Lockdown easing and shielding pausing

Hi @Strad. I think it’s so important to take things at your own pace. I’ve started meeting family in outdoor spaces and it’s felt fine. I hope you manage to do the same soon! Let us know how it goes :blush:

1 Like

Hi @BobK99. I think hospital visits have been the first ‘proper’ outing for a lot off us hasn’t it. Hopefully it will give you the confidence to try other things. I must say, as soon as people get to close I feel very claustrophobic! I was watching an old game show with my children the other day and they said it felt strange seeing people standing so close together. It’s bound to take us all time to adjust as we’ve been inside for so long. It all feels very strange! Let us know how your hospital visit goes :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve been to the pub a couple of times and had lunch out. On the whole places seem to be being sensible in offering a socially distanced outside service to customers. Just wish it was a tad warmer on the days I’ve been out! It was beautiful on Thursday and Friday, the two days I was at work all day but coat weather on the days I was eating/drinking out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Franko I really cannot face sitting outside in the cold, I will wait a while. I tell you what the wind was biting when I went out for my daily walk this morning, it is a wonder that my fingers can type !!

1 Like

After 25 years of W&W things have started looking a bit dodgy. I’m having A CT scan in 3 weeks, and then another RM appointment 2 weeks after that. After years of annual or 6 months breaks between clinics, a 6 week gap feels a bit serious. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow - 25 years. That must be tough. Obviously amazing that you have such a long gap but I can imagine it’s very scary when things develop! How are you doing?

Oh @BobK99, I think your feelings are so natural. Gone from watch and wait to watch and worry overnight.
I will be thinking of you and please let us know how you get on and take care of yourself

1 Like

Is this availble yet please. I had an antibody test after my first vaccine which showed I had no antibodies. I have now had a second vaccine so hoping it has worked ad I am going on holiday to Kos next month. I would like to have this before I go.

1 Like

How are you doing @BobK99?

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine I cannot answer your question but going to Kos sounds wonderful to me, stay safe and please let us know about your adventure.

Hello , I new here
Broke my hip in July last year, two days later diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, big shock , as only in May lost me Mum.
Had six lots of chemo from sep to feb and now in remission.
Yes I am lucky , but now I feel what’s next
I have decided to give up work and enjoy life, how did u feel when u were told u was in remission

1 Like

Hi @kizzy777, a great big welcome to our forum I am so glad that you have found us.
What a horrible year, during Covid times as well, you have had. 2 such tremendous shocks and loses.
I am so sorry that you lost your Mum, exactly a year ago, anniversaries can be so tough.
I also have CLL and I was diagnosed 17 yrs ago after having a gynae op.
I can remember being told my diagnosis and replay it as if it were yesterday.
I will never forget my fear and anxiety.
Yes, we are lucky, but there is always that little voice in the back of my head niggling away.
Today I am retired and enjoying my life, I had the best 70th birthday ever, just before lockdown, I made sure I actually got the presents I wanted and had a caterpillar cake.
Immediately after diagnosis I wrote my will and funeral music. I then assessed my life and gradually I have got to know myself and how I tick.
I realise family and friends are priceless.
Before diagnosis I went through life on autopilot, now I realise music is so important to me, I need reasonable exercise, I do a pilates DVD every day and I really enjoy my early morning walk, isolating and masked up, and I notice wildlife and nature, every day is different and with the sun/rain/sun/rain everything is sprouting out there.
The best things in life are free.
Taking early retirement has been wonderful for me, I didn’t realise how stressed I was by work.
What I did do was to take on too many commitments after retirement and I have thought about it during Covid times and I am giving a lot up and I will use my time as I want to and not be rushing everywhere.
On this forum we support each other and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk. Also the Blood Cancer UK website has lots of up to date, reliable information.
I find it interesting that often no matter our diagnosis or treatment we tend to share similar fears, thoughts feelings and practicalities.
If you are having regular tests or appointments you are on something called ‘watch and wait’ or ‘active monitoring’. Sometimes this feels as if you have been abandoned but it isn’t. If anything is picked up or you feel that your symptoms have changed you are fast tracked to your medical team.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

A warm welcome to you @kizzy777, so glad you’ve found this community. I’m sorry to hear that you lost your Mum last year, I can only imagine how difficult that time must have all been for you.
It’s good to hear you’re in remission - how have you been doing? I hope you find connecting with others going through similar things a source of support for you - and remember our support line is just a phone call or an email away too, as Erica has said above!

2 Likes

No news yet Nichola - I had a CT scan, and the results are due on 7 June.

2 Likes

Hi @BobK99 thanks for the update please let us know how your results are on & June.
Take care.

1 Like

Hi all, I know that rising cases doesn’t touch us all because it’s so regional. I however am really struggling at the moment as I am near the hotspot area and cases have gone up here too. I know we are advised to use our common sense in all aspects of our lives but would love to have more direction whether shield again or continue working outside of my home and mixing with strangers daily… and my medical team don’t give advice so can’t ask them either. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Hi @MoMo, there is a lot of talk at the moment that we are the forgotten ones by the government and you demonstrate it so well.
What is the realistic risk out there?
Is it worth getting an antibody test and how would I know what the results mean for me practically?
I wonder if I am feeling too safe in my new normal?
The Covid numbers are rising locally and nationally and there are Covid hotspots on either side of where I live too.
I am not answering your question because I feel the same as you although I am lucky enough not to be working now.
What I have realised is everyone, including employers, out there are listening to the government easing of restrictions ,whilst we are listening to the medical experts and blood cancer community.
The Blood Cancer UK website has up to date information.
Thanks for raising this it is a dilemma.

2 Likes

The rise in new cases is concerning but it looks like this isn’t (at least yet) leading to a rise in hospitalisation, serious disease and death. I don’t think I can reverse again as it would be too damaging mentally. Yesterday I went to the theatre for the first time since 2019. There were at least 2 seats gap between parties and refreshments had to be ordered online and were delivered to people’s seats. It was a very odd experience in many ways and the new normal seems to be that if you haven’t got a smart phone you are being left behind in the brave new world. I think I’m more worried about that at the moment than the virus as I’m too cheap to buy a smart phone!

2 Likes

Oh @Franko I have found I have to try to keep up with modern technology, albeit not everything and a lot of it is certainly beyond my capabilities.
It is a positive from Covid lockdowns for me that I am now into Zoom !!

I’d never even thought about technology and how some people could be at a disadvantage. I can imagine it’s a problem for a lot of people!

1 Like