 Likes

Dear Alice,
My consultant normally asks me about the flu jab but this year he didn’t and he didn’t ask about the Covid jab either. Thankfully I was well-informed by information on this forum and secured my Covid booster as soon as bookings were open. My GP surgery sent out notification about the flu jabs so I have had both done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for reminding me @Rammie18, yes, @Alice_BloodCancerUK I got regular texts from my surgery and NHS telling me about my flu vaccine and Covid booster vaccine.
I actually popped into my surgery a couple of times and asked about availability of the Covid booster and the receptionist gave me their up-to-date knowledge and advice.

3 Likes

Yes, my consultant mentioned covid/flu jabs last time we spoke, and I’ve had texts from the NHS and my surgery too. If I were forgetful, I wouldn’t have forgotten! They’ve done a good job.

3 Likes

Hi @Alice_BloodCancerUK.
My consultant always asks if I’m up to date with vaccinations when I have appointments :blush:

3 Likes

Yes my consultant always asks me if I’ve had my latest Covid jab done

3 Likes

Yes i was asked at my regular check up if i had had my covid and flu jabs. They do research so have checked anti body levels in the past too. nothing much after 2 jabs but loads after 4 so she told me i am not at high risk from covid.

2 Likes

Hi, my experience seems very different from those above.
GP refused to discuss Covid vaccine. Neither was it discussed at my last Haematology appointment, which was in September. However, I booked a Covid vaccine in October on the nhs booking system and had it.

I have had several face to face GP appointments and noone even asked about the flu vaccine either. What a wasted opportunity…

I am quite pro-active with flu and covid vaccines and dont wait for an invite.
Helen

2 Likes

Hi Alice

I’m due to see my consultant tomorrow so will let you know if it’s mentioned. Hope your well :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Never been mentioned at my oncology appointments at the Royal Marsden. I am up to date.

2 Likes

Ive had a number of appts and its not been mentioned and as ive sufferred servere anxiety since i sufferred a bleed on the brain about 20 months ago that was a few weeks after an astrazenica jab for covid. Ive tried hard to overcome it but havent been able to . Ive shielded for most of the time as im also caring for an elderly frail parent who depends on me . I have no help and its tough . Im.not anti vax at all im.just way too scared

3 Likes

Covid is never talked about at my appointments. In fairness I’ve found that I get contacted to prompt me to book a jab when the next one is due but nobody ever discusses it with me.

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63 I have just responded to your other post, so I do not want to repeat myself.
Do you think you might like some help with your anxiety now and make sure you tell you say exactly how tough it is for you and that you have no help?
Perhaps your GP would be your starting point to see what is available.
I have found that counselling really helped me, although it is not for everyone.
Also tell your GP your fears about getting vaccinated, it is up to you, of course, but the vaccines being used now are probably updated to cover the new Covid variants since your original ones.
It must be horrible feeling so scared all the time, take lots of special care of yourselves.
Please keep posting and don’t forget the Blood Cancer UK support line is there if you would like to talk to someone.

1 Like

Covid vaccinations have not been brought up by consultants during my 4 monthly phone consultations although I have spoken about them. 4 days after my 4th Pfizer vaccination in January I was woken up at night by tremendous thump in my chest as if my heart had stopped and restarted again. This was followed by palpitations which I had for around 3 weeks on and off. I reported to my surgery and they told me via text to get an ECG if symptoms carried on for a month. GP Doctor’s text also said she believed that my heart symptoms were an effect of the vaccine. My heart symptoms disappeared after 3 weeks although I did have an ECG to check. On the positive side my first 3 vaccinations produced no detectable antibodies but the 4th dose recorded after test showed 144, very low of course, but better than zero. However the heart effect has put me off the Spring and Autumn boosters as my feeling for myself is that the danger of myocarditis from the vaccine is greater than getting Covid. It may be a rare side effect but not in my case! I did catch Covid in May and was able to get antibody tablets. Uncertain whether they would be available to me again. So in conclusion it’s caused a great amount of worry whether I should or not have the vaccine. Regards Addax

2 Likes

In my last post I meant to say I received the antiviral molnupiravir not antibodies after catching Covid!

Hi @Addax it sounds as if you had a scary time with your heart and obviously gave you quite a dilemma.
It also sounds as if you have weighed up the pro’s and con’s of the boosters and that you have made the decision that was right for you.
Look after yourself