Spring Booster Programme 2023

Can you not simply ask any healthcare people (like nurses) to wear a mask? I do and have not had one person who had a problem popping on a mask for my appointments!

1 Like

Thanks for all kind words.

I do ask but am so tired of having to fight all the time for basic common sense precautions especially when they know my medial history. Have been told masks not compulsory and have to explain etc.

4 Likes

I asked for face masks when I went for my flu jab and was told by receptionist that masks were a choice and they canā€™t enforce nurses to wear them even though the walk in clinic was supposed to be for vulnerable people

Our cancer unit still wears them

I recently had a mammogram and the team there couldnā€™t have been more helpful
I had the first app of the day both wore masks and the following ladies were asked to wait outside until I was done and they used hand gel and cleaned as they went

3 Likes

I think you were unfortunate with that response from the receptionist - what a stupid reply he/she gave you!

I was at Wrexham Hospital for another MRI yesterday and explained that I couldnā€™t sit in the waiting room as some of the people werenā€™t wearing a mask and the nurse created me my own waiting room in a corridor cul de sac, moving a chair and bringing a portable radio. She then informed the X-ray team who all wore masks, even walking past me by a fair few feet. It might help that I only wear an FFP3 mask which almost screams ā€œvulnerableā€?!

2 Likes

Hi Ted i have been able to book myself in for my 7th jab (spring booster) on 13th April - however when i asked if my hubby could have one i was told no and that they are only for over 75s and people like us blood cancer or immuno suppressed - it would make sense to have those living with you protected but guess thats not a priority now :wink:

2 Likes

no thanks.after the expeiriance with the last six jabs.side efects.

2 Likes

How are you doing @brick? Did you not respond well to the last vaccines?

1 Like

Can Blood Cancer UK, and others, petition for household members to be included, please?
It makes no sense to exclude them and has always been available in the past (often after persistent representation!) for 'flu and Covid jabs.
I had my invite to book booster today, from my GP, which Iā€™ve done. Hopefully, my husband can also have his jab, as on previous occasions.
Covid is certainly still around, under the radar as itā€™s no longer reported, but we all remain vulnerable.
Thankyou, Beverley

2 Likes

Went online to the NHS England app today and got my spring booster booked in for 19th April. Is there anything further that @BloodCancerUK can do to lobby the JCVI/DHSE to allow household members to also get a spring booster jab? Weā€™d even be willing to pay for my hubby to get a spring booster !

4 Likes

I agree ref, household members being eligible but certainly not that they should pay! Thatā€™s the thin end of a wedge thatā€™s already too big - NHS care should be equally available to all, regardless of ability/willingness to pay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I totally agree , I would much rather household members got an automatic right to free jabs. But flu jabs can at least be accessed privately for those who are not eligible for free flu jabs so was wondering if as a plan B the Govt might at least allow people not eligible for free covid jabs to access them privately . I absolutely hate the growing health inequality created by this Govt and wish services could be free to all.

3 Likes

I see the 6 month to 4 year old high risk kids could be up for the ā€˜needleā€™ from mid June.

2 Likes

Hi, I am sure that you are aware but just incase not, immunosuppressive people can now book the latest vaccine online. It is easy and I got an appointment for 22 April. Good luck everyone.

7 Likes

Well it would appear that this may well NOT apply to those diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).
I logged onto the NHS website to seek clarification and was advised I wasnā€™t able to book an appointment.

I would note, Iā€™m not concerned about not having any additional vaccinations, I simply wanted to see if the opportunity to engage in this process was available to myself as supposedly someone ā€˜at-riskā€™!

It would appear not to be the caseā€¦

1 Like

Hi @NobbyN and @Belinda Thanks for your experiences I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurse advisors for the up to date information @BloodCancerUK_Nurses
Take care both of you

1 Like

Hi Guys,
For me I enquired at GP Med Centre if I book on the web or wait for the Med Centre to invite me.
They know my status (B-Cell WM) and said if Iā€™ve not been invited by them by mid April then I call them.
Not for me to rock the boat but they threw in the one liner " and donā€™t bother with the NHS web site"! I certainly got the idea that ā€œlet the GP leadā€
OK Iā€™m sure as long as your GP has their records/admin correct against your Haemo-Oncologist diagnosis.
If in doubt shout out :triumph:
Keep safe folks

1 Like

Dear @NobbyN
I am very sorry to hear that you were not able to book a COVID Booster appointment, may I ask what was said when you tried to book? It should be that all blood cancer patients can access this Booster as documented here: Covid vaccine for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK
Whilst it is your choice to go ahead with the booster I thought I would send through the details and if I can help please do get in touch.
Kind regards
Gemma

2 Likes

Donā€™t you worry @Iain I will shout loud and clear if I donā€™t get an invite by mid April. Yes, keep safe and thanks @Iain

2 Likes

I booked mine on the nhs website yesterday for three weeks time.
I was dismayed for others when I saw the vaccination centres which are about ten miles distant and not easy or quick to access by public transport. Some do not have much parking nearby either if you go by car. The walk in centres were about twenty to thirty miles distant. When you consider it is clinically vulnerable folk using them there must be some who will find this difficult.
I do hope the same is not true for you all in your areas.
Maybe the GP will be aware of more choices?

4 Likes

I have already been contacted by my GP surgery and have an appointment for next week

2 Likes