MGUS Symptoms

Hi everyone, I’ve recently been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) or MUNGUS as I call it!!
From what I’ve read there are no symptoms involved but I wondered if anyone has had strange symptoms that aren’t recognised by official channels?
I have the most dreadful sweats mainly in my head and shoulders, I also feel very unwell, tired, no appetite, not sleeping, no interest in anything at all. I have had every blood test there is but so far nothing is showing up (apart from monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS)). I’m beginning to get really worried as there doesn’t seem to be any resolution to these sweats. I might add that I’ve had them for quite a few years now and that I’m 72 so not likely to be the menopause! Any advise would be very helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @Suan1952 I have another blood cancer so I hope someone will be able to share their experiences.
This is not a medical reply but as for the sweats that you have had for quite a few years perhaps, and I do not know you might have already done so, consult your GP because they might pre date the monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS).
I think we are very complex beings and I find it so difficult to know what is connected to my blood cancer and what isn’t.
I find that shock, anxiety and stress can cause me symptoms too, I found that I needed some help when I was first diagnosed.
However my blood cancer does mean I do get tired and I am also getting older
Please do let us know how you rea getting on and look after yourself.

1 Like

You’ve hit the nail on the head, because most of us are suffering from a variety of illnesses it’s difficult to pin point the exact cause of each problem. I think the doctors have the same trouble as well.
I go to doctors again next week so will see what he says then. Thank you.

3 Likes

Oh @Suan1952 please do let us know how the doctors goes next week and it is OK to say that you find it difficult to know what symptoms are attributed to which condition.
Perhaps write down your symptoms, when you first got them the severity and impact on your life.
Also all your questions, I find it helps me cover everything as my mind goes blank when I walk into a medical setting.
Take lots of care

2 Likes

I agree, I have to write it all down but he barely looks at it!
I’ll let you know how I get on and thank you for taking the time to talk, Sue.

3 Likes

Hi Erica, I’ve been back to the doctors today, I’m afraid I was so worked up that I burst into tears! Luckily I’d done what you suggested and had written everything down. He was very supportive and read my notes and I’d also taken a list of medication that I’m taking. Because I was so down and having problems with neuropathy in my toes he’s given me Duloxetine to take to see if that helped.
I am to go back next week for another round of blood Tests including ones for monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) I will be interested to see what my numbers will be.
Oh well onward and upward so they say, thank you for listening. Sue.

1 Like

@Suan1952 don’t worry about bursting into tears, firstly I think it is so important that we don’t take things internally health wise.
Secondly I think then the other person realises how important it is and how much it means for us.
Good to know you have more tests coming up and we await what they bring.
Yep, onward and upward as they say and really look after yourself and keep posting.

Thank you Erica, I hope all is well with you and I will keep in touch Sue.

1 Like