Moment of the Month!

We want members of our online community who have been affected by blood cancer in some way, shape or form to share their #MomentOfTheMonth . This means sharing a moment in time that has made an impact on you during or after your treatment that you will never forget. Help us spread that message that moments are meant to be cherished, shared, and forever remembered. Please comment below and come share your #MomentOfTheMonth!

18152-Momentofthemonth

1 Like

My #MomentoftheMonth (for this month anyway) was Hugo being signed off from physio. He had significant mobility issues during his treatment for ALL and was unable to walk at all for 9 months. To get to the point where he has improved and strengthened enough to no longer need physio is a huge moment for us. It makes me realise how much he endured, but also how far he has come in his recovery.

Look forward to hearing everyone else’s moments x

4 Likes

My moment of the month was being involved in “Hear our voice” and being at the launch in the Houses of Parliament. It was lovely meeting with others that were involved, and I was honoured that my MP took the time to speak to my husband and I, and then arranged for us to view parliamentary proceedings for a while afterwards

4 Likes

So pleased to hear Hugo has been signed off physio. Seems ages since he was the Bloodwise pin-up :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My #MomentOfTheMonth would be when I was at a friend’s big 60th black tie do (which I was very touched to be invited to) and I had a lovely conversation with one of the guests who’s been following my journey and was extremely complimentary on everything that I’ve been doing. She herself travels Europe, gives speeches for her job etc and told me how much she admired me for standing up and talking about such a personal thing as well as the other things ive been doing… this is not why I do what I do but it was lovely to hear and we really connected on lots of topics so are staying in touch. I love meeting new people who I know will enrich my life.

4 Likes

My moment of the month was waking up to realise I had taken my very last pill after six long months. Putting the pill tray in the bin and feeling thankful for being in remission and off treatment :+1:

6 Likes

Hi Alfie… a very important moment, I remember finally having my PICC line removed, signalling the end of my treatment and its one I will always remember, every detail… I hope you continue to do well.

2 Likes

Well done Alfie, good luck moving forward Rita

3 Likes

My sad #MomentoftheMonth is starting another New year without Emily.

Donna

3 Likes

Yes Donna this must be incredibly hard for you and your family… no words will make it ok but my love to you xx

2 Likes

My dad #momentofthemonth was when I thought I was finally getting used to the whole “cancer” thing to then contract neutrophenic sepsis x

3 Likes

Hello @Alfie,

Thank you so much for sharing your moment with us. I am so delighted to hear that you took the last of your medication and achieved remission. That is quite an accomplishment! How did you feel when you took the last pill?

1 Like

Loving read your moments of the month, thank you forum community for sharing them :smiley:

My #MomentoftheMonth was probably getting engaged on my birthday, January has been a wonderful month!

4 Likes

Donna, thanks so much for sharing what sounds a very poignant, very sad moment and a time for reflection for us all, take care xxxxxx

2 Likes

Leanne, I don’t know what to say but please keep sharing on this site, I hope you find it supportive, we are all there for you.

1 Like

Dawn, many congratulations to you both and a proposal on your birthday, you will never forget that day.

2 Likes

My #momentofthemonth was having a birthday and reaching another year older with CLL, a time for very grateful reflection.

3 Likes

Possibly seems a bit trivial compared to others’ moments, but for me a key one was first visit to Haematology six years ago after recognition of wildly high platelet numbers. Called in to see the Head of Department, who explained the condition, outlined the possible treatments and their hazards, treated me as an intelligent human and afterwards went well beyond the call of duty to sort out a problem with getting my drugs. This should be the norm, but sadly a lot of others with MPNs report bad experiences with consultants. Well done, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary

4 Likes

When I took the last pill it was the start of my body returning to a new normal.
With myeloma relapse is inevitable so it would be a waste not to enjoy my hard earned remission.
I will worry about the future when I get there. :+1:

4 Likes

For me I’d say the first #momentofthemonth was when I was informed I was well enough to continue chemotherapy. I’d developed neutropenic sepsis on day 4 of 5 having completed 3 days. Spent 6 days in hospital until recovered enough to complete day 4 & 5 of treatment. Bizarre to celebrate being well enough for chemo but there you go. Second was in completion of all meds about this time last year.

4 Likes