Slightly elevated platelets with no explanation

Hi,

I’m a 36 year old female and have been having investigations for about 9 months after a rheumatologist (he was looking into Raynauds, determined no underlying condition was causing it) noticed my platelets were slightly elevated. They have consistently been between 480-550 for at least a couple of years now.

No secondary cause has been identified, JAK2 and other genetic testing was all negative, bone marrow biopsy showed “normal” marrow and platelets.

The consultant I saw at my last appointment said they are leaning towards my blood just being like this naturally, that in order to get the “normal” range for platelets and take an average, some people will just naturally sit outside that.

Has anyone any experience of falling into this category or know of anyone who has? It’s obviously reassuring in one way, but in another I’m left worrying that something has been missed and that this is going to be hanging over me.

I have a history of blood cancer in my family and of other cancers, of relatives that were around my age, so it’s hard not to worry and just put it to the back of my mind.

Thanks for reading/listening!

1 Like

Hi @ZoMoo, thank you for posting and welcome to the Forum. I am sure that you will feel supported here. From a clinical perspective it is very reassuring that all the appropriate tests are normal. Are you still being monitored by the Consultant that arranged all the testing for you? It is understandable that you worry particularly if you have a family history. If you would like any support or to discuss your worries please do contact the Support Services Team Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK. Take care Gemma

1 Like

Hi Gemma, thanks so much for replying!

Yes, I haven’t been discharged by the consultant, I’m due to have another review in 3 months time. I know logically that what they are telling me is good news and that there’s no real point to me worrying, it’s just harder said than done when there doesn’t seem to be a black and white answer.

3 Likes

Hi @ZoMoo a great big welcome to our forum and thanks for posting.
I cannot help you medically but your anxiety of not knowing and not being in control of events, answers and the tidy way forward then I certainly know those feelings and I expect others do to.
I also know my anxiety about family history too.
If you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer Support line is there for you apart to the bank holidays and the holiday weekends.
We are all here to support you on this forum and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hello again @ZoMoo, I am really pleased that you haven’t been discharged as having regular reviews can be reassuring, particularly as time passes. Do get in touch if you need any more support. Take care Gemma

1 Like