Worried about my platelet count

Hi, I’m new here. After reading so many posts, I’m not sure if I even have the right to feel worried…so many people here are really going through a hard time. Me, I just don’t know what’s going on…that’s what has me worried…the not knowing. I’ve had a high platelet count since 2017. I guess it’s not that high…the doctor never even mentioned it. I was the one that brought it up after getting my last blood work results and just comparing it to previous. Went from 417 to 427 to 477 to 468 to 506. My doctor said I need to come in because I need a physical, but she said there’s nothing to worry about regarding my platelet count. I just don’t understand why she seems to be brushing off the platelet count when it seems like it could be an issue. I know I shouldn’t google but it’s hard not to. My sister had non Hodgkin lymphoma about 5 years ago and my nephew (brother’s son) had acute lymphoblastic leukemia about 20 years ago. My sister was just diagnosed with TIA about a month ago. Should I be worried and push my doctor to do testing? Should I be referred to a hematologist?

1 Like

Good morning @Mona and welcome to the forum. First of all this forum is for everybody and you have every right to share with us - that’s what the forum is all about. It’s sounds as though you are going through a really anxious time. It’s so hard when we feel something isn’t right. Can I ask why you have been having regular blood work for the last couple of years?
When you go in for your physical I think this would be the prime time to ask your GP all of the questions you have playing on your mind - write them all down and then yes, if you are still not happy you have the right to discuss this further. Unfortunately I am unable to help with your concerns around your platelet levels. I noticed you said they are not to high and your GP isn’t to concerned which is good. However, if you still have questions around this then they need to be discussed with your medical team/GP. Do you have a good relationship with your GP? I
Remember, the support line is only a phone call away. They may be able to help you in thinking about what you want to ask at you appointment.
Please keep us updated. Sending lots of love :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Mona , your definitely in the right place to seek advice and support, this is what the forum is for. It’s understandable you would be worried and concerned about your blood results. It’s hard not to think of the worse case given blood cancer in the family. We’re unable to provide any medical advice, but Nichola75 has raised some points to think about and explore. As mentioned if you are worried and concerned about it, do use the physical appointment to raise this and see what the say as they will have your medical history and be able to give you a more personalised response. If its helpful do right down all your questions, concerns and worries and that there is blood cancer in the family.

If we can be of any further support, our Support Services Team are always here: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/talk-blood-cancer.

Best Wishes
Bav

2 Likes

Hi @Mona a great big welcome to our community forum. @Nichola75 and @Bav.BloodCancerUK have really said it all.
What I really related to was those feelings of living with the not knowing, they are horrible.
What it does mean is that it gives you the time to perhaps write all those fears, questions, symptoms, family history, platelet counts, medications and medical history.
Obviously with your family history you must be even more anxious.
Diagnosis are usually made on a number of different factors.
I have often found that I have to take the responsibility for reminding my medical team about my whole history, that is just how it is.
Please let us know how you get on and take care.

1 Like