Raised platelets

Hi , I’m new here so hope I’m doing this correctly , I had covid in November last year and was still struggling with symptoms of raised temp/breathlessness etc . My gp took routine bloods this week ,they haven’t told me they are abnormal , I have online record access checked if the results were back and was a bit stunned to find a diagnosis of Thrombocytosis and a haematology referral has been made for me, I’m down for a gp ring back next Friday . My platelets have steadily been rising for two years and this weeks were at 525 , rbc slightly low white blood cell and others ok , so now I’ve got myself in a state of what it can be and I’m so worried, I’m really trying not to google but it’s hard and the more I do the more worried I’m becoming , sorry for babbling i just don’t know what to think ?

1 Like

Welcome @Wardy to this forum. I am so glad you have found us. I am really sorry to hear that you had Covid last year and you are still struggling with symptoms. I can understand your shock at finding out that you have been referred to a haematologist. Your platelet count is only slightly above the normal range and it may well be nothing to worry about. Everyone has a range of blood counts that are ‘normal’ for them and a slightly raised platelet count can be caused by various reasons. It is good that your GP is being thorough. It is so hard for you that you can’t have a face-to-face appointment at this time. I am not medically trained but my advice would be to write down any questions you have and try to keep calm beforehand - easier said than done, I know! Please let us know how you get on and you’ve done the right thing in reaching out to others here on this forum. Warm wishes. Willow

1 Like

A great big welcome to our forum @Wardy and you have certainly got to grips with our community forum well. You never have to apologise for babbling and other things on here.
I cannot really follow @Willow brilliant response to you, it takes the words right out of my mouth and shows the value of sharing and support I feel on this forum.
Your Covid experiences sound really tough.
It is no good telling you not to worry because you are human and keep telling yourself to avoid internet searches.
Yes, make sure you get all your fears, emotions, thoughts, questions and practicalities answered.
We are here to support you and if you would like to speak to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
Look after yourself, try and divert yourself to doing nice things and please let us know how you get on.