Possible second cancer

I was diagnosed with SLL in April and have been on watch and wait. I have just had a scan and see the consultant on the 2nd for results. Yesterday I had a letter recalling me for further tests following a mammogram. I told them at the time about my lymphoma diagnosis. We have a history of breast cancer in the family so I am feeling very worried. Has anyone had a second cancer ?

1 Like

Hi, I can understand you feeling worried, I have also had a breast cancer scare, but very luckily all was well. I have also have had skin cancer and now have a round, bald patch scar on the top of my head. The waiting game is the worst for me my fears, thoughts and feelings go into overdrive. Take lots of special care of yourself and treat yourself and please do let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hello. I have mcl,im on watch and wait too. Two yrs ago after a pet scan they said they found a hot spot on the scan results down below, i had a minor op,under Gyni,but they didnt really explain if it was early cervical cancer or lymphoma in there,im still none the wiser. I hope all goes well for you. Always here for support. X

2 Likes

I actually had a severely abnormal cervical smear result, I also had a minor op and afterwards I felt really rough, tremendously tired (fatigue), hot sweats, weight loss, faintness etc. and the gynaecologist did blood tests and then said ‘I have never had to tell anyone this before but you have chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, I cannot do any more for you go back to your GP’. I walked out in complete shock trying to remember those 3 words and thinking I was about to die as he had said he could not do any more for me. I have wondered the same, was it early cervical cancer??? Yes, we are here to support each other.

1 Like

Hi Erica, does that mean your having treatment now? Life is tough sometimes isnt it. Ive just finished my first chapter of my children’s book today,keeping positive and upbeat. Kind regards.

2 Likes

Hi, no I am lucky enough not to have had any treatment for my CLL, but that means I have had to get to know myself and how I tick and learn to manage the symptoms I was diagnosed with, although the symptoms have also changed over time.

1 Like

Hi! Last year, I had NHL in multiple locations (neck, armpit, skin) and then found a lump in my right breast, so my GP kindly referred me for a mammogram, despite knowing about the NHL, to rule out breast cancer too. They biopsied it and confirmed that it was another location of my NHL and not breast cancer. I don’t know if you might be at risk of the same?

2 Likes

Erica, so have mine,especially tiredness and the odd night sweat. Ive been on watch and wait for 3 and half yrs now,the lumps are getting bigger,and theres some new stuff in my pelvis now,but my bloods were good last time. My next appointment is 10th sept.x

2 Likes

I do hope so, I told them at the mammogram about my lymphoma. Just hope they are being over cautious.

1 Like

Please let us know how you get on the 10 Sept, take care.

Hi Lady H, great to hear from you, you really show the benefit of getting lumps and bumps checked out to get an early diagnosis which is so beneficial. How are you doing and feeling now?

I Will do Erica. It comes around so quickly. X

Do you know how long you have to wait for your further testing @SP7 - I hope it isn’t too long for you. I can imagine it’s a worrying wait, and I hope you’re okay.

1 Like

Oh wow @Ladyh13 I can only imagine what a worrying time it was for you. Sounds like your GP was thorough, which I suppose is a relief?

1 Like

I see my haematologist on Monday to get results of my latest scan and then on Wednesday I have an appointment at the breast clinic. Keeping busy doing all my last minute preparations for going back to school to keep my mind off it. X

1 Like

Please do let us know how you get on next week.

1 Like

So I had my hematology appointment this morning. The ,lymph nodes haven’t changed since the last scan which is good but they noticed an area around my sinuses which needs further investigation-if it turns out to be lymphoma they will treat. So more tests and more waiting. Need to get through Wednesday at the breast clinic now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the update, more tests and more waiting, there is nothing worse is there, I know my mind goes to the ‘what if’s’. You have a busy, very tiring week, please let us know how you get on this Wednesday. Take lots of care of yourself.

1 Like

So today was the breast clinic. Had more mammograms and then a biopsy. Need to wait 2 weeks for the results. Seriously feel like my life is "on hold " at the moment !

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the update, yes, it must feel as if your life is ‘on hold’. Another 2 weeks of being in limbo will be tough, but hang in there. Don’t forget that the Bloodwise support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones on 0808 2080 888 if you need them and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm, but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message and they say they will get back to you within one working day. Also keep posting how you are doing and feeling, we are all here to support you.

1 Like