It’s Christmas time - How are you feeling about Christmas? Will it look different for you this year?

Hi @judesadventures, it must be so, so tough for you and I know you are torn in all directions but it is not safe and you are being sensible a really good description of heart v head.
Although video calls are sometimes quite difficult I am sure you will find ways of communicating.
Your love and care is absolutely brilliant with everybody and please care for yourself just as well and try and get a bit of ‘me time’ over the holiday period. So much love to you and your whole family xx

1 Like

Well what a difference 24hrs can make!
All plans cancelled.
Daughter in Tier 4.
Can’t see grandson as he’s at other grandparents for Christmas Day.
Think I’m going to give him his slippers & the jumper with the tractor :tractor: on, to open without me, worried he’ll have outgrown them before we get to have our ‘Christmas Day’ together.
It’ll be me & hubby :mrs_claus:t2::santa:t2:holed up here in front of the telly, with our roast chicken dinner & a few glasses of bubbles :clinking_glasses: :champagne: . Merry Christmas everyone.
Keep safe :kissing_heart: :hugs:
Christine

1 Like

Oh @Corfu80, I love the little icons of you and hubby.
Being in Tier 4 actually has not changed our plans or lives.
Don’t forget we will all be supporting each other on this forum.
Has it changed others plans?

@Corfu80 I’m so impressed about how positive you are being. I can see you mean to make the best of it. Plan A for me was to stay with my sister. That was already off before last night’s announcement. Plan B was to find a nice hotel and a restaurant for Christmas Day. That also hit the buffers once we went to tier 3 though my landlord was inviting guests to stay on Christmas Eve and for dinner on Christmas Day and was dropping hints that I’d be in the way and there were still some hotels offering rooms and room service. I’m assuming that his plans are scuppered now too and there’s certainly no question of room service here or in a hotel. Christmas TV better be good :laughing: Good luck everyone.

2 Likes

Hi @Franko a chef and washer upper sounds appealing to me.
How have others holiday periods changed in the last 24 hrs?

1 Like

I think it’s better to use the word cope rather than celebrate. I’ll just think of it like any other day and keep busy and forget that its Christmas. Of course if I adopt that attitude I won’t feel upset about everything. In reply to the post I don’t want to insult anyone and that’s how I will deal with it, with great difficulty may I add!

1 Like

Hi @anon06. I think we all do what we need to do to get through this difficult period. I understand from your posts that it is going to be a hard time for you. I’m sure all off us can relate to that to some extent. However, for me, some parts of Christmas may mean I have to cope a little and just get through, but I hope, and plan, to have many moments to celebrate as well. We will all be here to support each other whatever our circumstances and experiences. What things to you do to keep busy. Any exciting hobbies?

2 Likes

Hi @anon06, someone said to me that Christmas Day is only another day with tinsel.
How will others get through the day?

1 Like

I have a MAMOTH music collection

2 Likes

I also absolutely love my music, anything from the sixties onwards from heavy metal to all those romantic classics.

1 Like

Your favourites are …

2 Likes

Too many to mention. I like Elvis, Celine Dion, Mowtown and if I was to pick my favourite soundtrack I would say “,The Commitments”. I also like Abba, The Beatles & Queen. That does not even scratch the surface.
I like Classical Rock & Ildivo as well.
Dolly Parton is awesome, best known for country of course, but incredibly versatile. Check out the Great Pretender Album!

1 Like

I haven’t watched the commitments for ages. I would agree that the soundtrack is amazing! I saw Ildivo in concert. One off my favourites!

2 Likes

You will see I’ve added more to my previous post

1 Like

A real varied taste! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @judesadventures and @Corfu80. I know all of your plans had been changed due to the restrictions. I just wondered how you christmas went and how you are both doing? I can imagine it was tough at some points, I know it was for me x

1 Like

Thanks for asking. If I may be honest and say that I really struggled and am glad Christmas Day is over and done with. I missed spending it with my parents - we Zoomed and I hated seeing my dad look so old and tired. We do daily phone calls and have done for mths and they’re definitely easier than seeing him. They had a good if quiet day and were really cheery at least.
I think the biggest break in tradition was not being able to speak with my best friend Lins for the first time in almost 30yrs - she’ll be gone 10mths tomo. I got a video of her son opening presents and it just broke my heart - her husband, sister and parents spent some time together and I know missed her terribly. My hubby bought me a print by Brian Andreas (indeed signed by the artist himself) - Lins introduced me to his work in 1997 and bought me one for all the big occasions in my life - graduating, moving in with Nige, getting engaged, getting married and having our son. They adorn our house and mean so much- this new one says ‘There is nothing I can say that will bring her back, all her bright futures spread before us. But I will stand here all the same with you, my heart broken open with yours and remember what we have lost’

Beautiful sentiment and I’ll pick myself up again soon I’m sure. Every good wish to all of you, take good care folks

1 Like

Hi @judesadventures. Off course you can be honest. This is one place we all can be! I can imagine, as for you, Christmas was really difficult for lots of families and we need to be open about that l. I completely understand how it’s different when you actually see people and it’s not just hearing them on the phone. I find zoom really difficult, as for me, I can hold it together on the phone, whereas when I see peoples faces I miss them even more. I’m glad they were ok though and they probably felt all the better for seeing you. What an amazing and thoughtful gift from your husband. She sounds like she was the most amazing friend and a huge part of your life. Please take care of yourself. Will look forward to hearing from you soon X

1 Like

Oh, Jude a really tough time for you on so many levels. Seeing your dad look older and so tired must have broken your heart.
Also your first Christmas without being able to contact Lins and seeing the video of her son opening his presents must have been so, so hard, you must miss your best friend and confidante so, so much.
Over the past few years you have been through so much, so many losses.
As for your hubby’s Christmas present and inscription you really brought a tear to my eyes. What lovely memories you have with Lins.
We are all here to support you and you can never take up too much time on here.
Did anyone else have similar feelings over Christmas?

1 Like

Hi @judesadventures. How have you been over the last few days?

1 Like